What did you, yourself, Repair recently?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once in a while, my starter would not respond to the key command, but after a few tries, would.

As the Ignition switch is fairly new I moved it down the possible culprit list and decided that I would open up the starter relay, which transfers power to the starter solenoid on the starter.  A relay controlling a bigger relay.

Anyway I saw this, And by the way, screw you photobucket.

20170707_143849.jpg

Theree was a bigger green load of brocolli before I removed relay from firewall, and a few strands broke just before this photo bending the wire to get a better look.

Removing this contact from within the connector was simple, Chrysler has this little blue wedge in the middle, that once removed, allows one to simply back the contact from plastic body.

I replaced with a quality tinned copper quick connect, crimped and lightly soldered and heatshrunk with new tinned 12awg, and another crimpsplicesolder to existing wire.

It might not have been my current issue, but it would likely have made itself one at a very inopportune time no doubt.

20170707_143819.jpg

20170707_152256.jpg

By the way, rot in hell photobucket.

I also opened up the relay itself. there was some crust on the main contacts but not too bad.

They look like this on my '89

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4589445&cc=1073506&jsn=462

The portion of wire I cut off revealed there was connectivity, until I wiggled it just so. After many wiggles I could not open the circuit.

highdesertranger said:
points,  points.  that would have to be a 1973 or older Chevy.  convert that baby to HEI,  it's bolt on with factory parts.  highdesertranger

Must have been something my dad talked about then. :angel:  My oldest vehicle was a 77 nova... what are those little metal rods on inside of cap called?  They were corroded like crazy.
e

highdesertranger said:
dang,  Willy that looks like a cabin.  spacious.   highdesertranger

Thanks. There's a ReStore (habitat for humanity) in Abbotsford and all that hardwood flooring set me back was around $80 usd. I couldn't even buy G1S 1/4 ply for that price. Of course, cutting/fitting/screwing every piece was a chore, but the results give the totally erroneous impression that I know what the hell I'm doing. ..Willy.

The only thing I've had to do in the last little while is the normal oil change and filter.. Tomorrow night after work I will be replacing the brake master cylinder in Big-Blue. (Its leaking out the seal..)

:) Today I took my steel double ended pry bar and tried to convince that egg sucking sliding lock thingy on the storage unit door that it really needed to work properly.......Or I'd play Whack- A- Mole some more.   It just sat there 'til i went and got some help.  He had a BIG CAN of WD 40........Show Off....... :D Queenie missed it all.

Jewellann

Where's that damn badge thingy anyways  :huh:

TJB
You Ain't got a "Stinkin' Badge" yet ?
I KNOW you're more than qualified!
Come on down and claim 'er !

A box of maintenance parts just arrived: serpentine belt, spark plugs and shocks. Something to fill part of my Saturday. Those things hadn't been changed in the 100K I've owned the van. Figured it was time.

Oh boy, where to start? I have been bouncing around between a bunch of jobs. Since we are planning to head west in 2 weeks, I had to climb up on the roof of the rv and replace one roof air unit. Then, put 4 solar panels up there and run the feed wire down below. Installed the 4 golf cart Batteries and built a new holder for the charge controller and installed the Inverter. Climbed under the rv and greased everything, then changed the oil and filter in both the V10 and the Onan generator. Since I was in the oil change mode (dirty clothes), I went ahead and changed the oil in both cars and my tractor. I had to do the tractor because for the last week, I've been rebuilding the power steering in it. (nothing like a car).

Replaced the steering coupler on my old Dodge van. Now I don't have to correct for crosswinds when I'm matriculating down the road...

oh lets see, fixed the AC compressor switch, cruise switch, mounted yagi antenna, mounted alfa marine outdoor wifi antenna, replaced rear main seal, installed TV, fixed bed board to open correctly, pulled old furnace, tracked down grounding issues from furnace pull, installed 4 12v receptacles, ran and cleaned up all the wiring from roof, built quiet box around generator, ran converter wiring through chassis to generator, reset the camber, install front shocks, flushed radiator, installed new oil and temp gauges and sensors, made storage compartment for tools under bed, cleaned up crusty battery terminals and re-routed wires for shorter runs, installed 2nd inverter, installed fancy weather station, welded a bad tail pipe joint, re hung curtain tracks, made a backboard for bed so can function as a couch better, installed new fuel filter and hoses, all new lug nuts, fixed emergency brake, pulled and cleaned blower motor, fixed RV/alternator solenoid, installed new radio antenna, greased suspension joints, welded new square stud for sliding side door and tapped new hole for inner handle, new ignition switch.

Installed solar panels, two battery bank system, relay type isolater..
Screened ceiling vent that hand cranks opened and closed
Air filter
Windshield wipers
hmmm.....
oh painted the roof...
soon will be putting on some kind of shunts and monitors/meters/gauges for the system...
I did my build without a power saw... if that counts :p So ti's not as good as it could be because I had to cut it all by hand and grew really tired and would eventually say.. this board is this size? ok this shelf is that size then :p
For many parts I didn't even have a drill or anything either... rebuild twice now.. and finding tables and shelves that just fit rather than trying to custom redo a build again... :)

Thanks!! I should probably also add.. that I didn't have a power saw when I did those ceiling vents or solar panels either.. so I had to play connect the dots through my roof with a battery operated drill then this sorta wire-stripper tool that was able to cut (more like rip) the roof out... and then it all came out... lol
it worked though! :p

A fine example of making the wrong tool , the right tool !

Latest posts