What did you, yourself, Repair recently?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waterpump gave out on my 1986 astrovan yesterday. When driving to work I notice the battery voltage would dip down from 14.4 volts to 12.7 volts for a few seconds then climb back up, as I was pulling into the parking lot the power steering became hard to turn. When I got out of the van, I notice the puddle of antifreeze on the ground.

It took me 2 days to change it out, I had to remove alot of things to get to the pump. When I was first trying to install the new pump (i put sealant on the gaskets to keep them from moving) it was hard to line up. after numerous attempts I ended up tearing both gaskets. The following day I got new gaskets and also bought a lower radiator hose (other was worn). The waterpump (cost 54 dollars) on the astrovan is heavy, it was hard to get it in place and start the bolts, but finally got it.

Put everything back together and started it up, everything work good, no leaks. Since I had the van (8 years), everytime I started it up, it always makes alot of noise for a few seconds. I replace fan belts and that didn't fix it. Engine ran ok so I never really try to fix the noise. Since I replace the pump, there is no more noise. I guess the pump was the culprit.

a little tip on gaskets. glue them in place. use something like 3M spray adhesive. only glue it to the part that is removed do not glue it to the engine. glue it to the part and let it set up, this assures the gasket stays in place during assembly. works like a champ. highdesertranger

I fixed up some old lawn furniture so we could gather, but that's out now.

This one's cheating it was so easy. I discovered how to assemble and dissamble power lift chairs. 

Next project is DIY face masks made out of the cloth packaging the chair came in.
-crofter

crofter said:
Next project is DIY face masks made out of the cloth packaging the chair came in.   -crofter

Here are directions:

https://buttoncounter.com/2018/01/14/facemask-a-picture-tutorial/
That type of mask helps protect others from you, but not vice versa. There are too many places for air to  get past the mask. Here is another style that is not much harder to sew. There is also a link to the pattern there.  https://www.craftpassion.com/face-m...PAgTSovw0EFJj6-R-jLfTq1WzXIg_Na278#picgallery

We are repairing the relationships in our family. Since things have gotten serious, and with everyone getting older, the big issues we had have evaporated mostly. 
-crofter

I'm posting a picture of my coffee pot that was referred to previously.

Also a picture of my favorite dust pan that was falling apart. It's a Dollar Tree pan so it's not surprising that it had a short lifespan but it worked so well that when I couldn't find another one (all that I have found since have the rubber strip that gets in the way of fine dust) I decided to repair. The fix was made with a piece of 3/4" PVC conduit, a piece of wood lath and a hot glue gun. Now better than new.

Hot glue guns are great. Mine has two temperatures and the cord can be unplugged so you can use the gun for awhile before it needs to be reheated.

Guy

Attachments

• P1110792.JPG
    P1110792.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 8
  • P1110794.JPG
    P1110794.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 6
The clock, now I am testing it so you can call me a clock watcher tee hee.  -crofter

As long as you vacuum too. I inherited a Bissell vacuum and have yet to tear into it. Most of the dust goes into the air when using it.  -crofter

crofter said:
The clock, now I am testing it so you can call me a clock watcher tee hee.  -crofter
More to do, the clock is two hours behind the time.
-crofter

Sofisintown said:
Changed a broken belt to the vacuum cleaner. Does it even count?
Heck yes, good job, most people would have tossed it!

I remade a latch on the truck cap. One side broke. They are plastic from the factory. I used the base, two bolts, a pad eye, and whatever I had for spacers. All the parts and tools I used are carried in either the truck or the teardrop. I did this on BLM land while at Carrizo Plain National Monument

Here's the original on the passenger side
8ca1c25d1a9e8ba78fca5ecdb447783c.jpg

Here's my version on the driver's side
3496758675e63ef9c0beb0841d366d07.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

And now you know where to find your extra washers in a pinch.  Nice job, crowswing.  -crofter