What am I likely to forget my 1st day on the road?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PPPPPP. Proper planning prevents piss poor performance. It's the little things, so make lists. Also get duplicates if you have a home so you don't have to raid it, you have the major stuff onboard.

This past weekend I forgot a chair and my prescription medicine. Luckily I can skip a day on the pills (thyroid) and not die, and others had extra chairs. I did have water and coffee and at least 2 ways to make coffee.

Grizzly708 said:
I hope to be on the road by mid October.  4x4 3/4 ton truck and 18ft tt. I have a pretty good list but know I will miss something.  What's the most likely things I have forgot??

Well if you are like most people, 6 months into it you will wonder why you brought along so much that you don't need...   ;-)

I've been on the road permanently for six days today, so this is very fresh. For those who need coffee in the morning to function:

Lesson #1 for first night out: get my coffee paraphernalia set aside for the morning. Since I still have the disorganized bins, I discovered that a scavenger hunt was necessary. Amazingly, I had to go through five bins to find everything. Coffee pot, check. Stove burner, check. Propane cylinder, check. Coffee, check. Spoon, check. Coffee cup, check. Saucepan for reheating second and third cup, check. Okay, I am ready to go: lighter. Shit, I had to go through EVERY bin again to find that buried sucker! For someone who usually can't think straight until my2nd or 3rd cup, it was quite the endeavor.

Is been in the 40s inside the van in the mornings. It's bad enough that I have to desert the warm, comfy bed to take the dog out to pee, but it's worse if I have to find all the coffee stuff. Before you hit the hay at night, try to make it as painless as possible for the morning and get your coffee stuff together.
Ted

Don't forget your charger cord to your cell phone; and a flashlight.

Best of luck!

Grizzly708 said:
I hope to be on the road by mid October.  

It's mid October, do you know where your children ar...  oops..  ARE YOU on the Road!  I'm not seeing your count down and stuff :dodgy:

Grizzly708 said:
What's the most likely thing/s I have forgot??
ME!  jk   :D

Small plastic grocery bags. I keep a wad of them in the door pockets to keep the van tidier, and it's easy to just tie up the top and dispose at gas stations or convenience stores along the way.

Also, keep a few bottles of motor oil in your van at all times. We just did 8,000 miles over 4 months and checking the oil a lot is soooo important!

Ditto on the can/bottle openers. I had one "somewhere" but couldn't find it! Had to buy another one, and found the lost one about a month into the trip!

WalkaboutTed said:
Before you hit the hay at night, try to make it as painless as possible for the morning and get your coffee stuff together.
Ted

This is why All my coffee stuff is in one convenient tote... ;) Just add water.
Kind of like how you can use your biffy-bucket to store your tp