What am I likely to forget my 1st day on the road?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in the military, I used to always carry my multi tool in a holster on my belt. That way, I always had back up can opener/bottle opener. ;) May not work for all of you. The one I had was a Gerber model that the plier portion slides out with one flick of wrist. Super useful if you're holding something already to fix it. I still have it after 15 years. The $7 special that folds I picked up at Home Depot? I just keep it as a back up...

MrNoodly said:
It's not like you're setting off to sea. If you forget something, go buy one.

Thanks for the reminder! I think we newbies get a little caught up in the whole "getting ready to set off" thing! I will be heading out in Oct. also and will definitely remember what you wrote.

sometimesido said:
When I was in the military,  I used to always carry my multi tool in a holster on my belt. That way, I always had back up can opener/bottle opener. ;) May not work for all of you. The one I had was a Gerber model that the plier portion slides out with one flick of wrist. Super useful if you're holding something already to fix it. I still have it after 15 years. The $7 special that folds I picked up at Home Depot? I just keep it as a back up...
My 1st multi tool was a gerber. I kept pinching my hand any time the pliers slipped.  I bought a Victorianox Swiss tool ever since.  That and my Glock 20 are with me 24/7/365

one time, hubby and I went camping.. Totally forgot pillows and the entirety of our bathroom kit... But we had 2 ways to make coffee.. lol

once on a backpacking trip I forgot my spoon. so I carved one out of a tree branch. still have it. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
once on a backpacking trip I forgot my spoon.  so I carved one out of a tree branch.  still have it.  highdesertranger

When I made the same mistake my solution wasn't nearly as impressive... I drank my dehydrated meal out of the pouch. I've brought two spoons (or more) on every trip since!

Once, on a backpacking trip, I forgot my spoon too! I lack wood carving skills, so I just reinvented chopsticks out of twigs.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

RVtrek said:
Your bath robe.  Seriously, it's a nice thing to have when on the road if you've got the space!

I was spending the night at a trailhead when just before dark a guy in his thirties stepped out of his camper wearing high end matching pajamas and robe. That's glamping, man.

Florida boondocker said:
duck tape ....

Yeah, my ducks are always coming apart. I'm thinking of switching to geese.

^^^^ Yes

And make sure the snips have a sharp cutting edge on one side. Some of the import stuff was made to squish rather than cut.
I keep a zip-lock bag full of different size zip-lock bags. Way to handy for just about anything. Also keep my Velcro supply stocked up.

CautionToTheWind said:
Personal preference--Have more than one bank account (2 different banks)
Tire repair kit.
Headlamp with strap (hands-free troubleshooting)
Safety triangles https://www.amazon.com/Fasmov-Warni...sr=8-4&keywords=safety+triangles+dot+approved
Flare Gun
First Aid kit
Sun protection
Matches
2 Sighting mirrors
Compass
Snap strap
Bottle opener
Indicate emergency names/numbers within wallet

Username does not matchup. :cool:

theinfamousj said:
...Once, on a backpacking trip, I forgot my spoon too! I lack wood carving skills, so I just reinvented chopsticks out of twigs...

I wouldn't be caught pantless without having my titanium spork on me. Saying that, almost everything I eat has been, at one time or most, finger food!

All great suggestions, but so far, the "thank you's" are a great indicator of importance in post value.(That's a hard sentiment to express! Hopefully, the thought process translates)

GypsyDogs said:
one time, hubby and I went camping.. Totally forgot pillows and the entirety of our bathroom kit...   But we had 2 ways to make coffee.. lol

At least your priorities were in order.:)

I forgot my coffee cup, sounds insignificant but I drove 15 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart to get one. 30 miles in gas for a coffee cup. But I had to have one period!