Van-Tramp adventures 2014 (part 2)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van-Tramp

Reaction score
I will soon be able to get back on the road. Wooho! See, I committed to some temp-work back in March which has extended through the summer and now to the end of October. Sure the savings account has liked it, but my adventures have been pushed to the back burner for all of that time.

I have not sat completely idle duirng this time, but holding two jobs and trying to keep my teenage son entertained during his summer break has filled most of every day. I did get out to do a few things:
I became a resident of South Dakota
I did a rebuild of the van interior
Took a few hikes: McIntosh Lake - Rabbit Mtn - Rocky Mountain Ntnl Park – Ouzel Falls - Mud Lake - Aspen Alley - and biked Hall Ranch again
Did a little camping: Peaceful Valley - West Magnolia
Saw some hot rods, some vintage trailers, and a sculpture race
Bought a small cargo trailer

With the end of my work coming I get to depart Colorado at the end of October, just before the weather gets too rough. I do have to get into California by mid-to-late November as I have tickets to spend 10 days in Hawaii. I will then likely fly back to Colorado to spend Xmas with my Ex and Son, only to fly back to California so I can make the 2015 Rubber Tramp Rendezvous. After that I hope to continue my southward migration into Baja California Mexico where I plan to relax on the beach and possibly have my old van re-painted for cheap. As the weather begins to warm up North I will turn towards Alaska for the summer.

As I did for my 2013 travels and 2014 (part 1) travels I will be sharing my experiences (and photos) in this thread.

Great Sand Dunes National Park
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/great-sand-dunes-national-park/

The Great Sand Dunes National Park has eluded me for years. I have attempted to visit it three times, and even though it resides in the same states as I have for these past years I have failed to make it each of those attempts.

This year Imelda (Ex), Timmy (Son), Moose (Dog), and I (Me) jumped into the Jeep and made the 4 hour drive (which took 7 hours) to spend an afternoon at the Dunes. Moose was probably the one who enjoyed it the most; Digging in the sand until he could not dig anymore. After the Dunes, we stayed the night at a Hotel and made the drive back home after a quick visit to Garden of the Gods so Imelda could see it as well. Timmy and I visited Garden of the Gods back in 2013.

IMG_9896-1024x394.jpg

IMG_9854-1024x364.jpg

IMG_9852-1024x369.jpg

IMG_9989-1024x417.jpg

IMG_9885-1024x575.jpg

IMG_9846-1024x576.jpg

Haha! My dog (Nakona) sleeps that way too! Especially when I take her hiking. At just over a year old, and built for speed, she flies around in the woods. I'm fortunate that she does come back when you call her though.

I have no idea what camera you're using but it takes PHENOMENAL pictures.

Have you had any trouble out of changing residency (SD)? I ask because I'm very interested in the same move myself.

Be well VT - Slim.

Yea the little guy just passed out hard! He had a great time though.

The camera is a base model Canon T1 (15 MP)

"Moving" to SD was easy. All address and vehicle stuff done over the phone and paperwork/plates in hand within a few weeks. I have yet to go to SD to get my license but I understand that is a snap. It sure will make my yearly registration simple (no emissions tests and online payments).

http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/brainard-lake-blue-lake-hike/

Friday, midnight, Moose and I are packed into the van and driving West, up the Rocky Mountains. Our destination was only to get to Ward, Colorado were we parked the van and called it a night. At 6:30 in the morning coffee was brewing and we were only a short drive away from our destination; Brainard Lake Recreation Area.

Any long time reader may recognize the name as I visited the park in July of 2013. Then I hiked out to Lake Isabelle. This trip it was decided to take the other trail up to and past tree-line. Mitchel Trail leads into the Indian Peaks Wilderness on the north side of Pawnee Peak past Mitchel Lake and to Blue Lake, 3 miles out and just above tree-line.

I was not sure Moose could handle the 6 miles round trip, but he seemed more than happy to give it a try and I must admit that he seemed to handle the mileage better than me. The trail climbs gently up too and beyond the 11,000 foot tree-line surrounded my monstrous peaks on three sides. Pawnee Peak, Mt Toll, Paiute Peak, and Mt Audubon all extend above 12,000 feet and watch over the valley in which Moose and I were hiking.

With Moose checking under just about every rock on our side of the shoreline, I settled down to snap off a few photos before turning back down the trail. We finished by noon, just as the crowds were taking over the park. A quick lunch and nap cemented it as a great day away from civilization. The new camera got a workout as well. Those 3 more megapixels sure make a difference.

IMG_0143-672x372.jpg

IMG_0172-1024x518.jpg

IMG_0159-1024x417.jpg

IMG_0240-1024x638.jpg

Blue-lake-1024x289.jpg

This one is worth seeing the large version

Van-Tramp,thanks for sharing the great pics. Love to read your posts.:) Jan

LOVE your illustrated trip reports. Your photos ARE fantastic! And Moose is cool! :)

It's been a rough 45 days. Yesterday was the icing on the cake, the 3rd case of major bad luck to fall into my lap.

The first was Timmy's little fender-bender in my Datsun. He learned just how easy it is to get into an accident, and it has since humbled him in his driving. We have since acquired all the necessary parts to put it back together, but have lacked the time to do so. Now it appears it will sit for the winter.
z-damage-672x372.jpg

The second case of bad luck was my own automobile accident just last weekend. A minor distraction combined with poor lighting in a parking lot and a well place concrete pillar all conspired against me and I well and thoroughly mashed up Imelda's new Jeep. Gieco, who was wonderful with the Datsun dealings may now be getting suspicious of this family.
Jeep-672x372.jpg

Finally, yesterday I jumped on my bike to ride over to the gym for an afternoon workout. I only made it half way where the chain gave out at the worst of times sending me over the handlebars where I landed on the concrete sidewalk... on my left shoulder. This resulted in a broken collarbone, two fractured ribs, and the end of my temp work during the 6 weeks (or more) recovery time.
xray-672x372.jpg

This all reminds me of a quote, "The adventure begins only when the plans have failed" (cant remember who said it). The adventures sure have begun!

Oh my goodness! I hope you're not in too much pain. Please stay out of vehicles until you're healed, better safe than sorry. We're rootin for you, Kathleen

Great pics of your travels. Hope you heal fast.

BTW, I looked at the pic of the rear propane mount on your van. How did you do that? Special bracket? Special compartment? We want to put the tank for the BBQ on the back of the RV but we're told that it was illegal.

Wow! That's some bad luck! I now feel a little better about my own life, hah! :)

Man... looks likes the '3's' has hit ya. Glad everyone is okay and hope you mend soon.

Great pics!!

I hope you heal quickly. Take good care of yourself and I will have nothing but positive thoughts for you. Jan

Thanks all. I will be getting a lot of sleep, that is for sure.

pain killers - sleep - pain killers - sleep, etc