Unlimited AT&T $20 a month

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will second checking the admin settings....mine was shutting off like that (using a charger) once I went in and adjusted the power settings to always on... it quit. I have noticed that if nothing is connected to mine it will eventually power off

I just read through the entire thread, again. Thanks to all for sharing. My Mobley is due in Friday as is my 3G Verizon. I already have 4gCommunity.org (Sprint) and have had excellent service from it for over a year. This will give me three ways to get on the internet as I start traveling this fall.
One month in each of the lower 48, here I come.

tx2sturgis said:
Did you change the timeout setting on the admin page?

Thanks - that seems to have done the trick.  Once I got on my laptop I was able to find the settings and set it to never shut down.
I don't know why it wants to shut down when it has plenty of power, but apparently it doesn't "see" the adapter in the same way as the vehicle?

I would think the device can tell when the car has shut off by the drop in voltage below what the alternator keeps it at.

TexasTuff

You went all out except the TMO and I don't think the seller has the plan anymore or even T-Mobile.

mayble said:
Thanks - that seems to have done the trick.  Once I got on my laptop I was able to find the settings and set it to never shut down.
I don't know why it wants to shut down when it has plenty of power, but apparently it doesn't "see" the adapter in the same way as the vehicle?

Yep....its a matter of the Mobley thinking your 'ignition' is off!

Glad you got it to stay on...I am still under the belief they have a lease timeout...from what I observed on mine, after so many hours, they seem to stop working.

Power will be on, but no internet.

In the cellular world, lease time is how long any one device is allowed to stay connected, and pulling data from any one tower. I think it varies depending on the device, the data being pulled, the use of voice, etc.

So if it seems to go on the fritz after a half a day, or a day or so, just power it down for a minute or two then power it back up. If you power it down every night, you will probably not even notice this little 'bug'.

Let us know how it works for you...and thanks again to Jim for the heads-up on the Mobley.

jimindenver said:
I would think the device can tell when the car has shut off by the drop in voltage below what the alternator keeps it at.

Perhaps these USB adapters don't put out the voltage that the alternator does?  Is that why it thinks it has no power, even tho it's plugged in to the wall?

mayble said:
Perhaps these USB adapters don't put out the voltage that the alternator does?  Is that why it thinks it has no power, even tho it's plugged in to the wall?

This is what I THINK is happening.

I have not verified it. As soon as I can locate my variable voltage power supply, I plan on testing this theory.

Another good reason to let it reconnect is that if you have multiple towers it may not connect you to the tower closest to you. Congestion and priority can cause it to pick a much farther tower or weaker band and it can stay there even though traffic may have changed on it and the other towers. By letting it reconnect either by powering it down or via the manager, you give it a chance to see what is the best connection now.

I'm just glad I got the damn thing to quit shutting down in the middle of my Netflix binges
I'm currently working my way thru "The West Wing", which I think qualifies as escapist fantasy these days.

I just picked up my Mobley from the post office where I had it forwarded. Plugged in the device, it came up in my wifi menu, logged in with the provided password and, Presto, connected!

I did turn off the power saver as it shut down after 30 minutes, and I had to do it from my laptop. The mobile/phone version of attwifimanager doesn't have all the features available as the full pc version.

Others may not have the same issue I've had since I am in a somewhat close together RV park. I had someone jump on my other hotspot that shows how many connections are active. Hmmm, 3 is one more than I am using (phone and laptop). I stopped using my Mobley because it doesn't have a display, at least until I was away from here long enough to lock it down to just one device. You might want to lock yours down to however many devices you will use at one time, unless you know the folks around you and don't mind them jumping on. It is unlimited. However, the way I discovered my intruder was that my response went to crap. They may have been downloading something, who knows. Anyway, I'm one of those folks who don't want the 10 open connections just hanging out there.

I'd totally make you a pot of beans for some internet

is the manager stuff linux compatible?

Don't Mobley's have password protection ability?

Shadow, my Mobley is limited to 5 connections.

And in order for them to link in, they might have used some hacking software to crack the password.

The Mobley does have some higher levels of security, but I have not needed or used them.

Probably the simplest way is to set it for the number of connections you use, and lock it down at that number.

bardo said:
is the manager stuff linux compatible?

Yes, the wifi admin manager page is accessed with a normal browser like Google Chrome or Firefox.

If you are using some unusual browser like Opera or Midori, it might not be.

I am online trying to order it right now. It is out of stock and I can't order one. Hopefully they have some in stock soon. ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tx2sturgis said:
Shadow, my Mobley is limited to 5 connections.

And in order for them to link in, they might have used some hacking software to crack the password.

The Mobley does have some higher levels of security, but I have not needed or used them.

Probably the simplest way is to set it for the number of connections you use, and lock it down at that number.
Yes, apparently someone here has that password cracking software.  That is why I didn't go into the admin from here as I couldn't tell is someone was already on with me.  At that point it is easy for a hacker to get the admin password as the connection is not secure.  The person got on within a couple of minutes when I turned my Verizon hotspot on, as I could see from the display, so I didn't use my Mobley until I could lock it down.  Unfortunately, the Verizon hotspot doesn't seem to have that ability.  It is also easy to spoof MAC addresses, so using trusted devices only isn't a cure all either.  I know just enough about hacking to know what is out there.  Luckily I'm leaving this area in a few weeks.

I did just find out the park here has free WiFi, so whoever it was wasn't doing it just for free internet.

shadowmoss said:
Yes, apparently someone here has that password cracking software.

{snip}

I did just find out the park here has free WiFi, so whoever it was wasn't doing it just for free internet.

Jeeze.

Years ago my home internet was being used by someone with a Panasonic laptop.

I don't own a Panasonic laptop. Never have.

This was in the days of very simple or no wifi security. Back then the routers you bought for wifi had open networks, and you had to actively engage a password if you wanted one.

So I'm noticing a slow-down. I'm looking at the pretty lights on the router, and its going nuts even with all of my computers turned OFF.

I logged back in, and on the admin page sure enough, there was a connection from 'Panasonic Laptop'...who knows even if that was really what it was.

I have no idea who it was, or where they were, or what they were doing.

I locked them out as best I could, and then not long after that, my computer (at the time) got a case of malware.

So yeah, its a jungle out there.

Be careful.

I did have a few issues getting my account set up for payments and accounts access with my AT&T data plan on the Mobley.

My first 2 calls to customer service earlier this month were un-productive, but today I had good luck with the lady I talked to.

It appears you need to wait until you get the first email bill from AT&T before they can be of much help. One of the problems was that I had the phone number of the Mobley, and of course MY info, but no account number or passcode to access the account.

They are not in the emails from the company or on the printed invoice that was included with the unit.  Well, I have them now after after about 20 minutes with CS today.

I had signed up for the 'free' unit and 2 year contract, and my first bill was $92.44 (ouch).

That's $45 for the activation, $20 for the month of service I have already received, and $20 for my next month (the one we are in now). Plus a few dollars for the normal taxes, surcharges and fees.

For some reason, the account shows zero usage of my 'unlimited' data plan and it says right on the account page, "you do not have a data plan, voice, or texting with this device".

lol....

I think AT&T needs a little help with the internal management of the Mobley, but the device itself works great!

Latest posts