Unlimited AT&T $20 a month

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomcor said:
Update::: power setting only works the web version of wifimanager. Changed to no time limit.

From my experience with the Mobley it does not seem to time out no matter what the timer is set for, and I assume it starts the timer when the vehicle voltage drops to a predetermined voltage, probably around 12.5 or so. In the work truck this never happens.

When I run it at home on a small 12v power supply it never times out either, even when set to 30 minutes.

I assume, that on a separate continuous power source (not the OBD port) as long as it sees 12.5 or more, it will stay on.

tx2sturgis said:
From my experience with the Mobley it does not seem to time out no matter what the timer is set for, and I assume it starts the timer when the vehicle voltage drops to a predetermined voltage, probably around 12.5 or so. In the work truck this never happens.

When I run it at home on a small 12v power supply it never times out either, even when set to 30 minutes.

I assume, that on a separate continuous power source (not the OBD port) as long as it sees 12.5 or more, it will stay on.

The 30 minutes is AFTER the car turns off, so after there is no power supplied (and that would be where the predetermined voltage you spoke about comes in).  So with a continuous power source it will be as if the car never turns off.

Once I realized that, I put the setting back to 30 minutes so that I can always keep it in the car (unless I want to move it to the trailer) and I won't have to worry about it running the car battery down.

StarEcho said:
The 30 minutes is AFTER the car turns off, so after there is no power supplied (and that would be where the predetermined voltage you spoke about comes in).  So with a continuous power source it will be as if the car never turns off.

Once I realized that, I put the setting back to 30 minutes so that I can always keep it in the car (unless I want to move it to the trailer) and I won't have to worry about it running the car battery down.

Cindi, there are only two active pins on the device, one for ground, and one for positive 12 volts.

Both of those pins are always active 12 volt supply on a factory OBD port. There is always power to the OBD even when the ignition of the vehicle is off. But the Mobley will not stay active at that voltage.

My assumption is that if you apply power at about 13 volts or so, when the vehicle is started and charging, (which triggers the Mobley to turn on) the Mobley powers up, and stays powered up, for as long as the vehicle is running. If that voltage drops below the threshold, say 12.9, as when you shut off the engine, the Mobley turns off.

If you remove the 12 volt positive and negative, or unplug it, the device powers down immediately , since it has no internal battery.

By knowing all of this, the only way the timeout feature CAN be triggered is when the Mobley detects the charging voltage has dropped to battery standby (not charging) and then the Mobley begins the timeout sequence. It could be triggered by the removal of all wifi activity and/or a connected device, but if that were true, it might never turn off if a phone was left on standby with wifi still active,  and plugged into a car charger.

So, when powered from a steady supply of about 13 or over, it never times out....at least, mine does not.

I discovered this when I set the Mobley timeout for 30 minutes in the semi, (powered thru a 12 v power port) and it never shut off on any night I left it plugged in. We run an APU (auxiliary power unit) overnight, and it has an alternator to keep the 4 truck batteries at full charge, as well as power the air conditioner, or the heater, and the 1800 watt inverter, for what are called 'hotel loads' in trucking lingo.

So in other words, the timeout never activated, since there was/is a good steady 13.6 all night long in the truck.

BTW, when plugged into my van's OBD port, it DOES power down after the vehicle shuts off and the timer interval has expired.

OK...bottom line is: From what I can figure out with mine, the ONLY time the timeout has any effect is when I plug the Mobley into the OBD port on my van.

All of the other ways I power it, it stays on, no matter what the timeout is set for.

As always, YMMV.

LOL...that was a pretty long winded way of saying what I said.... when it's plugged in to a continuous power source the timeout doesn't take effect, but when it's plugged into the vehicle it does.

StarEcho said:
LOL...that was a pretty long winded way of saying what I said.... when it's plugged in to a continuous power source the timeout doesn't take effect, but when it's plugged into the vehicle it does.

Yep, and that's also exactly what I said in my previous post number 121, but you seemed to disagree so I explained it in a further level of detail to help you.

I'm glad we agree.

I wanted to update this. I have been saying that the 17th was the cutoff for getting a Mobley at $20 a month unlimited. Since then the page you order the Mobley from shows $0 for the monthly cost and you can not progress past that point. I hope those that got one enjoy them as much as I have mine.

Thanks Jimindenver for making us aware of the deal. I thought about it for quite a while then with the 17th cutoff coming I hit up an AT&T store last Friday and signed up. I went for the free device with 24 month commitment so I would feel locked in. The store employee had no knowledge of the plan but was good-natured about me educating him from what I had read here, and was finally able to get me all set up.

Of course the device wasn't in stock at the store, but online it showed a status of available to order. Several times previously when I had checked it had showed the device unavailable. They gave me an estimated shipping date of mid-August, but the next day, Saturday, I got an email saying it was shipping, and now UPS shows it scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Sadly I will have to wait for it to be forwarded from my mailing address to someplace on the road, but I should have it next week.

After 2 days of dealing with the ATT professionals I have almost got mine working. I'm running mine on my jumpstart device and it powers up just fine. Now to access the WIFI manager that no one at att is aware of and all will be well. .....Maybe.

Wasn't being rude, Tx, I've been dealing with att for two hours. a bit frustrated..

I'm logged on and it's activated. I'll work on the changing password later, after the Xanax kicks in.

No worries mate.

I assume you know that as soon as you change the password and hit apply, it will kick your ass right off. You might get a spinning star or something...it wont help to wait till it clears...you are gone.

So be sure to have that new password written down.

Ok, back to my quiet corner of the room......

:dodgy:

When JiminDenver un-retires AT&T needs to hire him in the technical department.

It's working, sort of and that's all I need for now. My mistake was trying to find the manager thing with my phone not connected to Mobley. My fault.

One Xanax and I am good to go.

Me, un retire? I know I have been getting bored lately but that's taking it to a extreme isn't it? It's just taking some time to get use to NOT having to do anything.