Unlimited AT&T $20 a month

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[ATTACH=full said:
13634[/ATTACH]StarEcho pid='300796' dateline='1497016905']Cool Pat, I didn't realize you could plug into the mobley like you did!  On just those pins.  Learn something new every day!  If I'd done that I might have just put heat shrink around it and call it a day....  

Anyway, thanks Pat for comparing notes.  Hopefully we will give ideas to someone else who wants to do it themselves.

Oh, and really thanks Jim for bringing this to our attention.  It's a great device and good deal (even if they jack the price up)!

I found the diagram on the web... Jim and I both found a YouTube video where a guy was using what LOOKED like an Anker power source and was just hooking up to pin 4 and 16... so that's where I got the idea. 

And I agree with you:  Thanks, Jim for once again showing us the way out of the darkness!   :D

Attachments

• OBD-II_Pinout.jpg
    OBD-II_Pinout.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 19
pnolans said:
I found the diagram on the web... 

The above diagram is WRONG!!!!  The color for POSITIVE is RED, NOT ORANGE... please do not follow that!!!! 

The pin designations are correct.. follow the wiring diagram /pin-out someone StarEcho posted earlier.

I would personally recommend looking up the diagram for the brand of cable you have. IE, the one I ended up using had light blue for negative, not black. It was still pin 4 though. So the key is to find out what COLOR wire corresponds to each pin and that can differ with the maker. In the q&A for amazon for the cable I got, someone had asked about the wire colors so the answer for me was there. Pretty sure I looked it up somewhere else though, although I can't tell you where now....it's that CRS kicking in....

pnolans said:
The above diagram is WRONG!!!!  The color for POSITIVE is RED, NOT ORANGE... please do not follow that!!!! 

The pin designations are correct.. follow the wiring diagram /pin-out someone StarEcho posted earlier.

Apparently, I'm STILL wrong... I'll report back when I've got it working.

StarEcho said:
.  In the q&A for amazon for the cable I got, someone had asked about the wire colors so the answer for me was there.  Pretty sure I looked it up somewhere else though, although I can't tell you where now....it's that CRS kicking in....

Yeah, I just ordered one of those; where the guy have all the colors with the pin-out designation.  I also am going to try using the light blue on the one I have.  
Thanks,
Pat

jimindenver said:
For those lazy like I am. there are a number of adapters for under $30 on ebay.

Well, Jim.. we both know I'm plenty lazy.  But this is like a puzzle I'm going to solve, and I'm trying to NOT spend $$$ I don't have to.  Isn't that in the CRVL 10 commandments?   :D :p

I currently DO have working solutions... I just would like to improve the "presentation" some.

StarEcho said:
I would personally recommend looking up the diagram for the brand of cable you have.  IE, the one I ended up using had light blue for negative, not black.  It was still pin 4 though.  So the key is to find out what COLOR wire corresponds to each pin and that can differ with the maker.  In the q&A for amazon for the cable I got, someone had asked about the wire colors so the answer for me was there.  Pretty sure I looked it up somewhere else though, although I can't tell you where now....it's that CRS kicking in....

Sorry if I didn't remove enough, Cyndi.  
It turns  out on the harness I have that pin 16 is green / a white stripe!!!!  

Thanks, StarEcho.

Pat

While the Mobleys are not in stock, AT&T is taking preorderes for them to be delivered later this month or beginning next month. I took a fellow dweller into the AT&T store next to Walmart in Flagstaff, showed them about the Mobley, the Connected car account and how to set it up and he was able to order one to be delivered to the store when they come in.

Now that I have shown them about it anyone can walk in and order it. First they didn't believe me. Then they said it could only be attached to a existing account. Then I had to show them my account and how to order it. Katie and the manager are pretty well versed in it now and likely ordered their own.

After two days of wonking around on the phone and then going to the AT&T store and talking to the guy there .... I finally got mine ordered today. but it won't be in till the middle of next month.

Just to let you know, the guy at the store said these were being discontinued and that was the reason he didn't have one on hand. I have also read else where that this promotion was only supposed to run to 7/7/17. So for those that think they want one of these... you might better hurry and get your order in.....Guy at the store said that one you had the order in you would still get it even of they quit offering the plan

After being told his would be in next month, my friend received shipping info today.

This item looks like a good deal, and I wasnt even shopping for a data plan and device....I have set one up in a shopping cart and will order it within a few days.

Since they wont send one to my PO box, I'm waiting a few days so I can time its arrival when I will be home...

There are a lot of places where my T-mobile based data does not work...so this will help.

Thanks for posting it.

It is easiest to stop in a AT&T store corporate or authorized dealer so that they can set it up right and get you verified right then. I ordered a number of times and it was canceled because they said they could not verify me. I mentioned it in the store this last time, they looked and said it was the credit report with a score high enough to be a red flag and no new accounts in years. They would only verify me in person even though I could have done the same process over the phone like I did in the store. My friend breezed through the process in person once I had explained it all.

tx2sturgis said:
There are a lot of places where my T-mobile based data does not work...so this will help.

Thanks for posting it.

Sending it to your billing address may be a good thing. I was trying to send it to the shipper in Cottonwood so I am sure that was part of my issues. Out of all of my devices I would cancel my T-mobile first since it connects even less than Sprint does and only once has been the best service out of the four.

I dont think we even have an AT&T store where I am right now, but I will be try to stop into one when I'm on the road this week.

Thanks again.

tx2sturgis said:

I'm really in the boonies, my verizon jet-pack won't get a signal, and the Mobley is working great.  AND I haven't bought one of Jim's signal boosters yet!  

I love my Googly-Mogley . (Thanks, popeye)

I was just on the site helping another forum member order one and they show in stock as of right now.