Unlimited AT&T $20 a month

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know but it definitely would be hard to use my booster cradle with it plugged into the truck, plus I believe my brake controller to the trailer is using the port.

As a update.

I tried reordering it through AT&T but didn't chose the free option this time only to have the order cancelled again. I tried to order it online at Best buy but that wouldn't work either. My choices at this point is to buy it off of ebay for $99 and have it shipped to the shippers in Cottonwood or order it in store in Prescott and activate it when it shows up 9 days later. I am going to do it in store as I am coming up to the 14 day limit here in Coconino NF anyways and need to move. It's a hour and a half drive so I will do it after I move over there, I just don't like to leave the trailer unattended for long. That way it's free with a 2 year contract at $20 a month unlimited.

Just got the email canceling my order too, because they couldn't confirm my identity. Wish they could call you to verify whatever needs verifying in their minds. Ahh well, I suppose i can make a trip to the local store and see if they have one.

Check the best buys in your area, if none have it, have them order it in. You still get it free with the two year commitment. That sounds bad but at $20 a month, I'd rather they not have the option to change their mind about the cost.

Ha, you think just like me. I normally will pay up front to avoid a contract but in this case I'd rather be locked in for the two years in case they decide after six months the unlimited plans aren't working for them

Yesterday I finally got to order my Mobley device. What a ordeal it has been. I couldn't order it online with AT&T. I couldn't order it online at Best buy. I couldn't order it in store at Best buy unless they had one. I finally went to a AT&T store, had to show the guy that it could be had for $20 a month for unlimited data without having a AT&T account already, went through a verification check and had it sent to the shipper in Cottonwood who will redirect it to where I am when it gets there. No upfront cost with the two year contract.

It would have been easier had a AT&T store or a Best Buy had one in stock.

Quite the hassle all in all but it will be worth it for unlimited data at $20 a month. For those that say AT&T isn't as good as Verizon, my Cricket phone on AT&T with no roaming has had a signal everywhere my Verizon hotspot has in Quartzsite, Yuma, Ehrenberg, Sedona and now in
Prescott. That's without the booster and I was along way from anything in Sedona and Prescott.

Ok, so this is weird.  I ordered my Mobley, and got it the next day.  I now have it, but have not figured out how to use it, because I DIDN'T order the adaptor cable.  I'm on my way into the BIG CITY today for a Dr.s appt, and hope I can find one there.  

Else, I hear post 16 is positive and post 4 is negative. 

How did I get it so fast?  Without thinking, I used my friends physical address out here in BFE.  I tried to have it shipped here, but have my physical address be my mailbox in Co. Springs.   That didn't work, so I left his address as mine. Anyway, I've got it, and if I can find an adaptor, I'll rig up a 12 volt power source with batteries and use that.  I've got one somewhere that I've used to do troubleshooting on other 12V stuff.  Just 8 AA batteries in a couple of holders. 

Pat

Does anyone know if this device will work on older vehicles with OBD1 computers and connectors?

Tom

Pat, plug it into the port on your truck if nothing else. Otherwise I saw te video were the guy hacked the battery pack. Also I am envious that you got yours first. :p

Tom, I do not know

I've been wondering the same thing Pat.  I don't like ordering from Ebay and that seems to be the only place to get the adapters or even parts.  I would order the parts, but they come from China and wouldn't be here until the middle of June.  Seems like $40 (with shipping) is pretty excessive a price for this power adapter.  So anyone have any idea where one could get OBD2 parts in the US?  Could I find a male to female cable and cut off the male end? Something like this? 

https://www.amazon.com/PRODIAG-Fema...99162&sr=1-3&keywords=obdII+male+female+cable

Hook up the wires corresponding the pos and neg to a 12 volt source?  How could I determine which those are?  Does the picture below seem right?  Just look for the red and black wires?  Could it really be that simple?

attachment.php

The connector will be in almost every 1996 or newer car, so they should be available at every junkyard. Car parts places may also have them, but as replacement parts for specific vehicles. The unused pins may not be populated.

2 days ago I had the Mobley in my cart at the att website, along with the $20 plan.  Today they are out of stock online.  Of course.  So I went to Best Buy and they had them, for free with a 2 year contract, but to add to your phone plan, no standalone plans.  After discussing this with their manager, he finally called ATT tech support and verified that there was such a thing as a standalone data plan for the Mobley, then verified the price as $40 per month.  Then when I said that the price had changed March 1st of this year, he relayed that to the tech support and they said, oh yeah, it's now $20/month.  So he asked them if it was a promotion and they said that yes it was and that the $20/month price ended on July 1st, so on July 1st, the price would go up to $40/month.  That the 2 year contract was just for the free Mobley, but that the data plan was a month to month thing and that ATT reserved the right to increase that price any time they wanted. True?  I don't think so, but no point in arguing.  

Basically it was just an exercise in frustration.  After all that, and asking why in the heck I would sign up for a 2 year contract if it wasn't going to be locking in the price, he comes back with the bs that it's very common.  I refrained (with great difficulty) asking what planet he was used to that occurring.  So I said whatever, figuring that I'd argue it with ATT after the fact.  Turns out they cannot (or so they say) add anyone to a standalone data plan at Best Buy.  They assured me that they had no idea how to do it.  They were in awe about the price and there were only a few at the store, so while I won't say they lied I have to wonder.

So I go to the ATT store...not the authorized retailer, but the company store.  They say, fine they can sign me up for the standalone data plan but they don't have any in stock.  They suggested I go to Best Buy and pay full price for the Mobley and then sign up with them on a no-contract plan.  Which is of course what Best Buy suggested.

It's very hard to find on the ATT website any mention of the $20/month for the standalone connected car unlimited data plan.  I found it under the "conditions" tab of the Mobley, but the Best Buy people said that didn't apply to it, it just was a line access fee. 

All in all, very frustrating.  I guess I'll keep checking the ATT website and seeing it they get them back in stock.  Moral of the story is don't wait if you see a good deal.

jimindenver said:
Pat, plug it into the port on your truck if nothing else.  Otherwise I saw te video were the guy hacked the battery pack. Also I am envious that you got yours first. :p

Tom, I do not know
Sorry jim?

Actually, I will be assemblying my own battery pack
When I get home, I had built one before for another
Project.

jimindenver said:
Pat, plug it into the port on your truck if nothing else.  Otherwise I saw te video were the guy hacked the battery pack. Also I am envious that you got yours first. :p

Tom, I do not know

Jim, that worked!  It came up and was visible from my phone.  I have to do some other stuff right now, but I'll let you know how that works... later today, maybe .    Rained  yesterday.  I'm surrounded by a sea of mud!   :cool:

Vagabound said:
Does anyone know if this device will work on older vehicles with OBD1 computers and connectors?

Tom

I don't remember what year your truck is,  Tom, but mine is a 2001 f150 , so I would think it would work on yours. 

Pat

OBD 2 was in 96 and newer vehicles, Tom's truck is an older one with OBD 1, the ports are not the same, he'd need the adapter I'd think

Cindi

I feel for you. I went through the same thing for two weeks calling best buys, calling AT&T stores, looking for it in stock on line, having my orders cancelled...I almost said the heck with it and waited till I was back home where I knew the Best buys had them near my old house. As I wrote above I was lucky that there was a AT&T store near the Best buy I tried to get it from and then it only took a hour to convince, order and be verified. It's waiting for me in Cottonwood now.

pnolans said:
Jim, that worked!  It came up and was visible from my phone.  I have to do some other stuff right now, but I'll let you know how that works... later today, maybe .    Rained  yesterday.  I'm surrounded by a sea of mud!   :cool:

Status update:

The mobley is plugged into my truck and working. I'm on a PC in my friends 5th wheel, and that is the network I'm using. 50 feet maybe?

The performance seems quite acceptable. Still going to build a little battery pack for it. 16 positive, 4 negative. Or so I've been told.

:)

Thank you for the update Pat.How is the speed compared to the 3G hotspot?

Latest posts