Unlimited AT&T $20 a month

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Mobley installed in my car. I'm sitting in my RV, and have a nice strong connection. I do feel a bit vulnerable, and I'll see about restricting access as I play with the settings. I'm in an RV park, and so there are a lot of folks around that I'd prefer not have access to my network. The folks at the AT&T store were very helpful. We needed help getting it provisioned, but there was no issue with selling me the Mobley and the terms of the service.

Thanks, Jim, for all your help. This will make life a lot easier.

I'm thrilled that you got it and that they got it running. I'm at Gooseberry Mesa near Zion and getting 14 Mbps down and 6 up.

This thing is freakin' awesome! Jim, I could kiss you (fair warning, BTW) for letting me know about it. I'm getting to sites and cruising around faster than I have since I gave up my cable modem a year ago. Forgot how much I missed it. I move up to Payson next week for the summer. That will be the real test. It is not so much in the boonies as it is congested towers when all the Phoenicians head through on the way to someplace cooler on the weekends.

You are welcome and I agree, it is pretty awesome. Any of the devices are pretty fast with a good signal, having this be able to roam puts it a step above my other AT&T solutions even if they are free.

I ordered the USB power supply for the Mobley from a seller on eBay on the 28th, shipping label was printed within a half hour, shipped out the next day, and it arrived at Mom's in Payson, AZ TODAY. So did I in my class A, but we are going back to get my car down in Mesa tomorrow as I don't have a tow dolly, the and I left the Mobley in the car as who would have thought I'd get the delivery today already. When I have everything and it works I'll give more details of who I ordered from.

Jim,  I have a car and a lap top.  I have a flip phone that has internet, but almost useless because the screen is so small.  I can listen to youtube vids on it in 59 minute increments.  So, what do you recommend I do to get internet n the lap top in the city currently?

So the first thing I'll ask is what do you want to do? Since you already mentioned you tube I will work with streaming.

The first option is most cities will have multiple possibilities for free wifi as long as you are close enough to connect. Walmarts, Libraries, fast food, even some groceries will have it.

The least expensive for unlimited data is a Verizon 3G hotspot off of ebay for $5 a month. Generally more than fast enough for streaming. Up loading may pose a issue. The hotspot cost between $75 and $100 and comes with two months of service.

For faster up and down speeds in a city, Sprint is usually good in most cities so a 4G community unlimited LTE hotspot can be stupid fast. It's $250 including the hotspot and a years service, the second year is $168 which works out to $14 a month.

My T-mobile is a business account so I'll skip it but this thread is all about unlimited AT&T data for $20 a month. The Mobley device was free in exchange for a 2 year contract and personally I don't want them raising the price. The device plugs into your car or can be used with a adapter. I have never been anywhere yet that I had Verizon but not AT&T but I have been where Verizon was to weak/slow/overloaded and AT&T was a better option.

Last thing is look at your phone and current plan and see if there isn't a way to use it to connect your laptop.

I am currently using my Mobile and the unlimited AT&T plan plugged in via the USB adapter.  I got that one as I have a regular plug in as well as a 12v that the USB will plug into from my cell phone charging stuff.  I ordered from vegajf lateish on Friday April 28, and it came via US mail yesterday May 1.  I paid a few shekels less than $40 for the adapter and shipping.

The Mobley doesn't seem to have a battery, so it needs to be plugged I to some kind of power source to operate. I like that it turns off as soon as I unplug it.  Mobile I'll either use my USB outlet in my car or carry my all laptop and plug the Mobley into the laptop.  Or, I can use it as designed and plug into the OBD port.

I am totally happy with this solution so far.

Please forgive my spell check errors.  I don't seem to be able to correct them from my phone.

I finally got my Mobley and it works very well!  I had already ordered this obd2 cable from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M2VMO4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these connectors just because I'm lazy and didn't want to solder.  If they don't seem to be robust enough I can always put different connectors and do everything with solder and make it all look pretty.  For now I just wanted to see how everything worked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IBFNP7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[img=600x338]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Z...34z8Do_ELj1IgnWqqiiim2CLM=w1006-h566-no[/img]

I already had a 12volt power brick for some other electronic device that I'm no longer using, or can't remember what it was for.... meant for up to 2A so perfect.  It had the 2.1mmx5mm connector ending so that is another reason that I ordered the connectors from Amazon.  Just because it was easier and faster for the short term.

[img=600x338]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/l...wd_wDIrd3P0SqgT7r8dkxwYHN=w1006-h566-no[/img]
Check the back of any bricks you already have and see if they are 12volt and what the Amps are.  I think the Mobley takes way less than 1Amp so anything over that will run it fine.

I also ran up a cord for my trailer that I'll hook up to my fuse block and run along under the bed and then out of the wall near my bed.  This way I can use the same pigtail adapter for both in the trailer and for anywhere that I use the 110v adapter.

[img=600x338]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Y...jHdQwGsftO-_No9WaePeD_LkU=w1006-h566-no[/img]

[img=600x338]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7...IJ87H08QEhw_usZuFsvkZLGy-=w1006-h566-no[/img]

For the pigtail I used the Black for ground and light blue for positive and folded all the other wires over and taped everything down.  All I had easily available was the red electrical tape so it doesn't look "professional" but it works and I'm happy with it.  Since I had all the wire for the 12v connection already, it only cost me less than $14 for the 2 ways to power the Mobley.

Hope this helps someone who might be thinking of making their own connectors.

I am glad it is working well for you Cindi. I sure appreciate mine and even found a place where it connected without the booster where my Verizon wouldn't with it. I have read that the Mobleys are back in stock at AT&T and that the changes to the pricing happen mid July.

I made my own adaptor from stuff I had around my friend Weldon's house.  I found a wall-wart with 12v 2amp output.  I did some splicing and used some wire with wire butt-splicers to squeeze onto pin 16 for positive and pin 4 for negative.   I DID buy one piece of cable : 
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYDR15I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That should make it easy to change power sources ... 

Right now, I'm on shore power, so I'll be leaving it on full-time.  Once I'm back in MY trailer, I'll re-evaluate.  I'm just now getting the DC part of my solar power system wired in.  

I HOPE to be ready this week next time.  But then, I'm notorious for underestimating... 

BTW, Thanks again , Jim, for sharing about the Mobley.  I love this thing.

I'll post a picture if anyone is interested.

I am glad it helped Pat. I was lazy and bought the adapter.

Finding the Mobley in stock can be a challenge. Keep checking back often or see if you can back order it at a store.

[snip.... said:
 If there's a picture or two there, all I see are a "do not enter" sign.   In any case, I'd like to see what  you did.  Sounds somewhat like what I did.   I've got my wall-wart just plugged in to a power strip right now.  If I can see what you did, I might change it.  Thanks,Pat pid='298540' dateline='1496429432'][img=600x338]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/l...wd_wDIrd3P0SqgT7r8dkxwYHN=w1006-h566-no[/img]
[img=600x338]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Y...jHdQwGsftO-_No9WaePeD_LkU=w1006-h566-no[/img]

[img=600x338]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7...IJ87H08QEhw_usZuFsvkZLGy-=w1006-h566-no[/img]

Well, bummer!  I didn't realize the pics didn't show....they show fine for me!  LOL  Anyway, I'll try again just uploading them instead of linking to them.  Must be something about permissions/sharing on google photos.

connector:20170602_112818 (1024x576).jpg

brick: 20170602_112737 (1024x576).jpg

wiring for trailer:  20170602_112651 (1024x576).jpg

attaching to brick for 110V:  20170602_112610 (1024x576).jpg

Hope this helps.  I noticed your connector (SAE) is the one I use for most of my stuff....but my brick had this connector ending and I wasn't sure if I'd need that brick for something else so I decided to use a connector that would work it as is.

Attachments

• 20170602_112818 (1024x576).jpg
    20170602_112818 (1024x576).jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170602_112737 (1024x576).jpg
    20170602_112737 (1024x576).jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170602_112610 (1024x576).jpg
    20170602_112610 (1024x576).jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170602_112651 (1024x576).jpg
    20170602_112651 (1024x576).jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 7
StarEcho said:
attaching to brick for 110V:  

Hope this helps.  I noticed your connector (SAE) is the one I use for most of my stuff....but my brick had this connector ending and I wasn't sure if I'd need that brick for something else so I decided to use a connector that would work it as is.

Yeah, I appreciate the visuals.... Mine is still a little more primitive than I want... but it works great like it is.  

I got one of these to make it a little more "professional"...

https://smile.amazon.com/Docooler-O...97010645&sr=8-4&keywords=odb2+extension+cable

I plan to cut it in half and allow the Mobley to just plug in to it.  Looks like you got something very much like it. 

Thanks for the pics...

Pat

I tried to add some pictures, but was not allowed to edit my post after 15 minutes. 

So, here we go..

My super-professional grade connection to the Mobley.   :D
mobley 2.jpg

It's a little hard to tell, but the wires from the wall-wart or brick are spliced in on the left side of the picture. 

mobley 1.jpg

The reason I used the quick disconnect is in case I want to set it up to just run off of 12v power... Easier to do that way.

Attachments

• mobley 1.jpg
    mobley 1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 11
  • mobley 2.jpg
    mobley 2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 11
Cool Pat, I didn't realize you could plug into the mobley like you did! On just those pins. Learn something new every day! If I'd done that I might have just put heat shrink around it and call it a day....

I did get the obd2 cable from amazon like you did, only I got the one that ended in wires. So I had to find the positive and ground wires. Luckily the company that made them had a schematic on their website and then I just folded the unused wires back out of the way and taped over them. I was originally planning to buy the same cable as you did, but at the last minute found the one I did. Amounts to the same thing though, just was a couple bucks cheaper. woo hoo!

Anyway, thanks Pat for comparing notes. Hopefully we will give ideas to someone else who wants to do it themselves.

Oh, and really thanks Jim for bringing this to our attention. It's a great device and good deal (even if they jack the price up)!