Unlimited AT&T $20 a month

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimindenver said:
Thank you for the update Pat.How is the speed compared to the 3G hotspot?

it SEEMS to be slightly better.  I can do a better comparison when I get somewhere I have a good Verizon signal. 

It's almost as good as my friend Weldon's wireless router.  I'm going to try to stream something from Amazon Prime in a few minutes (Taz and Lacy are demanding their supper)  

You'll probably get yours before I get to a good Verizon spot.   :)

pnolans said:
it SEEMS to be slightly better.  I can do a better comparison when I get somewhere I have a good Verizon signal. 

It's almost as good as my friend Weldon's wireless router.  I'm going to try to stream something from Amazon Prime in a few minutes (Taz and Lacy are demanding their supper)  

You'll probably get yours before I get to a good Verizon spot.   :)

My Mobley was connected to my truck.  It stopped working at some point in the evening.  I didn't go out to look since it was raining jackrabbits and lizard babies.  It's still raining.  So either I ran the battery down (unlikely) or the hot lead on the port has a timeout on it (more likely?).  

check it out in a few minutes. 

Yeah, my raincoat is in my truck!  Good place for it, huh?   :D

Reading on RV.net it does seem to have a disconnect that requires either a reboot or changes in the settings some how. So yours just needs to be unplugged for a moment every 24 hours. It is still on, just not connected. I'll understand more about changes in the setting once I get mine.

StarEcho said:
I've been wondering the same thing Pat.  I don't like ordering from Ebay and that seems to be the only place to get the adapters or even parts.  I would order the parts, but they come from China and wouldn't be here until the middle of June.  Seems like $40 (with shipping) is pretty excessive a price for this power adapter.  So anyone have any idea where one could get OBD2 parts in the US?  Could I find a male to female cable and cut off the male end? Something like this? 

https://www.amazon.com/PRODIAG-Fema...99162&sr=1-3&keywords=obdII+male+female+cable

Hook up the wires corresponding the pos and neg to a 12 volt source?  How could I determine which those are?  Does the picture below seem right?  Just look for the red and black wires?  Could it really be that simple?

attachment.php
16 is the pos power, 4 is chassis ground, 5 is signal ground. None of the others are used for the Mobley.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Yes, thanks... hence the question weather it's as simple as black and red, the normal 12v choices for positive and negative or positive and ground. So that confirms then my thought that just connecting to the red and black wires (assuming they correspond as the picture above to 4 and 16 pins.

I chatted for over an hour with ATT online... about the Mobley, the Explore and the Vicinity... guess he got rather frustrated and decided all I needed was a "microcell"! (The latter only works at home with your broadband internet connection doh).

No "Mobley"s available. I suggested the FTC and FCC need to know as it looks like a "bait and switch" plan. ;)

The others don't appear suitable for me. After all the chatting and his being in my account (I have a cell phone with att) he then says I cannot add any devices to my plan and need to pay $50 a month for the Vicinity or Explore device. That's in addition to my regular phone bill (which is unlimited you see....) It is only mmm what did he say...well...very slow! I complain when my home comcast speed drops below 12 Mbps and here ATT offered 2 I think? He said oh but it's on the 4G lte system. So then I asked him to explain how he gets 4G out of 2Mbps... hahahah he was in over his head I think with my questions and didn't really know the product nor system?

FYI
The vicinity has a 10 hour battery life but you can use it while charging it (from 110v). It can use wifi (if your plan allows you to--- mine doesn't)
The explore has supposedly better connectivity and spouts 256 mb of storage...but not on a micro sd card. It's battery life is 22 hours (24 hour monitoring time). There's an "out of network" surcharge but when I inquired about that he said that "usually" only applies to out of the country... ok "usually?".... hmmmm

Be sure to read the fine print because many things the large print offers is stated as unavailable or even cancelling contract/agreement if you do them...

I like the idea of the Mobley... plug it into the OBDi and it notifies someone if you crash and other attributes... of course it doesn't work if the vehicle is off... but we're all tracked anyway, nothing to be afraid of?

I think they all offer "up to 10 devices" connectivity.... small print says the data speed slows with each device added... not like the power company folks. ;)

When I inquired about the cost of the devices he sent me to a separate link. The page I began on said 0$ and $0 monthly if.... and the linked site said $119 and $199! When I inquired he said, oh that's just the prices listed. AND????

I'm checking with T mobile and Verizon I think. ATT doesn't care that I'm a long time customer it appears; I doubt any do.

I was concerned and irritated about the whole "prices can rise anytime ATT wants" so I looked it up and sure enough, in their terms of service, they explicitly state that they can and will raise prices for plans whenever they want with or without notice. Your only recourse if you are signed up to a contract is to terminate the contract. You can do so without penalty if they raise the price, but for no other reason. Interesting. So really, that means that if you can afford the $80 for the mobley at best buy, then there is no reason to get a contract with ATT since that will not stop them from raising the monthly plan price to $40 in July. Jim, do you have any contract that says they can't raise your monthly price? Just wondering if it's worth it for a contract when according to ATT the contract is only to get a free device and does not have anything to do with the plan price.

Now I'm just trying to decide if $40/month is worth it for unlimited data.... I already reduced my Verizon plan to 8GB and will save $60. If I take my hotspot off the Verizon account that saves another $10/month. So maybe....

StarEcho said:
Oh, and don't forget, both ATT and Verizon offer a military / veterans discount of 15% off of plan prices!

Att and Verizon also offer that for teachers or educational assistants.

Cindi, I will have to see what happens in July. There will be a awful lot of unhappy people if they raise the monthly cost.

I did pick mine up today. It took a call to customer service and two visits to a AT&T store to get it activated and sort out my account. It does work well and responds to the Wilson booster too.

Pat, mine turned off a few times and I found a setting that stopped that from happening in the advanced settings.

tesaje said:
16 is the pos power, 4 is chassis ground, 5 is signal ground. None of the others are used for the Mobley.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I'm looking to put together a gadget that uses something like an Anker for rechargeable power source and I've ordered an "auto parts" extension cable that I'll just use the other end of the adapter for .... we'll see how that works!  

Pat

UPDATE: These are the two gizmos I've ordered...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2JJ8O3/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BHX1X8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jimindenver said:
Pat, mine turned off a few times and I found a setting that stopped that from happening in the advanced settings.

When you get over being mad because I got mine first, perhaps you'll share that with me!   :p

Also, you're looking a lot like Max these days.  Getting better looking!   :D

pnolans said:
When you get over being mad because I got mine first, perhaps you'll share that with me!   :p

Never mind, I found it.  Thanks for all your help!  :p

That will teach you to get yours first. :p

Settings--->advanced--->Power save

That will bring up a timer menu for how long it runs once the engine is shut off. It will advise against selecting never as it could drain your battery.

One of the ebay adapter deals has three adapters. A car, house and USB. Mine was just the USB.

I have the old AT&T iPad unlimited plan. 2 days ago AT&T sent out a message about them adding deprioritzation to it as well. The plan alone seems to be selling for $1300-1400 on Ebay. Is there any reason I shouldn't get the ZTE Mobely and it's unlimited plan, then sell the iPad plan and the Unite Pro i'm using it with?

I got that message on my Cricket account too.

As far as selling it off, I don't what to tell you except make sure you can find a Mobley first.

Wonder what the privacy is in regards to sending your car port data to ATT. Recently State Farm started offering discounts if you allow their app to send your car data (maybe just speed) to State Farm..lol

I can say this to any interested. I spoke with a AT&T store in Phoenix about getting a Mobley. The lady there said she would see if they could order one in and let me know. I never heard back and went a different route only to get a voice mail saying it had come in. So I know of where at least one is. lol

jimindenver said:
 So I know of where at least one is. lol

Yeah, me too.  IN MY TRUCK!   :D

I am gloating.  What a sad and pathetic thing for me to do.  I'm ashamed of myself. 

Anyways, I don't really believe in luck, but WOW.  I hit the market at just the right time.... I ordered mine online and had it in 2 days. 

Pat

Latest posts