Unlimited AT&T $20 a month

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
Here we go again eh.

AT&T now has unlimited data subject to deprioritization after 22 gig in what is called Connected Car unlimited.

https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html#Close

I learned of it from RV.net via this post.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29200191.cfm

There are other post on Howard forums and elsewhere.

A Mobley plugs into your cars OBD-II port on vehicles 1996 and newer. You can also buy a adapter that will allow you to take it out of the car. You can get the device free with a 2 year commitment or buy it with no contract for $99. No charge for shipping but there is a $45 activation fee. You might also be able to pick one up in person at a AT&T store. I checked and found none available near me. I just ordered one on line and will report back once I get it. I ordered a USB adapter for the Mobley here since I have a trailer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252802960047 

I am having both sent to AZ postal Shippers here in Cottonwood.

Van and Motor home users could just leave it in the port if they have one.

What this will allow me to do is drop my Cricket phone down to $30 a month or all together and have unlimited REAL AT&T instead of 12 gigs of Crickets throttled data for a total of $50 instead of $65 if I keep Cricket with unlimited calling and text, 1 gig of data plus unlimited 156k.

So now I have unlimited Verizon 3G, Unlimited Sprint 4G, unlimited AT&T and unlimited streaming on T-Mobile for a total of $56.71. I have to decide if I will keep Cricket for $30 a month or port my number to Google voice. I can run the phone off the hotspots including Navigator.

I still have the Freedompop Sprint and AT&T 4G with no monthly cost.

I'm glad you are staying on top of all this, Jim. So the main reason for all the providers is to have at least one that you can be connected to? Depending on location?
All I have at the moment is ATT with hotspot capable.

That's right Dennis. I started doing it because I needed to stay connected in the Rocky mountains for business purposes where you have no idea which provider will work. In a year and a half I have found ways to have inexpensive unlimited data for streaming on all of the carriers. My Verizon 3G is almost always connected but not always fast enough for streaming. My last spot the Cricket phone could barely make or keep a call but Sprint 3G worked wonderful. Right now Verizon 3G has a full signal but its max of 3 Mbps pales in comparison to Sprint 4G that is giving 10x the speed and instant streaming. Each device has had its day and place since I left Denver the first of the year.

so my older vehicle wont be able to get it, right?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it has an adapter

Devices with ATT accounts are mostly fishing weights out west? If having only one sounds like maybe Sprint will suffice? Knowing that Verizon is widely used.

I just got one online and with no activation fee. Be sure to get the standalone option. Got the adapter from eBay and it works great. Getting 23-30 up and 10 down. AT&T website is now set up for these. Best deal out there.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Actually I have been pleasantly surprised with how well Cricket has done considering it is AT&T native with no roaming. It is rare that it doesn't get a signal.

There are times that Sprint is good but it is usually 3G at best out in the boonies. Verizon is king but at times is overloaded because everyone has it.

Thank you so much for sharing this. You have solved a big problem of mine by posting this. I live in my Prius in the city and this will be amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm keeping an eye on this, right now I have less than 10g for 60 a month on my phone, 22g sounds like a lot

tesaje

I am glad someone here has it and is using it. Normally I wouldn't just regurgitate and only post what I have hands on experience with. In this case I know many of those using it on RV.net to the point that I felt comfortable not only posting it but buying it myself. I didn't do either when you had to buy the device and take a two year contract for 1 gig at $20, then call and have the unlimited set up.

mdoverl

I'm glad it helped. I think that is what the forum is all about.

Art, 22 gigs is just where you MIGHT be throttled IF you are on a congested tower. So you might be throttled only on certain towers or the tower you use regularly may only be congested during certain times of the day. You might never be throttled at all.

ERLH

Thank you for the compliment but I have a lot to learn about being a nomad. I would have never even considered it without this site and am forever grateful for it and those on it. They have helped me a lot.

Well I got a email saying my order was cancelled due to not being able to confirm my identity. It also says I have to go to a AT&T store, the closest is over 100 miles from me. I called and they will try to get one in.

My other option is to order it from ebay and have the account set up afterwards.

Good luck.

If nothing else you could go into a store and get it but call first.

jimindenver said:
Here we go again eh.

AT&T now has unlimited data subject to deprioritization after 22 gig in what is called Connected Car unlimited.

https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html#Close

I learned of it from RV.net via this post.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29200191.cfm

There are other post on Howard forums and elsewhere.

A Mobley plugs into your cars OBD-II port on vehicles 1996 and newer. You can also buy a adapter that will allow you to take it out of the car. You can get the device free with a 2 year commitment or buy it with no contract for $99. No charge for shipping but there is a $45 activation fee. You might also be able to pick one up in person at a AT&T store. I checked and found none available near me. I just ordered one on line and will report back once I get it. I ordered a USB adapter for the Mobley here since I have a trailer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252802960047 

I am having both sent to AZ postal Shippers here in Cottonwood.

Van and Motor home users could just leave it in the port if they have one.

What this will allow me to do is drop my Cricket phone down to $30 a month or all together and have unlimited REAL AT&T instead of 12 gigs of Crickets throttled data for a total of $50 instead of $65 if I keep Cricket with unlimited calling and text, 1 gig of data plus unlimited 156k.

So now I have unlimited Verizon 3G, Unlimited Sprint 4G, unlimited AT&T and unlimited streaming on T-Mobile for a total of $56.71. I have to decide if I will keep Cricket for $30 a month or port my number to Google voice. I can run the phone off the hotspots including Navigator.

I still have the Freedompop Sprint and AT&T 4G with no monthly cost.

This Mobely is a hotspot?  All you do is plug it into the OBDII plug and then into your phone or laptop?  I have a Cricket ... Are you saying I can have a hotspot for the cost of Cricket's basic plan? 

this plus a tracfone or messenger for phone calls and it just made errything quite a bit easier

My experience with ATT for home internet and phone was ever-increasing rates.

I think i'm going to order one. Just curious about the adapter to use it outside of your car. You mentioned getting one because you have your trailer.....if the truck is parked next to your trailer do you think it wouldn't get a good enough signal or does it only work if the vehicle is running? Just trying to decide if I should order the adapter, I probably should. I can use it in my house for the time being and dump my home internet and save the $65/month.