Verizon speed with unlimited "throttling"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matlock

Reaction score
So with my unlimited Verizon "deal" I get 15 Gigs of 4G-LTE speed that is Ok or Good, then when I've used up that 15 Gigs I have "unlimited" data, text and talk for the remainder of that billing cycle.
Here's a PDF copy of the speed I have when I'm throttled. Pretty lame speed for the money I'm spending.
View attachment Verizon speed test.pdf
With these speeds it takes a while to load CRVL and watching a TV broadcast, video or a movie isn't possible.
All I have is WiFi, no cable  and I'm under contract with Verizon for the next 10 months.
Anyone have experience with a better internet service.

And I am so tired of being gouged by USA internet providers when the rest of the world gets it for 1/5th the cost.

Next rant will be on the cost of Drugs in the USA.

Attachments

• Verizon speed test.pdf
    235.1 KB · Views: 10
Shoot, get visible that doesn't throttle (truly unlimited) for $25 a month on the party pay plan and taxes are included. It doesn't roam off verizon towers so I keep my verizon too for the times that I am roaming.

I don't seem to have that problem with Verizon. once I go over I can still stream videos. now if I want to download them to watch later it can take awhile sometimes, other times it works just fine. highdesertranger

I think throttling comes into play if the tower is congested. Otherwise no need to throttle. I haven't tested when roaming. I used to watch netflix on those old 3G hotspots that were around. IIRC, 3G was 600 Kbps too. Webpages were slower but I wasn't in a rush either.

Ditto what Brian said about visible.  I use them as my travel network.  They use Verizon towers and the speeds depending on location and traffic on the tower are comparable to my home cable network and all for $25 on the party plan.  No contract.  They do have a Lousy website and I keep hearing bad things about customer service but fortunately the couple of problems I've had I was able to figure it out myself.  I'm being ripped off by att on my other phone.  But I will find something cheaper when I get off my butt and roundtuit.

I have seen that speed you posted one time but the next morning was fine.

My visible speed gets down to 10 kbps on some days...thats KBPS. The original posters speed of 0.56 mpps is 560 kbps for comparison (think that is correct).

Those dismal speeds would have to be on a congested tower. You must be near a larger metropolitan area.

0.58 up and 0.56 down, same as I have after 15GB.

Before throttling the speeds are much, much higher.

Nothing to do with location or congestion, it is the imposed throttling after I use up 15GB at high speed.

My connection to an internet server is usually in New Mexico and I'm near Pahrump, NV. Sometimes I get a connection in Las Vegas.

When I'm around Austin, NV the connection will be through Sacramento, CA. Tonopah, NV uses the NM connection.

I'll switch to my phone's hotspot and post that result.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-20_12-08-58.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-20_12-08-58.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
Same internet server, different device at full speed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-20_12-21-39.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-20_12-21-39.png
    34 KB · Views: 1
RVTravel said:
My visible speed gets down to 10 kbps on some days...thats KBPS. The original posters speed of 0.56 mpps is 560 kbps for comparison (think that is correct).

Ouch that must be an outlier day or time or something 10kbps is 56k type slow.

When I was on congested towers out west, my data speeds on Visible were pretty slow. Sometimes it helps to toggle 'airplane mode' on and off so it reconnects to the tower. It's also a good idea to restart your phone every couple days or so.

At one point, I started a ticket with Visible support about it. They got back to me a couple days later saying the problems I was having were due to congested towers. That's it. No solution. Um, Duh.

It's just the way it is. I make it work for the 25 bucks a month. Most areas, the speed is ok

Visible doesn't own the towers, so it's not their problem.

I stopped in a Verizon store and spoke with the Mgr. about my problem.
I explained that the Verizon tower is line-of-sight 550 feet away from my home and handed him printouts of my signal strength I ran over three days, same times each day and a picture of the tower out my kitchen window. He wanted copies and was going to forward them on to a district manager. (probably his trash collector, don't know).

Anyway, he promised to get back to me as my home location in this isolated suburb I live in should be a lot quicker speeds than what I'm experiencing. I promised I'd be getting back to him as I have nothing better to do than bug him until I get a resolution.

wayne49 said:
Visible doesn't own the towers, so it's not their problem.

Visible is a prepaid cell phone carrier owned by Verizon.  So yes, it is their problem.  :cool:

Your best solution is to just find a way to display what's on your phones screen on whatever tv display you're using. That way you're using your regular data - not hotspot data. if you have an iPhone you can use an Apple Lightning to HDMI Digital AV Adapter. While it won't work with every content provide - I do know it works with YouTube TV. I know there are also adapters for Androids. If you have the newest Samsung phones you can use Samsung Dex. The newest version you can use wirelessly. Then just use your normal unlimited data.