Loving the Jetpack (so far)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG1912

Reaction score
I've always only ever had prepaid cell phone plans, as I previously only used my phone when I really needed to check email or something (and otherwise kept mobile data turned off), and I've always lived in houses or apartments with high-speed internet.  But now that I am going full-time in my truck camper, I want a real data plan.  I decided on a Verizon "unlimited" phone plan and a separate Jetpack MiFi plan.  The phone's data connection seems to work about the same in terms of coverage and signal strength as the old plan (Tracfone AT&T).

However, the Jetpack has blown me away.  While I've been preparing to hit the road in my truck camper, I've been staying with relatives in New England.  Most of my relatives live in rural areas.  I never got mobile data at my aunt's house in southern NH, but they have good WiFi, so it wasn't a big deal.  However, at my cousin's house in rural western Mass, they don't have high-speed internet, and I got zero phone, text, or data in their neighborhood with my old plan.  With the Jetpack, I can watch 1080P video all night long without few hiccups.

In my research, I read that "unlimited" doesn't really mean that.  As I have understood things, they let you surf/stream at the fastest speeds up to a certain point, and then they start throttling you down.  I'm only a few days in, so that hasn't happened yet, but we'll see what happens.  For now, though, I am loving the Jetpack.

No, there are real unlimited plans out there. Netbuddy is one for instance. I stream sometime 24hrs a day in high def.

What brand and model jetpack? Does it have RS-9 ports?

MiFi 8800L. Yes, two TS-9 ports. I have an antenna on order (Netgear 6000450 MIMO).

I've used a business mobile wifi connection that was not throttled. Any other less pricey mobile connection via wifi is indeed throttled after a set Gig usage. Unless your using some backdoor system for connection. The 3 Verizon unlimited plans do throttle 4G LTE, slowing higher speed, in my case at 15G then dropping to 600kbps. The details are written in the contract you signed and proves out in a speedtest. Because you are still streaming does not mean your still running at 4G.
Also your location and tower congestion will move you to slower speeds. Rural, less congested towers will be quicker but again still throttled at some point.

Another option they say, is to run your connection through a VPN. That way Verizon does not know where your located. Haven't tried that yet.

To verify your connection speed for up and downloads try running https://www.speedtest.net/

That gives your real connection speed in relation to towers.

Matlock said:
Another option they say, is to run your connection through a VPN. That way Verizon does not know where your located. Haven't tried that yet.

Yes, a VPN is for disguising your location to websites but as far as the cell provider, they will always know where you are because your primary connection is to their cell tower.

Sofisintown said:
I also have a MoFi from NetBuddy. Lately, it went up to $65 from $60 a month. But it is really unlimited. I go through 10 gigs a day, and that would be a month's worth of data for some plans. Let us know if Jetpack throttles you.

Yup. 15 gigs per month, and then they throttle you down to 600kps. It's enough to use a web browser and even stream video -- at 480p with no problems and at 720p with hiccups.

Elbear1 said:
No, there are real unlimited plans out there. Netbuddy is one for instance. I stream sometime 24hrs a day in high def.

I have no issue streaming HD all day everyday tethering with my 40/month visible plan.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190926-110956.png
    Screenshot_20190926-110956.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 18
Elbear1 said:

I was planning on getting the Netbuddy $65 a month plan but I saw this card that said they throttle down after 22 gb
I posted a picture of the card , is this the same card that you use? 
Read this card closely right under where it says unlimited,  in fine print it says At&t may throttle after 22gb
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191222-235601.png
    Screenshot_20191222-235601.png
    320.4 KB · Views: 12