Economical Cell Boosters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunpoh

Reaction score
Are there any cheaper alternatives to the WeBoost that really work? I have a shortie Safari Trek MH that I'm about to Full Time in and I will need reliable cell signal for both working and monitoring my RV power/temps etc when I need to step away briefly while my two cats are inside. Setting up with Visible Party Plan and a good router plus the hack for speed, keeping my Verizon phone Unlimited data plan as a backup for when Visible gets slow. I've had to buy so much to get started, don't want to eat too far into my emergency funds.

Some work better with certain carriers equipment than others. Some are really pricey with no better performance than cheaper models. All depend on at least a weak signal so there is something to boost. Cities and large towns have decent signals to begin with. None work in "no signal" areas. There are a lot of rural areas with "no signal".

Before I bought the Weboost Drive model I read and asked on different sites for recommendations.
I'm good with the Weboost both for price and performance.

Thanks, Camper!

If I took the Visible phone that is just going to be a hotspot to the router, and put it in the cradle of the cradle booster, I would assume that it would provide good WiFi for all devices on the network, correct? I don't mean to be obtuse, just making sure I'm not missing something. The only thing that I'd be missing out on would be boosted cell signal to my other devices, but that wouldn't really matter if they were all on the WiFi, I would think.

If I get one bar the booster will usually bring the signal up to a usable level, but if I'm getting three or more bars mine won't usually boost it more. It may help you and it may not.... there's only one way to find out.

Any device outside the cradle like a second phone will not get a boost.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I have loaned my booster to others with different kinds of phones and using different networks than mine, and it has worked beautifully.

It is a bit of a pia having to use the phone in the booster, but it is better than no signal.

And, if I really need to, I can make the phone in the cradle a hotspot and connect another device to that.

However, the hotspot really eats data, so I try to avoid it and just let the phone catch texts and emails.

Latest posts