monitoring the temperature in my minivan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbankid12

Reaction score
I have 3 phones, one Visible, Cricket, and Mint (Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile networks), and want to start monitoring the temperature of my minivan at all times. I was hoping to be able to buy a temperature gage that I could link up to software to update the temp to a Google sheets page where I can track the temp to make sure it's safe and comfortable for my dog when I look to get back into minivan life.

Does anyone know of any such software that would be able to function in such a way? Looking for somthing that isn't pay to use each month. It's kinda amazing what Google sheets is able to do with some basic code, already I have a google sheets page that pulls the stock prices and data already so every time I open it it's updated. I would be leaving my backup phone in the van at all times (it has 2GB data each month so I would think that would be plenty) Depending on signal strength I would like the functionality to use any of my main phones interchangeable so provided I get signal on 2 of 3 phones I would be able to monitor temp ideally when im at work, shopping, or at the gym.

For about 100 bucks a month I have Visible 25, Mint, 15, and Cricket 55.. a touch excessive, but If I can utilize it to track the temps without an extra bill it would make it so much more worth it. Plus having the 15min interval data would allow me to better understand everything to figure out the best parking spots, and to learn trends and to improve my methods to maintain a comfortable temp from trial and error.

haha the things we do for our pets, while they fuss about not getting enough tummy rubs and treats! :ROFLMAO:

That ads another monthly bill of at least $12.50 each month. That's a no go right there. Plus your depending on their software and systems and its uses the Verizon network only. I been to many of places in towns where Verizon wasn't working but other networks such at AT&T were working just fine. Not a perfect system such as the one I would like to build.

Something that is able to pair with ANY of my 3 network phones so then I can track it on the internet provided 2 of my 3 networks have a signal.

I mean sure it has value, just like a power station does... but the price is overpriced compared to setting up your own solar panel and battery system. So if I can figure out the design I can be saving money, and of course, I could share it with others here so they can use it themselves as well.

There has got to be a better solution! and that is my intention to find it! 👍

Make the investment in a remote start/Alarm with full monitoring. I have a Compustar t13 that monitors all kinds of stuff including instantaneous temperature monitoring via app and via fob. Best part is you don't need cell service to see the temp or any of the monitoring it does since the fob has 3mi range.

There is various tiers of service but 90% of it can be monitored and controlled by the fob.

Z2SUdYTl.jpg

YeZGigEl.jpg

Last edited:
Do you code? I have heard of some Arduino that do this... Was used with a free AWS account and monitors agriculture data out in Coachella valley...

Do you code? I have heard of some Arduino that do this... Was used with a free AWS account and monitors agriculture data out in Coachella valley...
If it were me, I would use an Arduino or a Raspberry pi. But you would still need some kind of sim card to get updates, so there is a fee involved no matter what. (Unless you are parked where you can get WiFi. That would be ideal.)

The advantage of the microprocessor is that you could tie it into a fan or heater/cooler to automate temp control.

There is a ton of help out there on the net for these kinds of things, but it is a project for sure. A 5th grader could probably set it up for you in an afternoon.

If it were me, I would use an Arduino or a Raspberry pi. But you would still need some kind of sim card to get updates, so there is a fee involved no matter what. (Unless you are parked where you can get WiFi. That would be ideal.)

The advantage of the microprocessor is that you could tie it into a fan or heater/cooler to automate temp control.

There is a ton of help out there on the net for these kinds of things, but it is a project for sure. A 5th grader could probably set it up for you in an afternoon.
He could use the WIFI from one of his phones instead of getting a sim card... or use the sim card from one of his phones since he has 3...

I use Yolink to graph the temperature hourly or for 7 days for our cabin. You'd need a hub to connect it to your internet but it's been rock solid for me. There's a bunch of other yolink sensors like relays, leak detectors, door contacts, etc.

Yolink

Bruce

Bruce - thanks for mentioning the Yolink! I've been digging, but haven't found much info on Yolink specifics. Would you mind telling us how often the sensors update, how you get notifications/alarms, if you get loss of power type alarms, etc?

I JUST found this thread, right after I bought the Temp Stick on Amazon last night, which looked to be the best bang for the buck and fit my needs. We're probably finally launching on Wednesday in my little motorhome, which will be our home until we build in a year or two and I felt desperate to get something lined up. After the first few weeks I will be alone most of the time til my partner finishes his thru-hike, and I am very nervous about making sure my two cats are good while I need to run small errands and such.

The Yolink looks to be a MUCH better deal. I may send the other back and pick up a hub and temp sensor, then expand on it as desired as the modules are really reasonably priced. But I could use a little more information.