Just watched Bob's latest vid on cell phone internet...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqueg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and now I'm confused again.

1) He says Verizon limits the amount of data via personal hotspot. But I have an unlimited cell/data plan from Verizon, and ASFAIK, Verizon never throttles me. Now my connection is plenty slow sometimes, depending on signal strength or tower congestion, but I don't think it's Verizon determining that I'm using my hot spot too much.

2) He doesn't mention boosters like WeBoost at all, but does talk about a Mofi router. I had just about made up my mind to get a WeBoost, should I be thinking about a Mofi instead? They're in the same ballpark as far as price goes.

3) In googling around, I came across this - 

Can anyone help me out here? Or is my gadget befuddlement incurable?

jacqueg said:

1) He says Verizon limits the amount of data via personal hotspot. But I have an unlimited cell/data plan from Verizon, and ASFAIK, Verizon never throttles me.
Usually a plan will have an unlimited data service but a very limited hotspot plan. I have seen the hotspot allowance to be around 10gig up to 30. I have also seen plans that have unlimited data but ZERO hotspot data. I usually just mirror my device to tv or computer screen then I don't have to use the hotspot data that often.

I think also during the corona schmorona some providers have increased the available hotspot allowance.

Might search this site a/o ask for help: https://www.facebook.com/groups/rvinternet/

They (Chris and Cherie of Technomadia) also have a paid site with more info which I think is well worth joining if this topic is an essential one for you.  But the free site may be all you need, remarkably there is mucho info and help by them and their paid helpers there.

My hot spot will drop off overnight if I forget to disconnect it, and also drops when someone calls. Otherwise works fine. I do not know what mirror is.
-crofter

crofter said:
I do not know what mirror is.

Screen mirroring allows your phones screen to be displayed onto another screen like a television screen.

It is great for watching movies or playinig phone games, or reading a website. Anything you can see on your phone just projects to your television.

It is also called smartcast and can be done "remotely" which is what I do and it is like a bluetooth connection..or you can plug it directly into the tv with a cord.. hdmi or usb. I am not sure about the specifics of using the cords as I have never used that method.

You do need a "smart" tv or another device like a roku or chromecast if you don't have the smart tv sets. I think most nowadays are ready to go.

I would be a lousy teacher on the "how to". If you do a search for your "device type" and "how to smart cast/mirror" you can get step by step instructions. I use mine in this way all the time. Watch youtube vids, music or whatever from my phone on the tv. Of course any incoming call will bump you off. Texts still come in without bumping you off your binge watching of Gilmore Girls.

Verizon has a basic package called "Start Unlimited", however there is no mention of hotspot usage and therefore no mention of a data limit.

Checking the upgraded Unlimited plans, Play More Unlimited and Do More Unlimited, both have a 15GB hotspot limit before throttling. The top plan, Get More Unlimited, has a 30GB hotspot limit.

To be clear, this limit only is on hotspot usage. If you are not using your phone as a hotspot, then usage is unlimited, but you would have to do everything through the phone.

Is it possible that you don't use 15GB through hotspot in a month?

I guess my plan is no longer offered. It is a prepaid $75 unlimited plan, and it is exactly that - unlimited cell and data, including personal hot spot usage. I've had it for about 3 years now.

And I definitely use 15G per month, as I watch a fair amount of YouTube vids on my laptop using my phone as a hot spot.

I'm looking at the newer plans, but over the years I have found that Verizon is very good at making new plans sound better than old plans, when that is not necessarily the case.

jacqueg said:

2) He doesn't mention boosters like WeBoost at all, but does talk about a Mofi router. I had just about made up my mind to get a WeBoost, should I be thinking about a Mofi instead? They're in the same ballpark as far as price goes.

3) In googling around, I came across this - 

Can anyone help me out here? Or is my gadget befuddlement incurable?

Jacgue,
I have a MoFi. I got it a year and a half ago and it costs $360. Included the first month cost at $60/ month subscription.
You must have cell signal in the vicinity to use it. When I used it the closest tower was 3 miles away and I had decent speed most of the time. That means I could stream with no problems. At times though, during busy hours it would slow down to the point of everything buffering. You can turn the antennas to find better reception if one tower flakes off.

The good part: It is unlimited. The only 'throtling' happens on busy hours.
The rate went up to $65/month after about a year and I switched to cable, since I am still at home.
But I still have the MoFi, and that's what I will use on the road. It works with a micro SD card that you insert, and in my case, the MoFi piggybacks on At&T.

BTW, I did not use a booster while on MoFi.

Mofi is not a phone plan. It is a data plan. It is a router like the box you get from the cable company, but instead of cable signal receives cell signal.
You pay monthly like you pay for your home internet, and you can use it at home or take it on the road.
Since it receives cell signal from AT&T, it works everywhere an AT&T phone would work.

You can use your MoFi for internet, and Viber or Skype for phone connection too.
The power requirement is 0.5 Amp/H

You can purchase a Mofi directly from the manufacturer for $315. It does not have a cell or data plan attached to it: http://mofinetwork.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=199

They have different versions. If you want to use T-Mobile get this one as it has band 71. TM's newest long range band meant to improve signal in rural area's: http://mofinetwork.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=235

Some original Verizon unlimited plans included free unlimited hot spot depending on the phone you were using. But most people just used the sim cards in data devices.

I have had a one-device WeBoost for a couple of years, for my cell phone, and love it.

It does just what is says it will do, boosting existing signal to a much better signal.

I use it when there are a couple of bars of 1x, or a bar or two of 3g.

Makes all the difference.