T-Mobile Mifi M2000 Insego

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderin.pat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Southern NM... currently living in an RV park
Are there any folks out there who use this? I'm considering getting one.
I currently have an ATT Mobley, which I've been using for 5 years. I got one of those $20/month plans with unlimited data usage. ATT DOES NOT OFFER THIS ANYMORE. Where I'm currently living full-time is in an RV Park in Southern NM. Once in a while, the performance is pretty bad. And once it dies, which I'm sure it will, that'll be it. ATT won't even allow me at add a line without canceling this plan. Last month I used 63 GB!

The reviews of this device on Verizon's own website are about 50/50 best thing I've ever had to complete junk! I was hoping to hear some opinions from the "tribe" here.

on your mark? Go!
:)

I'm not familiar with the tech, sorry. Does it have a sim card that you can swap to another device? That way you can keep the plan?

Wish I could be of more help.

If you are going to use this you may as well get a subscription through Calyx Institute instead of T-Mobile directly. I use 300-400 Gigs of data per month and don't get throttled. The only problem is that the service isn't super strong. Not sure how it would work with a cell signal booster but want to try it eventually.
https://calyxinstitute.org/Cellular is the only option for internet where I am, so something that is truly unlimited is a necessity. Very happy that I found Calyx.

I have a M2100 on Verizon and a M2000 on Tmobile (through Calyx).

I've been happy with them so far. The Verizon service has been better most places but when I get a good TMobile Signal I love having the unlimited.

I have 2 Mobley lines. I haven't had them in an actual Mobley device since I've activated them. You can switch your Mobley sim card to a better device. (It's possible you may have to get your PUK unlock codes.) AT&T is very lenient with these plans. We're very lucky!!! I usually use a Mofi router, or a M1 or M5 Nighthawk. Both those devices will blow your Mobley out of the water. They have higher rated modems and Ethernet ports!!!!

I have two Mobley plans.... I'll keep them as long as AT&T will let me.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a genuinely sincere question...

Why would someone choose to use a dedicated mobile hotspot device when they can just as easily use their phone's tethering capability? This would negate the need for the mobile hotspot, thereby saving one money.

I plan on using the "Get More" unlimited plan through Verizon for $90 per month for my cell phone. That would provide me with 4G unlimited talk, text & web (no throttling limits) on the phone, and 30GB 4G for any tethered devices...which is a boatload for most people.

Unless someone has a VERY inexpensive deal on a dedicated mobile hotspot device, I don't see the benefits of using one versus one's phone as a hotspot.

I rather have a truly unlimited data plan than any phone plan out there.

I rarely make a phone call...

Last edited:
Okay, you've answered my question (y):)

HOLY MOLY is that a lot of data!!!

P.S. - I wasn't pushing the Verizon plan (or any other). Was truly curious as to why people would opt for a dedicated, standalone hotspot versus tethering. Now I know one of the reasons.

Why would someone choose to use a dedicated mobile hotspot device when they can just as easily use their phone's tethering capability? This would negate the need for the mobile hotspot, thereby saving one money.

I plan on using the "Get More" unlimited plan through Verizon for $90 per month for my cell phone. That would provide me with 4G unlimited talk, text & web (no throttling limits) on the phone, and 30GB 4G for any tethered devices...which is a boatload for most people.

Unless someone has a VERY inexpensive deal on a dedicated mobile hotspot device, I don't see the benefits of using one versus one's phone as a hotspot.

I need way more data than 30 GB per month so for me it makes sense to have a separate device. I also have all 3 major carriers in some form as I need to have access to internet for my job wherever I am. This gives me more options on where I can go/stay. I probably use on average 100-150 GB per month in a normal month and a large part of that is for work itself.

First of all, the plans associated with a hotspot device are different than the ones with a cell phone. Often you get either much higher limits for less cost.

A mobile hotspot device costs much less than a cell phone.

I have a Verizon hotspot device that I’ve had for several years. I got it because at the time my family plan was on Sprint and I couldn’t change to a different carrier because we had too many family riders on the plan. I wanted something different when camping so found out about a pretty good deal with Verizon. Not only was the device much cheaper than a phone, but the deal was $60/month with truly unlimited data.

I need way more data than 30 GB per month so for me it makes sense to have a separate device. I also have all 3 major carriers in some form as I need to have access to internet for my job wherever I am. This gives me more options on where I can go/stay. I probably use on average 100-150 GB per month in a normal month and a large part of that is for work itself.
Check out BestMVNO website for deals than going to the parent source. Make sure the device is unlocked.

Attachments

• 2022-02-10_063043.png
    2022-02-10_063043.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 2022-02-10_063241.png
    2022-02-10_063241.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 7