Unlimited AT&T $20 a month

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been having a problem with my 4gCommunity wifi for the last 4 days. I get AT&T just fine.
Just wondering if 4gCommunity has suspended service or if I have another problem? 4gCommunity connects to the computer OK but has no internet.

Hmmmm

My 4GC has been working fine. A bit slow but I am in the city where towers get congested, even AT&T. What kind of signal are you getting?

To clarify, I am parked next to a building, under power lines with lots of trees all around. I have not set up the booster and antenna but may later today or tomorrow to see it it helps. Generally it will not help if I get a good signal unless I can find a uncongested tower to point the antenna at and force the device to connect to it instead of the closer congested tower. That is another advantage to a directional antenna vs a OMNI directional.

TexasTuff said:
I've been having a problem with my 4gCommunity wifi for the last 4 days. I get AT&T just fine.
Just wondering if 4gCommunity has suspended service or if I have another problem? 4gCommunity connects to the computer OK but has no internet.

Thanks, Jimindenver,
I had forgotten that it helps to pull the battery and power cord before rebooting.

jimindenver said:
Here we go again eh.

AT&T now has unlimited data subject to deprioritization after 22 gig in what is called Connected Car unlimited.

https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html#Close

I learned of it from RV.net via this post.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29200191.cfm

There are other post on Howard forums and elsewhere... (cont.)
so I tried to sign up through my att wireless act today and they say this is no longer available through zte mobely
you must have a onstar or similar set up in your vehicle
Has anyone else encountered this? is there another option?

I suspect the deal ran its course, and AT&T might have pulled to offer.

If so, I'm glad I got in and bought one during the initial deal.

And thanks to Jim for the heads-up earlier in the year!

I am glad some were able to get this deal, they sure didn't make it easy. Then again the original deadline was in July I believe so having it run as long as it did was great except the people selling Mobleys for outrageous prices taking advantage of those late to the party yet still wanting the deal.

jimindenver said:
I am glad some were able to get this deal, they sure didn't make it easy. Then again the original deadline was in July I believe so having it run as long as it did was great except the people selling Mobleys for outrageous prices taking advantage of those late to the party yet still wanting the deal.

Thanks Jim I'll keep trying and will eventually find a way (with your help) to obtain data while away from home. Mark

When I searched the att.com site for information about Connected Car, I was shown some pages that indicate Honda is putting a $20/month "Connected Car" service in some of their vehicles - with the pictured vehicle being a mini-van.  That's on this page and on this page   (This is my duckduckgo.com search of the att.com site.)

Further, AT&T seems to be thinking in terms of "connected car" prospects into the future.... as at this page, although I quite agree that it doesn't say anything about a $20/month prospect or the mobley - they do seem to be promoting the branding of their term "connected car" a bit more than I would expect if they were dropping it completely.

Finally, at about two thirds of the way down this page, they have a button to click to learn more about what can be done by way of "Connected Car solutions for existing vehicles" and, bless their hearts, they have a nice pic of the Mobley device just above the "Learn More" button.  The Learn More button takes you to this page about the Mobley or there's a link/URL just above it to att.com/mobley.  This is all showing a $20/month pricing plan...just as it used to be and with the same 22 gigs of data with possible throttling above that amount.  

Now, I may be way off on my thinking about this, but it kinda, sorta sounds a little like they're starting to promote the concept more broadly and soliciting the involvement of auto manufacturers to promote it, as well.  Given this amount of promotion, just maybe they're out of stock of the Mobley device on a more temporary than permanent basis and, if monitored, the device will likely be available again relatively soon(ish).  

If some of the sales help is saying it's not available, is it possible/likely that they simply don't yet know - as seemed to be the case initially?  

What do the rest of you think?  Wishful thinking on my part?  Reasonable analysis?  Something else?  

Peterson

Never mind all that! I'm glad to see someone else using the 'the Duck'! :cool:

I'm old enough to remember using AltaVista and Dogpile before the words Yahoo and Google were even heard of...

But seriously, it looks like AT&T might be narrowing their market focus a bit. All those ebay sellers trying to get $400 for a Mobley might not like this!

Wow Peterson, great work. Now if we can find someone to sign up for it. I think the ebay sellers might be dropping their price if they think the program is over.

So I have been reading over on Howardforums.com in the AT&T section. As mentioned above the Mobley deal isn't quite dead yet but you do have to jump through hoops. One person tried rep after rep until they found one able to provision it. Another bought the Mobley for $99 and signed up for the $10 a month, 1 gig and unlimited 128k plan, had issues with the device and called to cancel it. That got him the loyalty department where he was told the Mobley plan was still there but not advertised to the public. Only some reps knew how to do it and that was one of them. He was signed up for the $20 plan and 2 year contract.

The$10 a month plan isn't bad for the truly low end user. 128k after the first 1 gig at high speed does email, forums and even streaming music without a huge difference in noticeable speed. Browsers like Opera are designed to be used at low speeds by compressing pictures and ads. Something to consider if it works for you and not just this device either. There are multiple plans with low speed after the high speed is used up. 4GAS use to sell a unlimited hotspot that was only 2G speeds for $6 a month. TPO's unlimited T/T and unlimited 64k after the first gig of high speed for $7.99 with auto pay is another. (one person reported 128k speeds) That is unlimited everything for the none streaming user.

So the Mobley deal may be on life support but it ain't dead just yet. If you are able to do it and I understand the Mobley is in stock for $99, then you will have to talk to a rep to get it activated.

I was just able to order the ZTE Mobley on the ATT website. It is in stock, either free or $99, depending on the contract you choose. Currently there are 2 plans available, 1 gig and 5 gig. I got the 5 gig for $25 per month.

Thanks for the update, jdpenn!  

It's interesting that they've capped it at 5 gigs for $25 and are charging $60 for unlimited on a phone at 3mbps maximum - or $90 for unlimited at "our fastest speed" with a mobile hotspot at 10gb per line with a max of 128kbps on the hotspot.  

HBO is included on either the $60 or $90 plans for those who might enjoy it.  

Peterson

FWIW, I just corresponded with one of the eBay sellers of Moblely devices. (S)he indicated that, with a Mobley device and an OnStar-capable vehicle, $20 per month data plans are available from OnStar. I didn't pursue it further because I don't have an OnStar vehicle.

I spoke with AT&T. I'm missing something here. He tells me that it is actually $65 per month to have this device, and that it is a separate plan - So, I'd have my unlimited phone plan ($200) PLUS $65 for this device? What? No. Can you explain this? I'm old and missing something huge here

The cut off date for the really good deal was last summer. You may still be able to get it through the loyalty department as I posted above, I do not know personally. I can tell you that the stores had no idea and I was the one explaining to them in three instances.

Sorry to possibly side-track here, but I have not been able to activate that free HBO, even though I followed the link from the AT&T dashboard. All I got was an offer to sign up for HBO online for a fee and I even think they wanted a 2 year commitment... at that point I closed the browser session... ;)

Connelly said:
I spoke with AT&T. I'm missing something here. He tells me that it is actually $65 per month to have this device, and that it is a separate plan - So, I'd have my unlimited phone plan ($200) PLUS $65 for this device? What? No. Can you explain this? I'm old and missing something huge here

I don't know what the current disposition might be, but I can say from my own experience, the CS Department doesn't know squat about this.  Be sure you are talking to the "connected car" division.  Their CS rep all but called me a fool to suggest that I could get an unlimited plan for $20.  Then after almost giving up, I called their connected car division... "Yes sir, I can help you with that plan!"  This was months ago, so not sure what they are offering now but if you get the feeling that the person you are talking to is clueless... they probably are :)

-T

It is very common for people well educated in online forums know **lots** more than CS reps or even their management, about their employers non-mainstream offerings.

HowardForums is a great resource with a bit of Google Fu