Unlimited AT&T $20 a month

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone noticed any difference in your speed when streaming videos since the new "stream saver" option came out? I have not had mine long enough to gauge any difference and also turned it off but was curious if anyone else had.

For those not in the know about a month ago AT&T came out with a "stream saver" option to limit your bandwith to 480p when streaming videos and when it was released it was set to on by default.

If you would like to turn this feature off or find out more info about his I found it here: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/at...rottle-mobley-video-heres-how-to-turn-it-off/

I read the article and will proceed to check mine right now.

Thanks!

(Stream Saver....is that another way to say, Limited, Unlimited Data?)

:huh:

Yep....StreamSaver was turned on.

It seems to work fine on youtube videos at 480p....so for now I'll just leave it.

But I surely do thank you for the heads up!

:cool:

I do not mind the stream saver for a few reasons. First, out here in the boonies streaming is a luxury and you are lucky to load at 480P. Second it keeps me from being de-prioritized when I stream with it a lot. Third, unless you have a huge screen or are right up on a smaller one it is hard to tell the difference. I hosted movie night on a 24 inch and everyone thought it was HD. Lastly I am use to it. I grew up with SD, T-Mobile has done it with their Binge on streaming since I got that hotspot. I would rather have it load fast than see every wrinkle on someones face.

I called Tmobile to ask how much it would be to add a line specifically for a mobile hotspot device to my account and the cost is $20 per month for 2 Gigs. That's CRAZY low.. so I'm just gonna get a second phone and use that phone specifically for thethering.. the rep agreed.

Was reading an article comparing the current Live TV streaming offerings and came across something that might be useful to those of you with this device :
If you subscribe to AT&T's mobile service, you can stream DirecTV Now over a mobile connection at no cost to your data cap. This is a practice called zero rating, and the way AT&T does it may or may not be killing the open internet. But it's a nifty perk.

Article and more info on this perk can be found here: http://www.businessinsider.com/stre...ion-vue-fubo-2017-8/#directv-now-continued-11

I finally got this device!!!

I cannot seem to keep it connected. I get maybe 10 to 15 minutes, then it shuts off.

I read here about a setting in the wifimanager. But..what page? I did not find this selection on any page there. I looked through each page, and did not find a choice to never turn the device off.

Can someone direct me thru the process step by step?

Kat

This is the address to the manager

http://attwifimanager/index.html#login

I am PMing your default password, change it and the password to the hotspot to something you will remember.

Once in go to settings, advanced and then power save. chose no time out on the menu. That will keep it on but you should cycle it once a day to get it a fresh connection to the tower. I shut mine down at night so that does it for me.

KI have that screen up...this is what I have

Connection settings....this offers me domestics or international on or off. No advanced.

Wifi settings ... this shows me ssid, name, security, etc. no advanced.

Other settings... this offers me. About or login. No advanced

I don't see anywhere an offer for "advanced settings"

Let me add....this does not seem to have anything to do with usage or power. It cuts me off in mid video, post, etc. 10-15 minutes and down it comes.

across the blue line after you click settings it should say WiFi, network, firewall and advanced. Once you click on advanced the listings are in the blue bar for administrator, router, power save, time/date, and device reset. Power save is the one you want.

You do need to be on a web page, I don't think it is accessible from your phone. Also if your device has not updated yet the setting may not be there yet.

mizjewels said:
Was reading an article comparing the current Live TV streaming offerings and came across something that might be useful to those of you with this device :

Article and more info on this perk can be found here: http://www.businessinsider.com/stre...ion-vue-fubo-2017-8/#directv-now-continued-11

AT&T also has a DirecTv offering for just $10 but they will not sell it to Mobley users. The same package for Cricket users is $35.

As for the not counting towards your cap or in our case when you may hit prioritizing, T-Mobile has had Binge on and Music freedom for a long time now. They do not count against my 5 gig cap on my 4gas hotspot as long as you watch in SD. I can stream Binge on services all day long day after day and never run out of data. (netflix, you tube, crackle, along with a bunch more)

Verizon bought Dish network I believe so they may have the same deal going for it.

No blue line.... what screen is that supposed to be on?

On every screen there is an orange line at the top.

On the first screen....it has an arrow pointing to the right...if I click on that..it invites me to log off....that is all

I keep looking....which of the three settings screens are you referring to?

Is that a cell phone or android screen shot? That is completely different that the browser version I get on a computer. I have heard that it takes a computer to see the settings needed.

What he said ^^
I had to log in from my laptop to change my power settings - the option simply did not appear when I logged in with my Kindle.

The mobile version of the wifimanager doesn't have the advanced controls.
In that screenshot, in the lower part below the menu items, it says: PC | Mobile
That selects the version of the wifimanager that displays on your device.
On a tablet or phone, click on "PC" to get the full-featured wifimanager screen, with advanced and power settings.

This presents an interesting issue. I do not own a PC. I have 3 tablets, and 2 smart phones....haven't had an need for a PC in years.

Hummm.... I am going to ask a friend to bring a PC over and try it then.

Thanks all.....

jimindenver said:
Verizon bought Dish network I believe so they may have the same deal going for it.

I could be wrong,  but I'm pretty sure that DTV bought Dish Before ATT bought DTV.   As in while I still worked there. 

But,  then I

Since it appears it's no longer available anywhere I just purchased the ZTE Mobley

NEW, FACTORY SEALED, AT&T ZTE Mobley Hotspot $20 UNLIMITED LTE Wi-Fi Data plan!!

from ebay user nana1961 for a whooping $325.  Looks like her latest auctions have gone up even more
(search completed items).
Claims to have the original non-throttling (though possibly network managed) SIM card included.

Can anyone advise the best way to activate this when I get it?

It should arrive in the next day or two and I'm a little worried about the activation part.
I don't have an AT&T account.

I hate that I missed out on the $99 price by a short 3-4 months but even the high price will be worth it
if this continues to work for a year or two.

Thanks,
Paul H

I see they are up to $400 to $500 now...

I should have bought a case of them when they were $99!

:dodgy:

I got some good use out of mine last week during my stay at Lake Meredith, where I had speeds of about 20 to 30 mpbs up and down....not too shabby!

Latest posts