Unlimited AT&T $20 a month

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimindenver said:
I was just on the site helping another forum member order one and they show in stock as of right now.

Yep...apparently they found the other case of them in the warehouse...lol

My current phone now has 6gb of data, but as I mentioned, only on T-Mobile, which works in most places I go, as it is working great right now, in NM. But last two summers when I was in SD the data was zip...nadda....nothing.

I might drop the T-mobile data to 3gig, which is $10 less, and that would make the mobley and data plan, effectively, $10...

Well it should arrive when I am home next week...I'll post updates.

Thanks Jim
Just ordered one. Not previously an Att customer.
Now I need the power adapter. You don't happen to an extra one do you Jim?

Got shipping notice today. Overnight shipping. Just have to have it forwarded to Colorado when I get there. Already found some parts to power it from the cigarette socket.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I love it when a plan comes together!

Ordering went smooth, shipping was fast, it arrived yesterday.

I plugged it in, it fired right up and I logged in and presto! Car Connect!

Well, they maybe should change the name to Van Go! or something...but I can work around that little 'issue'...

Anyway, it works...

I've ordered a power adapter from ebay...it should be here in a few days, I cant really run it on the OBD port since I use a scangauge....

Updates will follow!

IMG_20170627_084612.jpg

IMG_20170627_084801.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170627_084612.jpg
    IMG_20170627_084612.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20170627_084801.jpg
    IMG_20170627_084801.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 6
That is great especially considering what I went through to get one.

I just chatted with a rep on the site and they say the connected car plan includes roaming. I can tell you that from having Cricket which only uses native AT&T service that it isn't often needed except for a few places in the south west so far. It will be nice to have in those few places.

Get it while its hot kids. The deal changes here soon and unlimited high speed AT&T data for $20 a month sure is sweet to have.

jimindenver said:
I just chatted with a rep on the site and they say the connected car plan includes roaming.

Yes and thanks for the heads-up on this device and data plan...I had never heard of it until I swerved into this thread.

There are basically 2 types of 'roaming'...

In network: AT&T towers, anywhere. I assume this is what the mobley has.

Off network: This would mean data on another compatible network like T-mobile, when there are no AT&T towers in range.

I suspect it does not offer this, but I could be wrong...and if I am, its a good thing.

Anything on AT&T towers would not be roaming. That would be native service. Roaming would be off the native service as in on a partner like TMO or as in the Grand canyon area where there service is rebroadcast off of a private tower. That is different than when AT&T leases space on anothers tower to hang their antennas. Those towers have just one set of antennas that everyones signals go through. You will find this situation in the Rockies often too. It is why I have something on all four carriers.

jimindenver said:
Anything on AT&T towers would not be roaming. That would be native service.

True enough, now. But back in the day, 'roaming' meant anytime you left your home area. That's what 'roaming' meant.

Nowadays, the term usually means off-network, but the devil is always in the details.

Like for instance when you accumulate 2 months of off-network roaming over a certain threshold of data, say, 60% of your monthly amount.

I know this used to be common because I know several of our drivers who have had their service with AT&T terminated for this...not recently, but it has happened.

Back many years ago, I was on AT&T (using an iPhone) and got a couple of warnings via text about my off-network roaming data.

And I have even received text warnings about 'international' roaming when I was actually hitting a TELCEL tower over the border in Mexico, even though I was on the US side of the border.

I'm not sure how the Mobley would alert me, since it has no texting capabilities or a screen. I suppose if they do anything, it will be to 'throttle' it back and wait until I call in to complain!

:p

So...the devil is indeed, in the details.

Anyway, I plan to have fun with it on the road.

tx2sturgis said:
True enough, now. But back in the day, 'roaming' meant anytime you left your home area. That's what 'roaming' meant.

Nowadays, the term usually means off-network, but the devil is always in the details.

Like for instance when you accumulate 2 months of off-network roaming over a certain threshold of data, say, 60% of your monthly amount.

I know this used to be common because I know several of our drivers who have had their service with AT&T terminated for this...not recently, but it has happened........

There is no longer a home area for AT&T. Roaming is only when you are not on their towers.

I have not been in my cell phone "home area code" in over a year. I get no messages or warnings. I use over 40 gigs of data a month. No messages, besides the warning when I go over 22gb, that I may be slower during times of cell tower congestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you are in the Mobley manager you will see that it has a message center. So far it ha sent me a welcome message, a message saying I had added a email to the account and one for when my bill is paid via auto pay. I am told they will let you know when you get over the 22 gig limit and might be slowed down if on a congested tower.

Received the little 12v power cord for the Mobley and its working inside my house.

Data speed here is comparable to my home internet, a bit slower but very usable.

Of course that will probably change when I hit the road with it next week...the data here in my home town is not always great, since we only have 1 or 2 towers serving the entire town.

Anyway, its a neat little item and plan....I mentioned it to a friend and he's probably gonna buy one...

Where do we send the commission checks?

:cool:

[quote pid='307009' dateline='1498706093']

Where do we send the commission checks?

:cool:
[/quote]

JiminDenver 
c/o WanderinPat 
6547 N Academy Blvd #2051
Colorado Springs, CO 80918

I'll see that he gets them. 

Honest.

Ok...put 600 miles on today and the little Mobley was on and streaming me some XM and other data the whole time. This was on US 60, 70, and I-40 mostly. 

Great way to test it, I saw 21 mbps yesterday, less than that here south of ABQ right now. It even worked in an area where I never have data on my cellular data plan.

Just moved into a brand new truck (2018 PeterBilt 579 Epiq) so no XM radio installed yet, but was able to stream thru the Mobley and then to the app on the smartphone. 

It kept me happy all day! And...I'm using it right now in the sleeper to post this message and surf the innerwebs....

Oh, BTW....the commision check?  Its in the mail.

:p

This was the speed reported by speedtest, last night:

IMG_20170703_202708.jpg

And here I am surfing and posting:

IMG_20170704_212130.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170704_212130.jpg
    IMG_20170704_212130.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20170703_202708.jpg
    IMG_20170703_202708.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 11
I have really enjoyed my Mobley. I was pretty slow last night but there are lots here for the holiday. My Sprint was slow too but the T-Mobile was zipping right along.

Logging in on the Mobley from Alamosa Co...it worked most of the way, there were a few dropouts in that dead zone in Northern NM and in Southern Colo-weedo but its working fine now!

Getting about 20mbs here...

IMG_20170705_140140.jpg

IMG_20170705_135100.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170705_140140.jpg
    IMG_20170705_140140.jpg
    789.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20170705_135100.jpg
    IMG_20170705_135100.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 8
I received my Mobley today. Working great. It has the 1.01 firmware, but when I log into the attwifimanger it doesn't give me an option for setting the power time out. Is the new version without the timeout? I didn't try with my laptop but the manger program came up on my IPad.

Update::: power setting only works the web version of wifimanager. Changed to no time limit.

Got my mobley yesterday and I've been having a blast with it.....not much for TV but I'm an internet pig.....I really can be now

Latest posts