Standing up in a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
I've lived in a van, a Ford shorty.  I know what it's like.

But in the whole time I lived in it (with a dog and a cat), I can't remember ever thinking that it would be a lot better if I could stand up.  It simply never occurred to me.  I cooked, bathed, read, sewed, wrote sitting down. 

I'm curious.  For those of you who feel rather strongly about it, WHY do you feel that you need to be able to stand up?  Dancing?  Calisthenics?  Claustrophobia?

I'm not trying to be nasty about this, I'm just wondering.  (I wonder about a lot of things -- have you ever read O. Henry's 'The Ransom of Red Chief'?)

At 40 and even at 50 it was okay for me to live in a van without a high top. I had a high top van part of the time, I also had a 35' Class A gas guzzler. I downsized back to a van and then to an Astro mini van. I lived OUT of the van and the Astro as compared to living in them. I had a 10x10 add a room that was always set up to give me standing height. The vans became my bedroom rather than my whole home.

At past the mid 60's part, no way on this planet am I living in a van without standing height.

If I was only going camping in it for a few weekends a year, then I'd deal with it. It would be a means of travelling to see interesting things or to get out of civilization etc.

Living full time year round, this is my home.

I am not going to live any different here than I would if I was living in a fixed position home. I stand up to cook meals the same as I would anywhere. I stand up to walk around and sometimes I dance in the 'living room'. I stand up to pull up my jeans. I sit down to eat, work on the computer and to use the toilet which has a real toilet seat btw. I slouch on my couch/bed to read sometimes, I sleep in a real bed between real sheets.

Yes, it all fits in a van, but it's just a smaller more versatile, compact version of a home.

I've had back surgery and stooping is painful. I have to stand straight up or not at all. Is this the kind of info you are seeking?

Horrible neck and back and arthritis. 55 procedures (ablations, epidurals, injections and the like) didn't help. There is no way I would even think about a standard height van.
Ted

At 64, no back problems, knock on wood. Being able to stand/stretch is a comfort thing and prevent me from developing back problems in the future. Man was meant to and evolved into an erect standing animal LOL

I really enjoy standing up in the van. As well as yoga/stretching, working out, and walking up and down my 8' long "hallway". ;)
Rainy days or bad weather makes me appreciate the high top even more.

I frequently dwell in a Subaru Forester, it is a night and day difference between being cramped in it, as compared to being able to stand up straight in the van.

;)

I could probably do without a hitop but for me it's a quality of life issue. Being able to stand in the van makes it more comfortable when spending long periods inside like at night. Being able to stand upright is a pleasure and just adds enjoyment to the van life.

Okay. I was just curious how much standing you did. I guess I didn't have much need to just stand. Thanks for the info.

My rule of thumb when giving advice on the matter is generalized as: Young, buy a low top - Old, buy a high top.

My only two dealbreaker requirements when looking for a van were that I had to be able to stand up in it and I had to be able to park it in a normal parking spot. Anything else I could compromise on.

I might not be able to go through a drive though fast food place (not that I ever go anyways). And I can't park under covered parking. But when I park outside the extra height makes no difference. Maybe I lose a little in gas mileage but I don't regret being able to stand. Especially if I'm stuck in the van due to bad weather.

not old and cant stand and van I cant stand in

At first I didn't mind, I have a ford conversion van, So I can't fully stand up comfortably. I tried to adopt the attitude of, "if I need to stand i'll just go outside". After over a year, for me personally that got tiring, and in some cases not practical. I had to make the decision to either find a new van with a higher top or go back to my original plan and get a travel trailer. I opted for the trailer. It works out better for how I choose my nomadic life.

Main reasons were since there are two of us, we wanted more space to be comfortable living in it fulltime. Also wanted to be able to comfortably cook food. As well as have extra space for any friends who may want to come along for a short trip.

I have two bulging discs. In my lower back.

Any amount of hunching over (like getting in and out...or moving from one place to another) inside the van would leave me in pain.

I need to stand up while moving around.

i'm really not a "live out of your van, not in it" type person.  i like to curl up in my private space and shut out the world, or sit inside and people watch or enjoy the view without the mosquitoes.  
i'll also be visiting urban areas where relaxing and cooking outside isn't quite as practical.  
thanks to some old knee injuries kneeling and crawling are out of the question so for me, standing room was high on the list of priorities.

Mayble, I'm also a curl up in a corner type.
Today I stood in a used conversion van with a tv top. I need about 6 more inches to stand upright and not be worried about my cowlick. I wanted to answer the question, could I cook in a place where I can't stand up fully.
My rig won't be a permanent home. I'd use it for several weeks at a time. So maybe I don't need the stand up kind.

TrainChaser said:
I've lived in a van, a Ford shorty.  I know what it's like.

But in the whole time I lived in it (with a dog and a cat), I can't remember ever thinking that it would be a lot better if I could stand up.  It simply never occurred to me.  I cooked, bathed, read, sewed, wrote sitting down. 

I'm curious.  For those of you who feel rather strongly about it, WHY do you feel that you need to be able to stand up?  Dancing?  Calisthenics?  Claustrophobia?

I'm not trying to be nasty about this, I'm just wondering.  (I wonder about a lot of things -- have you ever read O. Henry's 'The Ransom of Red Chief'?)

A hightop is a great thing to have on a van. Being able to stand up makes everything easier. But at the end of the day, I personally don't need it. I can make do in a standard roof van.