Standing up in a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A high top van. Yes, it would be awesome! I have a 1995 Dodge van that I love. I use it now for "trips" not "dwelling". Because of pretty severe arthritis in my hips, it's difficult to navigate in the low top van. The bending over part is pretty rough, and the kneeling part can also be painful. A small stool on wheels helps, but it leaves a bit to be desired- as in not really enough room, can't use it for some things... so there's still a LOT of painful bending over. A high top would be better.
All that said, I've had this van for a LONG time! Since I was a lot younger and in better shape. It worked fine back in the day! I never even considered a high top. I bent over, crawled around in it, leapt in and out of it... no problem! So my considered opinion is -as other posters have mentioned - low top is fine if it doesn't hurt and you can deal with the small space emotionally. If pain, stiffness, cramped feeling happens, it might be time to look for a high top.
Just my thoughts.

I have a low top now, but when I can afford it, I want to get a high top put on my rig.  If I can stand, I don't have to be outside when the weather is bad just to stretch.  I think east of the rocky mtns is a different kind of camping anyway.  There are days it rains all day (like today).  There are days that you just want to stay indoors, and if so, you have to be able to stand at least part of the day.  You know what they say....sitting all day is as bad as smoking cigarettes.

ALSO, there's another benefit to the high top.  Vertical use of space!  Also, in Bob's video he showed that you can leave some of the roof on the front and the back for extra storage.  I LOVE that idea. 

But when I get the high top, I want to make sure it has windows in it.  The more windows the better!