Shopping for a 14' -Haul

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas

Reaction score
I have been shopping for a 14’ U-Haul truck for several months.  I’m sharing what I’ve learned so far, hoping that someone will correct me if I got it wrong, and also in case someone has some additional tips and tricks for buying the truck I want.

I’ve been visiting the U-Haul Truck Sales website so often and made so many calls about trucks for sale that I can now filter my search results to “new in stock,” which eliminates those trucks that I’ve already rejected.  Yesterday I called about a new in stock truck posted for sale, to learn that the trucks listed for sale are often not really for sale.  For example, the truck I called about yesterday was being leased and used as a billboard.  Ah, that explains why the trucks I’ve inquired about were not really in the condition indicated on the Truck Sales web site:  After the truck is evaluated, it sits for several months or years as a storage facility or a billboard.  Once all the rubber components have sat idle for months, once the catalytic converter has been stolen, once the lease expires, THEN the truck is for sale.

So I called Patriot Leasing, a branch of U-Haul.  I inquired about leasing a box truck and then buying it when the lease ends.  Sure, we can say I’m using the truck for storage – I’d be storing the truck itself – and then I’m going to buy the truck when the lease expires.  Actually I’d like to pay the entire lease at once at signing, and then immediately purchase the truck, or no deal.  I would hope that U-Haul works for money not for time, that a paid in full lease would eliminate the requirement to wait until after the term of the lease to purchase the truck.  (If I learn that they work for time, I’m applying for a job there.  Time is so much more valuable than money).  We didn’t get that far – the gal took my contact info and will contact me when a 14’ truck becomes available.  It’s frustrating.  I’m so ready to start buying the appliances I want.  But I’m also patient.  It will happen when my higher power decides it will happen, after I’ve learned whatever I’m supposed to learn.

If anyone has experience or knowledge to share on this topic I would be most appreciative.

is there a reason you're focused on uhaul? Lots of other truck leasing companies around, including full service where they do the maintenance, e.g. Penske.

I like the U-Haul because of the Ford E450 SD and the metal box roof. The Penske's seem to be lighter duty trucks - lots of E350's - and they all seem to have that fiberglass membrane roof.

Try CL for vans in bigger areas. I usually come across a box van or two everytime I put in the age and v8 restrictions. If it's still listed on CL it is usually available. Of course watch for scams but then old box trucks are NOT what scammers usually are trying.

Where are you located? I'm in the mid-west and had no problem looking at and test driving a half dozen u-haul trucks before I bought a 1 ton GMC 3500 direct from U-haul (Corp offices are in Arizona).
Most truck rental locations will have vehicles parked on their lot that are for sale. Typically they have just shy of 100K miles on them, (mine had 89K) and can be driven. Prices are often negotiable based upon your inspection results. Don't be afraid to walk away if they won't come down.
Anyway, sounds like you should expand your search area. And FWIW I'd never buy a lease truck off of anyone on Craigslist, I'd want to buy direct from U-haul or any other national leasing company.

Just my 2¢ on used trucks.

Just my 2¢ on used trucks.

I'm in west central Louisiana.  I'm studying the possibility of getting a mechanic's special variety U-Haul and immediately replacing the engine, transmission, and whatever else is recommended.  I revisited the Penske's today.  Nice truck, nice size.  But I just can't have that translucent roof.

https://trucksales.uhaul.com/Vehicles/Specs/DC?key=107
^ Is the link I was just on. I put in the New Orleans zip, 200 mile radius, 14', any condition and it came up with like 10 or more, starting at $4195 and going up. The one below said the motor was "below average" condition, unkown why.

This one: FOR SALE: 2006 14' Box Truck V10 Equipment NumberDC4436M
VIN1FDXE45S26DA62997
$4,195.00
U-Haul Moving & Storage at Michoud Blvd
4449 Michoud Blvd
New Orleans, LA 70129

(504) 254-1140
Mon - Thurs, Sat: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Fri: 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Sun: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Contact U-Haul Truck Sales®
1-866-404-0355
[email protected]

If you expand your radius to include Houston, you may get more and better results.

Thanks folks.  Yes, Houston is of the nearest areas where I 'm shopping.  And I learned yesterday from a guy at a truck body shop that he replaces translucent roofs with metal all the time, every week.  It costs about $2,600 to do a 16' box.  This opens up my options.  I need not eliminate an otherwise good truck for it's translucent roof.  Replacing a roof is about half the cost of replacing an engine on a truck with a nice roof.  I'm embarrassed.  I should have found this out six month ago.  Again, apparently I'll get my truck once I've learned what I'm supposed to learn.

Appreciate the mea culpa and thanks for the information about roof replacement costs.

Sometimes I get too focused on a detail, and can't see the big picture.

Thomas said:
Thanks folks.  Yes, Houston is of the nearest areas where I 'm shopping.  And I learned yesterday from a guy at a truck body shop that he replaces translucent roofs with metal all the time, every week.  It costs about $2,600 to do a 16' box.  This opens up my options.  I need not eliminate an otherwise good truck for it's translucent roof.  Replacing a roof is about half the cost of replacing an engine on a truck with a nice roof.  I'm embarrassed.  I should have found this out six month ago.  Again, apparently I'll get my truck once I've learned what I'm supposed to learn.
did you do it?

I got a 2007 Ford E450SD non-running mechanic's special 14' U-Haul truck. I did that in May. The bad is that I haven't accomplished the mechanical restoration. My mechanic is having some life issues and I may have to go elsewhere for help swapping out my engine and transmission. The good is that I've been having a ball working on the box since May, and my portion of the project might take another six months. The project has several phases, and many, many steps per phase. Lots of research, several new skills. Successful completion of each little step feels like opening a gift. I'm savoring the experience.

Here is a tip that I wish I had been given. Inside of the box, do the floors, walls, and ceiling first. Everything after that is easy to rearrange by comparison. Here is a link to my build, which I did twice... and notice that I did the floors and walls first the second time. I hope that this is inspiring or that you can at least glean from it a bit: https://ethanboyle.keybase.pub/EP.html