Box truck clearance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Gypsy

Reaction score
I like big trucks!
I'm working on which vehicle I want to buy and a box truck with a lift gate seems to offer the best option to take my toys (atv and power scooter) with me and have room to set up my sewing studio. I'm looking at the bigger diesels and in my area the ones with lift gates are very reasonable. A raised lift gate should make a nice porch as well.

My concern is limb clearance. I'm looking at boondocking mostly in AZ, CO and NM. A big box truck shouldn't be taller than a 5th wheel camper I wouldn't think and I see those on public lands quite a bit. Anyone with a bigger box truck have issues due to clearance? I'm not worried about some scratches.

Also, I'd like to put in a wall with a door and window in the back but still have the roll up door for when I'm going down the road. Is that possible? Video links would be appreciated.
That's actually the only part I want to build in. Everything else will be placed in and secured when driving but be movable and modular. I have a Bluetti AC200p solar generator and 2 suitcase solar panels on long leads that I plan to use for my power needs.
Another big plus to me for using a box truck is payload capacity! I can bring lots of fresh water! Ooooh showers

Any foreseeable problems with taking this size truck to the Baja? I've been over most of mainland Mexico but would really like to travel the Baja.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230502-234444~2.png
    Screenshot_20230502-234444~2.png
    449.6 KB · Views: 0
Box-Truck Advantage:
a) GVWR -- massive compared to one of those midget Sprinter-type vans... maybe, maybe, a dozen Sprinter-type vans could equal one 'adult' rig.
b) 22.5 tires slide quietly gently softly reassuringly over minor obstacles and are vastly more resistant to sidewall abrasion compared to those laughable tiny 16" 'pretend' tires on a Sprinter-type van.
c) commercial-rated Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) components instead of specialty dealer-only parts only available after only ordering from only someplace in Europe.
d) ease of box repairs after a major branch strike and remaining in-service compared to a minor ding totalling the entire Sprinter-type van.
e1) significantly more 'authority' coming up behind some rubber-neck tourist,
e2) significantly more 'motivation' toward wayward pedestrians moping along like they own the Right-Of-Way,
e3) significantly more 'personality' compared to an anonymous Sprinter-type van.
Downside:
a) bridges, overpasses, fuel-station awnings, airport flight-paths are often mis-signed about clearance... so, naturally, the 'cure' involves acceleration.
b) compared to all their Sprinter-type happy-times at Sprinter-type van-camp, we hardly ever get to say:
* "This one time, at box-truck camp...", and for some HouseTruckers, that can be the ultimate humiliation...

I compromised slightly and bought a shuttle bus. Still ample room. Still a lift for my wheelchair. A bit shorter so that clearance isn't quite as big of a concern.
If it doesn't have enough 'get out of my way' motivation I'll put a cow catcher on the front 😁
I wasn't quite in a wheelchair when I made this post originally but I am now so that has become more of a factor. Oh and I've added 2 - 2000 watt Predator generators with the tie kit to combine them for 4,000 watts with a 30 amp plug should the need arise (insert Tim Taylor grunt here).

When I ran a lumber yard I went to look at a box truck that came with 2 20' boxes you could set on the ground via a remote control. When I got back to the yard the front part of our existing box truck was torn off. The driver had 1 wall cabinet to deliver & about 100' before the was a low branch so instead of stopping & rolling the cabinet on the hand truck the driver gunned the truck. Needless to say no new box truck. But if you could find a truck like this it may be very handy as you could leave the box aka mini house & drive the truck to town or where ever. I also have a NIB 8' wide 4' wide alum folding lift gate I'd sell dirt cheap.

When I ran a lumber yard I went to look at a box truck that came with 2 20' boxes you could set on the ground via a remote control. When I got back to the yard the front part of our existing box truck was torn off. The driver had 1 wall cabinet to deliver & about 100' before the was a low branch so instead of stopping & rolling the cabinet on the hand truck the driver gunned the truck. Needless to say no new box truck. But if you could find a truck like this it may be very handy as you could leave the box aka mini house & drive the truck to town or where ever. I also have a NIB 8' wide 4' wide alum folding lift gate I'd sell dirt cheap.

That is really cool! I had no idea that exists! Kinda wish I'd known about this before I bought a shuttle bus and kind of glad I didn't..... Those can't be cheap!
Employees like that is one reason I was a very early retiree. Heck I didn't even ask them to help me with the bees! How hard can it be to PUT DOWN THE PHONE and mow or paint bee boxes 🤦

Texas Gypsy, did you get your box truck yet? That is also what I want. I am considering getting a 20 ft box, installing a slide door at about 16ft and having the other 4ft as storage for bike or scooter. I may have to go to a 24ft as 20 is hard to find. I would like to have a lift also for porch and loading. But I may be dreaming to big.

Texas Gypsy, did you get your box truck yet? That is also what I want. I am considering getting a 20 ft box, installing a slide door at about 16ft and having the other 4ft as storage for bike or scooter. I may have to go to a 24ft as 20 is hard to find. I would like to have a lift also for porch and loading. But I may be dreaming to big.
I'm having rapidly accelerating health issues and ended up needing a wheelchair lift. So went with a shuttle bus.