Anyone ever park for free at a fee based campground?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea west coast thing? never saw that in my east coast into mid america areas I do. coin operated showers? huh--kinda like a drive thru car wash maybe? can ya add a quarter and get soap sprayed on ya :) :)

I'm currently staying at a COE campground in CA (third time here this winter) and everytime I've seen people mainly in small class C or B's come in late and leave early. Obviously I don't know for sure if they have paid or not but it just makes me wonder. There is no host here just a park ranger that comes by usually around 9-10am and again in the afternoon 3 or so. Also the gate closes at 10 and reopens at 6.
I've also seen a woman and her kids who looked like they were living out of small U-Haul box truck come in after 9p and make use of the showers then leave.
I guess I'm curious about this because it's somewhat of a moral dilemma. It's something I've thought of trying, arriving late and leaving early at a campground without paying. I'm mean if I'm not taking advantage of any amenities just parking and sleeping and leaving.

I'm currently staying at a COE campground in CA (third time here this winter) and everytime I've seen people mainly in small class C or B's come in late and leave early. Obviously I don't know for sure if they have paid or not but it just makes me wonder. There is no host here just a park ranger that comes by usually around 9-10am and again in the afternoon 3 or so. Also the gate closes at 10 and reopens at 6.
I've also seen a woman and her kids who looked like they were living out of small U-Haul box truck come in after 9p and make use of the showers then leave.
I guess I'm curious about this because it's somewhat of a moral dilemma. It's something I've thought of trying, arriving late and leaving early at a campground without paying. I'm mean if I'm not taking advantage of any amenities just parking and sleeping and leaving.
Some if not all COEs have gone to online payment.
Some (maybe all) COEs have gone to online reservations/payments. It is posted on the board. Rangers do visit.

I always pay because I want them to continue to maintain the campgrounds and it is the right thing to do.
in some of the more popular and close to civilization campgrounds I have noticed someone driving around slowly at ~ 11pm.

In WA the pay sites are usually at State Park CGs. Not all of them. Some free some pay. The Forest Service CGs are all the same. Pit toilets.... Without a park pass they give you like 15 minutes to park, run it and use the shower. Although I've never seen them ticket anybody.