How to avoid toxic people?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are better off to raise prices and have fewer people to deal with than to lower prices to a point you have many more people to deal with but still make the same amount. More people equals more problems. Trouble makers don’t like to stay at more expensive places as they can’t afford to get kicked out. They would rather stay at cheap places where it doesn’t hurt them financially as much if they get kicked out.

You are better off to raise prices and have fewer people to deal with than to lower prices to a point you have many more people to deal with but still make the same amount. More people equals more problems. Trouble makers don’t like to stay at more expensive places as they can’t afford to get kicked out. They would rather stay at cheap places where it doesn’t hurt them financially as much if they get kicked out.
Where are you guys getting your statistics about "troublemakers" and income? I couldn't find any sources to share about who is nicer: wealthy or low income ppl. But I found this, from NPR: Poor are more charitable

Fewer people makes sense.

Generally, people who have Business experience, or Landlord experience will have learned about this. stuff If you have desirable property and under price it you open the door to troubles like you have now. There are those who have the means to pay a higher fee believing it will put them ;around a better class of folks so they can be in more tranquil surroundings. ( and people who will abide the rules of the campground including the 10 pm until daylight quiet period....where so much trouble seems to stems from ) Most Landlords will tell you that it is a business with a lot of headaches.

If your place develops a good reputation, word of it will travel even if it is a bit more expensive.

There are those in this world who have bad habits to support (drugs & alcohol in particular) that drives them to budget their money accordingly. Lower rent lodging could leave money for other vices.

Bullfrog is right.

I generally avoid people but do often suggest places nearby they can stay. Even people well known to me I usually make sure their visit offers a spot isolated from me and only visit a few times. I saw an add the other day on Craigslist for a full hookup site that required a $40 fee before visiting for a background check. Exact location would only be given after it was complete and satisfactory. One week probationary stay and a maximum of 28 day stays before review and possible renewal for another 28 days. I would assume this is because you could legally have them trespassed if the agreement is 28 days or less at that location anything more and it becomes a rental which gives the legal recourse as a “renter” and you would have to have them evicted. Certain states have squatter’s rights as well you need to look at before inviting people to stay on your property. As stated before it is best if you can get referrals from people you know. I have had friends in vans or seasonal housing that had family members come visit use my camper and it has worked out well.
some good info to think about...thanks

Lol!!! My experience with me! As my grandmother used to say you can’t get blood out of a turnip! Lol!!! Which means a person tends to not mind their behavior or care much about anything else if they have nothing or little they care about to loose. Being or being from a poor section of the country probably alters eDJ’s and my prospective a bit. Higher rates mean the person has more invested and more to loose if they break the rules and of course my granny’s saying “Desperate people do desperate things!” applies as well. It isn’t fair but it is in my opinion how I have seen our society work. I guess I’ll need to start a new thread if you want to talk about how many a person that has plenty of money doesn’t care if they commit a crime as long as they can pay the fine and walk away, a person that doesn’t goes to jail! It makes a difference in your behavior believe me!

you own beautiful property, can offer a nice spot for a camper but in the end, 3 times you got very nasty strangers on your property. I feel ya on that. How would I avoid toxic people, in full honesty I would never open my property to campers, unless I knew them :) And that is because of the issue you have faced. I am sure you got some nice campers also but the ones that stink ruin it for the rest cause I personally, with my personality could not handle that drama one bit as much as I would love to offer a nice service it isn't worth it to me. Now this is my opinion LOL I say put the pros against the cons and decide to keep offering to strangers or not. Key being, anyone with a 'chat' for a bit seem nice til they land on your property and ya got trouble. I also hope you 'got some liability' type insurance etc to cover these people cause if they hurt themselves badly on your land while there, ya know.....they grab a good attorney and next thing ya know they own your beatiful property. I would keep my home as my home and I 'tackle toxic' people out on the road. I am not a people person in any way too so to me to invite strangers to my home base would be a nightmare I just wouldn't do....but again, that is me :) I would consider my home my retreat away from all those toxic people for sure out in the world, I just couldn't invite them into my world like that. ;) wishing you the best way forward on this one.
everything you wrote resonates with me...being any kind of landlord in this day is just a nightmare...sad its this way...soo many people now are just way off, it amazes me the number of people now in the criminal justice system, mental health disorders, drugs fentanyl oxycontin meth etc, violent abusive alcoholic behavior...yikes...i dont WANT to be saying this stuff, it pains me to report this...think i'm done trying to have a camper here, it coulda been good - social support, friendship etc...the risk/reward now is just too lopsided

I've found it's getting more difficult to dance within the different social economic circles without stepping on someone's toes.

You might try offering a spot to only the people that you've interfaced with on your travels.
yes the dance has gotten extremely difficult...well put

I would make a suggestion that might work for you. Become an active member in the Escapees Club. Membership is really cheap. Their chapters have monthly get togethers usually at a local restaurant with times and places listed in their magazine. Many are older and off the road but all have friends or are themselves RV living and traveling. Join and attend their get togethers, if nothing else you will probably make some friends but may also find a good source of good tenants.

I would make a suggestion that might work for you. Become an active member in the Escapees Club. Membership is really cheap. Their chapters have monthly get togethers usually at a local restaurant with times and places listed in their magazine. Many are older and off the road but all have friends or are themselves RV living and traveling. Join and attend their get togethers, if nothing else you will probably make some friends but may also find a good source of good tenants.
This is a good idea!

Also, in general - the very first time someone tells you who they are, believe them. Yes, anyone can have an off day, and do or say something that does not fairly reflect who they are. But its up to them to change the false first impression, it's not up to you to make allowances. Especially if money is involved.

What do you mean by "failed"?

As someone who loves people most of the time, I video chat or talk to them before meeting them, at least twice, and I look at their social media profiles. During the conversation, I usually ask a question, make a passing reference, or express a concern that sets unstable people off - politics, crime, police, homelessness, vaccines, the way society is heading, etc. I look at the way people answer: Do they go off on a tangent, ranting and raving? Do they have a victim mentality? Are they aggressive? Hit the right button and a bomb will explode. I look for the explosion.

Talk to people and look for the flags.

PS Your post almost comes across as advertising. Not saying that's your intent but the way you list all the attributes and the area you're in makes it seem that way.
I know, it should be a great thing, nice beautiful area, the lake etc but I am now gunshy, I think I am done...its easy to say meet with them twice, scour their social media, maybe references, background check...I assure you I met with them, checked things, and it doesnt matter...lots of their issues always surface AFTER they are here...just give it time...and people lie...I'm sorry, they just do. So I dont think I'll entertain this thought of campers on my property...Been there, done that. I appreciate all the thoughts people here have offered.

everything you wrote resonates with me.. it coulda been good - social support, friendship etc...the risk/reward now is just too lopsided
the risk factor kinda now overshadows truly the reward. to your determent. I saw first hand alot of nasty. My mother in law owned 14 single wide trailers she rented. Omgosh the destruction, no rent, Sheriff evictions, courthouse and no payments etc. and then 'add in some scary crazy' during it all. I said when I saw all that, I would never get into that type of biz in my life time :) I run from anything even like it LOL

Generally, people who have Business experience, or Landlord experience will have learned about this. stuff If you have desirable property and under price it you open the door to troubles like you have now. There are those who have the means to pay a higher fee believing it will put them ;around a better class of folks so they can be in more tranquil surroundings.
And all this applies to camping?

My worst experience camping was at Kentucky Lake when they held boat races. ATV's have disturbed my tranquility, as well. And drunks in pricey RV's partying 'til the wee hours.

Stereotyping won't help to clarify anything. Perhaps ya'll have some sources?

This is a difficult post. I've come in from the cold and back to a stick-built brick rancher. I wanted to stay in touch with the Mobile Community so i've been offering a cheap campground alternative for small RV's or vans, camping on my property with electric and water. At a price less than a third of Virginia campground prices. The problem is people now...are...just...nasty. In general. Not just this community. You risk real problems when you interact with strangers. Drugs, addictions, withdrawals, meltdowns, mental illness, criminals, thieves, abusive violent personalities. I have failed 3 straight times with people camping on my property. I'm in a gorgeous part of southern virginia, Virginia Lake Country, 50,000 acre John Kerr Reservoir, fishing, boating, kayaking, state park, waterfront parks, dam...gorgeous. But how do you all navigate the meeting of new unknown people??? Tired about people lying, saying they have no drama, no baggage, then dump a truckload on you. This community is just a cross-section of everybody, but how do you all avoid bad outcomes with strange people. I'm giving up trying to provide a safe affordable spot after 3 strikes. What are you guys finding out there?
So sorry this is happening. I will share my experience for what it's worth.. I interviewed 8 people before finding a good one. He had the right sized RV to fit behind the house so he wasn't visible, and he had a guaranteed though low, social security income It worked out great as we rented the side of our home during a recession. We could shoot the breeze really easy so it was nice when I wanted a quick social fix to just go in the back. He was a bit lonely anyhow so loved to chat. I felt safer with him outside. We were both into gardening. My husband liked him too, they had construction stuff in common. He used the garage to charge his phone, work out with his weights, and otherwise was quiet. His dog started acting up with the neighbors dog and we didn't need to ask him to leave, being older, he saw the writing on the wall so started looking for a campground to stay in. After he left, we never tried it again. We just didn't need the money that bad, I suppose. My husband was never too keen on it but I've always been pretty good with people. He had class. Find someone with class, if hat makes sense. It means that no matter what, there will never be anything that bad happening. Avoid hot button topics until months later when you really feel like you've bonded and can pull it off.
He was no Saint, he had lost his Contractors license, gotten divorced, but we arenym't looking for perfection. Or I wouldn't qualify myself. I had no rules, We provided internet, water and a small amount of electricity for his phone via part of our garage. Normally I would think you would need to interview around 15 people before finding a good one so I felt blessed it was only 8 people I interviewed until he came along. I feel most people are unstable so expect to meet many people from Craigslist responding. It took us about 3 weeks to find the right person.

Just curious but how many people did you interview before choosing one? Did you do research such as use Whitepages.com to find out their age, former addresses, former spouses, etc or websites like, true people search, Facebook, twitter and such to get a feel for them before they show up? If not afterwards? I would never agree to anything with someone until they left. I would promise to call them that night or as late as tomorrow so I can do my online research.

Last edited:
It might not be a bad thought to go back to high school for this one. But before you open your gate, make the candidate write an essay--a LONG one--explaining who they are and why they should be invited. The more a person is forced to write the more they reveal...and if they're ticked off by such an assignment, they're obviously outsiders at the gate. Very few idiots can write a convincing novel. Remain wary until convinced. Anyway, just my flake of seasoning for the pot.

So disappointing that you altruistically offered people a break and a safe place to stay and found that the people who took you up on it were not appreciative and added drama to your life. My suggestions, as a retired mental health professional who worked with sex offenders and domestic violence perpetrators:
1. You teach people how to treat you. So increase your prices and develop some way of establishing upfront thst you won't put up with any bullshit.
2. Always protect yourself.

Generally, I move to the opposite direction. Say, the toxic people are on my left, I sprint right.

Now you have the problem of being static, and you invite these forlorn entities to your place and then you have trouble getting rid of them. Limit everyone's stay to one or two nights. After that they have to leave, unless you want to keep the milder cases.

Carla618 wrote:

And all this applies to camping?

Not to camping Carla.

To the OP who is running a campground and having troubles with troublesome people in this case. We are offering ideas from our experience and opinions here as he requested.