Our First RV Park: Seven Oaks RV Resort (Mission Texas)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffopts

Reaction score
This was our first RV park experience. We rented a converted trailer through AirBnB (we always get scammed or screwed through AirBnB).

Here's a short story of our experience, and then I'll give some more objective-minded review factors.

There was no rule about dogs off-leash in the park in the description. We see everyone has dogs. There are dogs hanging out off-leash, in yards, all over the place.

Well, you can guess that someone anonymously complained about our dogs. And then it just escalated.

I tried being cordial. I went to the office, wrote a letter on a piece of paper stating that I would like to resolve the issue with the person who complained. I left my phone number and email so that they could remain anonymous. As far as I can tell, there's no actual problem.  My dogs are friendly and socialize well with other dogs.

A couple of days go by. No response. Then the office manager comes marching up. I ask her what the issue was and she's saying "sometimes other people's dogs are not friendly so you guys need to keep your on a leash."

Maybe I'm crazy but saying "Other people's dogs are ill-behaved so yours need to be punished/restricted" doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

The office manager was clearly not interest in any kind of conflict resolution. She was there to bark orders (pun intended), and that's it.

We discuss this with AirBnB. She says it's city ordinance, but that doesn't fly because it's private property. She doesn't have a leg to stand on with AirBnB so she lies, makes up all kinds of things to try and make us look bad.

What a load of crap. We just wanted a peaceful spot to build our van.

We are admittedly new to this RV thing, but I love my dogs. I want my dogs to be free, happy, and healthy. Keeping them cooped up inside on a beautiful day, when they aren't hurting a damn thing, and staying right next to us, isn't what I call being a good dog owner.

Ok, I've said my piece. And whatever side you may be on regarding dogs on leashes, you should keep in mind that this place felt like drama-central to us. Don't trust the office here. You'll want to do everything by the book, in writing, they don't seem to care about getting along.

---
Some objective points.

• Mission Texas is in South Texas near Padre, Brownsville, and McAllen.
  • It's a small town but surprisingly busy. One RV couple here told us they were leaving because they thought it would be quieter and calmer.
  • I was raised in Houston, and Houston drivers are very aggressive. Drivers here are just like in Houston (speedy, aggressive, no signal while they cut you off kinda driving.)
  • If you've got dogs, or like to walk barefoot, you'll want to know there are what people call "sandburs" which are little spikey balls about the size of a pea. They are surprisingly painful (like stepping on a LEGO). I had to pull dozens of these things off my dogs' bloodied paws. My dogs were actually avoiding the grass (it's usually the opposite).
  • There's a little fenced-in area, about 50 by 50 feet that they call a dog park. It's big enough for dogs to run around a bit in, but it's full of the sandburs as well. My dogs simply wouldn't run around (they always like to run). Not a great dog area.
  • The grounds themselves are OK. If you like palm trees, there's plenty of those here, and throughout this area of Texas.
  • Mask and social distancing enforcement were very strange here. My wife and I are very health-conscious, so we don't wear masks or social distance if we can at all help it. The strange part is that they have all these rules and signs up, and most people here are over 50. Almost nobody is wearing a mask. Everyone is congregating outdoors and indoors with each other. Not complaining, but if you're someone who's really afraid of the virus, then you may want to avoid this place.
  • There were also quarantine rules for the pool and restrictions on how many people could use the washer and drier area (coin operated). It was said that you had to quarantine for 14 days before using the pool. At first I was wondering, "how do they know who quarantined?" We talk to the other people in the park and they say "if you stay here for 14 days then you've quarantined" we said "but we see people going to the grocery stores and coming back" their reply "yeah but just wear a mask and it's still quarantining" lol?  Again, the less asinine rules the better in my book, but if you believe int he COVID hoax, then better mask up somewhere's else.
  • There is a large park in walking distance. It's got a running path, baseball fields, basketball courts, and a big dog park way in the back. Not many dogs or people around when I went there, and if you're making the trek with your dogs, you may want to drive. It's spiker-ball city getting to the dog park.
  • I couldn't tell you the hook-up situation because we're not using main/shore at this point. 50 amp or 30 amp, I don't know.
  • The people were mixed, some very friendly, some were real creeps, and just about everyone seemed nosey as hell. Guess that's normal in RV parks? We didn't go out looking for people or engaging at all really, they all just sorta came to us. (including people who complained about us)
  • There were showers and bathrooms. I'd call them clean.

If you like authentic Mexican food as we do, there were some good taqueria's around. Grocery shopping and prices aren't bad comparatively. (Prices seem to be going up everywhere. Gee, I wonder why. I digress)
Overall, I recommend steering clear of this place. We're excited to start our lives on the road. Even keeping to ourselves here, drama came a knockin'. If this is what RV parks are going to be like, I'm sure glad I opted for a stealth van!

Well first off welcome! Seems you have learned why most prefer BLM land over RV parks. Bloody paws will get you in trouble as many predators get brave at the smell of fresh blood and boots are sort of necessary in many areas in the southwest as not only goat heads (1/4 spikes) , Russian Olives ( up to 2” thorns that will actually puncture a tire) , sharp mussel shells all down the shores and rocks along the Colorado River as well as sharp rock shards abound between the cactus some which you will want to carry a comb or pliers to remove. Really a leash might not be a bad idea till your dogs have learned what to avoid. National Parks require a leash of no more than 6’ and many trails do not allow dogs as they are too narrow and crowded to insure safe passage for visitors. So you may want to avoid them as well. There is a mask mandate for all federal property for the next 100 days so there is that also. A stealth van might not be as good a choice as a 4x4 truck camper if you wish to go to remote areas and not have to deal with pretty common rules and regulations.

bullfrog said:
Well first off welcome! Seems you have learned why most prefer BLM land over RV parks. Bloody paws will get you in trouble as many predators get brave at the smell of fresh blood and boots are sort of necessary in many areas in the southwest as not only goat heads (1/4 spikes) , Russian Olives ( up to 2” thorns that will actually puncture a tire) , sharp mussel shells all down the shores and rocks along the Colorado River as well as sharp rock shards abound between the cactus some which you will want to carry a comb or pliers to remove. Really a leash might not be a bad idea till your dogs have learned what to avoid. National Parks require a leash of no more than 6’ and many trails do not allow dogs as they are too narrow and crowded to insure safe passage for visitors. So you may want to avoid them as well. There is a mask mandate for all federal property for the next 100 days so there is that also. A stealth van might not be as good a choice as a 4x4 truck camper if you wish to go to remote areas and not have to deal with pretty common rules and regulations.

Thanks a lot bullfrog. I consider myself a nice guy, I have a talent for finding win-wins with people. But I don't like rules that don't seem to make any sense.

Really good info there. We are learning.

BTW, the 100 day mask thing may be a "mandate" but it's not a law. Something like that will never be "lawful" because it actually breaks multiple laws and violates multiple amendments of the Constitution. Believe it or not, some people are standing up against it and winning. But you do have to fight for every inch every where you go. Which is why we are headed for the playas of Mexico.

I believe there are a couple of groups that go to Mexico every year you might want to search out as laws, rules and general interactions with officials can be more problematic especially with pets. I would highly recommend reading some of George and Tioga posts. He has past and the posts are old but still have some good recommendations for travel in Mexico. Vaya con dios!

bullfrog said:
I believe there are a couple of groups that go to Mexico every year you might want to search out as laws, rules and general interactions with officials can be more problematic especially with pets. I would highly recommend reading some of George and Tioga posts. He has past and the posts are old but still have some good recommendations for travel in Mexico. Vaya con dios!

Thanks for the tip, will check them out.

Surprised to hear about more pet restrictions in MX! Everything I've heard from vanlifers and ex-pats says they are laxer. Will be interested to get another perspective.

I was referring to crossing the border coming and going as far as vet records and papers. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

bullfrog said:
I was referring to crossing the border coming and going as far as vet records and papers. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

Ahh, I see. Good to hear! Border crossings are not something we are experienced at all with. The consensus seems to be "expect the unexpected".

Thanks again for the info bullfrog. This experience was one that made me lose a little more faith in humanity. You've restored it, sir.

The main purpose of this site is to help people live the way they want cheaply in an RV. I may not agree with your ideas and beliefs but I served in the military for your right to have them. One reason I enjoy the remote areas is I don’t have to worry about being affected directly by people as there aren’t many and none I have to get any where near which seems to have worked pretty well for me before and during this pandemic. One day my grandkids will ask me how I survived the Great Pandemic and I will tell them “I just went fishing for a couple years!”

Coronavirus and dogs are two topics that cause a lot of controversy on the forums. I have deleted a few posts. Please do not post about these subjects on this thread.

I was just reading about Americans getting fined $$$ or even jail time for not masking down in Baja somewhere. I’m also on a couple of Facebook groups and the Mexicans are extremely unhappy with the Americans coming down thinking they can do whatever they want. They want Americans to wear a mask.

Many dogs run wild down there and most get along but there are those that may attack and even kill your dogs. I’ve heard of many pets being injured from the strays.

Be careful and get as far away as you can from any human being or dog and you might find what you want. Or you could even buy a big swath of land somewhere. Otherwise good luck!

bullfrog said:
One day my grandkids will ask me how I survived the Great Pandemic and I will tell them “I just went fishing for a couple years!”

I will tell them I played on the internet....

'What's that, grampa?'....

:cool:

Back to the RV park and the manager's attitude.

You were guests there for a weekend, correct?

General rule when you are there for a short stay would be to leash your dogs in a RV park. Keep your dogs safe.

The others at the park may be long term residents, who are there all year, or most of the year. They pay the bills that keep the park open, and pay the manager, thus the manager needs to keep them happy to keep the park owner(s) happy.

Having said all of that, that RV park is heading for a liability suit, if the dogs get out of control and cause injury. Having a rule and not enforcing it fully, is worse than no rule at all.

Thanks for posting this thread. One RV park that I will avoid, if I am ever in the vicinity.

It sounds from your initial post that you were looking for confrontation, and found it...waiting for someone to knock that chip on your shoulder off.

If you want that sort of freedom, don't rent, you need to buy !