Question for 6 x 12 cargo dweller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whit30 said:
I've been trying to decide between a 6x12 single axle or 7x14 double axle cargo trailer.

Whichever one you buy, there will be times when you will wish you had bought the other one!

You didn't state what the intended use is....it makes a difference. Or if you did, I missed it. 

If you plan to boondock for weeks on end (or full time) and will be installing cabinetry, multiple heavy batteries, carrying a LOT of supplies, water tanks, cases of canned food, etc, then definitely buy the larger double axle trailer.

If it's for week-long vacations, mimimal build-out, and mostly hauling a scooter and camp chairs etc, the single axle will be fine.

Believe it or not, I actually have one of each. My 6x12 is a single axle V nose converted to a camper and it's build is posted under conversions - just search my user name. My 7x14 is a tandem axle full of metal framed shelving and loaded with tools. My current tow rig is a Ram 3500 diesel dually so neither one is an issue for me to tow. The are both approaching GVWR for the trailer - 3500 for the single axle and 7000 for the tandem. With the single axle I have to remember it's back there as it doesn't slow me down and it honestly doesn't effect my mileage on the highway. The tandem axle doesn't really slow me down either, but I can tell it's back there and it reduces my mileage 1 or 2 mpg. Looking in the rear view mirror the 6x12 definitely bounces around on the highway more, and if I towed with a lighter vehicle like a 1/2 ton that would probably be noticeable in the trucks handling. The outside width is close to the same, as the 6x12 has the wheels outside the box, and the 7x14 has them inside with wheel wells, so no real difference there. I find it easier to back the 7x14, one because tandem axle trailers are just easier to back as they tend to respond more smoothly rather to quickly as you increase the turn with a single axle - hard to explain but if you've spent much time backing both you'll know what I mean. And two, even though the tandem axle is still narrower than my truck, it's closer and about the same width above the fenders so it's easier to see when it's straight. As far as inside room for living, I find the 6x12 to be plenty, even when I haul my KLR I could live long term in it and dream of doing so one day. Even for 2 weeks with one of my sons along it's fine. The only issue I can see is if my wife were to join me for more than a week or two in my winter ramblings I think we would need more storage space, and I'd probably have to leave the bike at home because she doesn't enjoy sleeping next to it. That's not an issue when in camp because the bike can sleep outside, but when traveling and stopping for the night at a Walmart it's to much hassle to unload. If I knew my wife was going to join me full time I'd build a 7x20 or 8x20 with an 8' garage in back and a 12' living space in front - still small enough to get any place my dually is going to go and much more comfort. I hope all that helps.

masterplumber said:
Believe it or not, I actually have one of each. 
Sir Master Plumber has one of everything .   :D
Good thing I know he's a nice guy, or I'd think he was bragging!  Hahahah.  
What tx2sturigis said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Whichever one you buy, there will be times when you will wish you had bought the other one![/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]This is absolutely true.  And true in life in general.  The grass is ALWAYS greener where you didn't move to.  [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Pat [/font]

I will say that after almost a year on the road, if I had the choice again, with what I now know, I would go with a 7' , maybe even a 16' foot one.  

I would like the option of sleeping sideways in the back , without having to orient myself diagonally.  Masterplumber (MP) has a 6x12 that shows he knows how to build stuff.  It looks really nice.  I still look like trailer trash, and my interior displays it.  

MP can make his 6x12 work as well as it does , it's a challenge for me.  

BE THAT AS IT MAY, I would choose 1 foot wider , and if I could , 4 feet longer.  ( I have a 6x12).  

It seems like one should consider every first thing a throw-away, not just a battery.  (Bob says to consider your first battery a throw-away, because you are going to destroy it).    If you're more thorough than myself, and are not under a time-crunch like I was, you can probably disregard the first sentence in the paragraph.  

Hope this helps, 

Pat