Latex Mattress Foam, Custom size, Convertible

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingMobile

Reaction score
I'm planning the bed in my van conversion. I'd like to build a convertible sofa/bed using latex mattress foam. I've been thinking about buying a full size latex mattress and cutting it into two pieces. The first piece to sit on and sleep on most nights, approximately the size of a twin, 38" wide, and the other piece the leftover, approx. 16" as the back of the sofa, which would then fit together with the base pulled out to the full 54" width of the full size bed. 

Anyone have experience, recommendations for this project? Wondering if there are sources of raw materials to cut to size as an alternative to buying an existing mattress, and/or affordable services to have something like this built with a sofa type upholstery cover for the daily routine that I could throw some bedding on top of at night. Thinking of only ocassionally using as a full size bed, most nights as a twin, converting to sofa during day. Any thoughts, recommendations?

If you will be using 3" latex keep in mind it's pretty heavy stuff. A twin size weighs in at 27 lbs. I have a twin that I cut down to two 32" wide pieces to fit my gaucho bed. I've had to experiment a lot with different toppers and other foam densities, so I wanted to make it easier to move around.

For my bed I have a stack with a 2" memory foam topper over the latex which sits on a 3" thick self-inflating camp pad. I'm a heavier person and a side sleeper,so I need that extra thickness. A lighter person might be able to get by with just the latex. Won't know until you try it!

Also, the sleeping pad adds stiffness to the stack and makes it easier to put on fitted sheets. The latex by itself is pretty floppy.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Hmm, good points. I think  the weight and floppiness will work fine for the part that will always lay flat, but the part that will serve as the sofa back support not so much. Maybe some firm, stiffer, and lighter foam as a base, with [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]3" of[/font] latex  as a top layer?[/font][/size]