Planning the future - feedback requested

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseTrue

Reaction score
Hello, community!

I apologize ahead of time if this rambles.  I'm eager to get some 'stakes in the ground' and this community seems to be one of the best to bounce ideas off of.

Within the next 4-5 years, I am going to take (at least) 2 years off from the daily grind (then at age 53-54) to explore the the western hemisphere.  It may turn into a full-time deal if things work out (that's my goal), but I'm realistic in that it may not work that way - life changes.  Travelling in the US, but possibly Mexico/Canada.  I've been wanting to explore/roam for many, many, many years and figure that I'm not getting any younger.  My children will be in or through college by then, so nothing but fear and preparedness will be holding me back.

This is about the preparedness...

I've been doing research for the past 6 months and I've come to the following realization about my limits:
  1. I need about 16' of length for my living area.  I have a good idea of the layout:
    Murphy Bed (full)/Couch with drop-down tableFull-time kitchen/sink with energy-efficient coolerFold-away showerTankless on-demand hot-waterCassette ToiletPlenty of solarNo A/CNo black tank
  2. I don't want to be tied to that 16' all the time as I'd like to travel in a 'normal' vehicle for trips to 'the big city' or exploring deeper territory
  3. I realize that the more complex machines I have, the more money will go into maintenance and the higher the chance of failure (98% x 98% = 96%).
  4. I'd like to get 16 mpg or so while towing, but reliability and towing capacity are the key factors.
  5. I only plan on driving 150 = 250 miles per week in 'combined' mode.  Drive for a bit, boondocking for a week (or more).
That leaves me with two options:

1. Tow a small, efficient, vehicle (toad) with a larger vehicle - possibly a Sprinter or converted small bus
  2. Tow a converted Cargo Trailer with a Truck/SUV. Trailer would be a 7.5 (or 8) x 18 all-aluminum cargo trailer with a 2' V-Nose and 7.5' of interior height.  I'm currently working on a build of an ATC Trailer (http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/), so any feedback on quality of their product would be great.
I'm (heavily) leaning towards option (2), but would welcome feedback.  If I am swayed to option (1), the 'best' 'home on wheels' would need to be decided.  A small AWD SUV would be the toad - but with no need for it to tow anything.

The tow vehicle has not been decided upon, but it could be an club-cab truck, van, or SUV.  

I have plenty of time to decide on the tow vehicle if I go with option 2, but would like to get started on the build-out of the home next spring/summer, so deciding (1) or (2) is important as it will likely take months to find the right vehicle for (1).

Thank you in advance!

I don't know, but to tow an AWD SUV with your home on wheels and get 16 MPG seems a bit optimistic to me. highdesertranger

What is more realistic? 12? 14?

Thanks!

Jessie True
Just trying to make it through

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Jessie! You've come to the right place to ask questions. It seems like you've got the specifics pretty well narrowed down. I think, now, it's more a matter of shopping around and seeing what's going to workfor you.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Funny, I'm 53 now, youngest about to graduate college, and I have similar dreams. They still have to wait a few years until I pay off the house as my wife doesn't like the rougher travel, although she's fine traveling to someplace and staying in a cottage or B and B. So I travel as much as I can now, while preparing for more long term travel in the future.

I built a cargo trailer conversion a few years ago, well it still needs a few things, but they're never truly done anyway as our needs change. Mine is a 6 x 12 v nose and i find it to be perfect. Yes, more room would be nice sometimes, but then I'd just fill it with more stuff. This forces me to truly evaluate everything that goes into it, and not add stuff "just in case". I can still haul my motorcycle and sleep in it at the same time, but I do understand not everyone wants to sleep right next to they're bike. The other great thing about a trailer is I can change tow vehicles, without starting a new build. Just hook up and go. Shoot, I could even blow up my truck, load my tools in a U Haul, connect the trailer and continue on my way if I had to.

Right now I still work full time as a contractor, so I carry a lot of tools and supplies. My current tow vehicle is a crew cab dually 4 wheel drive. Probably more truck than most need but I use every bit of its capacity on a regular basis. Eventually when I semi retire and pare down my road tools, I would like to tow it with something like a 4 wheel drive suburban, expedition, etc, type suv. This would give me a comfortable tow vehicle with plenty of towing capacity, back roads capability, and be large enough to sleep in for a week or two if I want to do something like drop the trailer and head to Baja for a bit.

So that's my dream, I hope it helps sort some things out. For more build ideas there are several trailer builds under the conversions tab, including mine. Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you choose.

JessieTrue:  I cringed when I saw the word "Sprinter".   The horror.

I would suggest a 4x4 truck to tow a trailer.  Without knowing how skilled and willing you are to do maintenance and repairs on a vehicle I can't give more specific vehicle suggestions.

29chico said:
JessieTrue:  I cringed when I saw the word "Sprinter".   The horror.

I would suggest a 4x4 truck to tow a trailer.  Without knowing how skilled and willing you are to do maintenance and repairs on a vehicle I can't give more specific vehicle suggestions.
So, no Sprinter? Even a Ram or Ford?

Jessie True

Current Sprinters have some very expensive problems, from what I've read, and not much of a dealer network
If you're going to tow regardless, I'd do the cargo trailer, for the standing room, though I dunno what you'll tow it with that'll knock down 16 mpg
maybe an older Dodge pickup with the early Cummins? my middle son had a dually he claimed to get 20 mpg with, but that was the older model (I think that engine is called a 12 valve now, and you gotta buy an old truck to get it

Thanks. I'm hand with wood tools (i.e. 'Trailer 'Work'), but want to avoid significant learning, tooling, and errors with my towing vehicle - whether towing the trailer or the toad.

Hence my inclination to go with option 2 which I believe you are confirming.

Jessie True

The more money you are  willing to throw at this problem, the closer you will get to nirvana.  

A new class B ($60,000 +-) can get up to 25 mg on diesel, towing a $30,000 +- prius means for under $100K you have the best of both worlds. 

You need to seriously start with base outlay.

Aren't most of those new class B's built on Sprinter chassis? The ones I've looked at are

GotSmart said:
The more money you are  willing to throw at this problem, the closer you will get to nirvana.  

A new class B ($60,000 +-) can get up to 25 mg on diesel, towing a $30,000 +- prius means for under $100K you have the best of both worlds. 

You need to seriously start with base outlay.
Thinking more along the lines of $40K +/- 15%

Jessie True

JessieTrue said:
So, no Sprinter? Even a Ram or Ford?

Jessie True

The Ram Promaster is a Fiat.  They have been living up to their Fiat legacy for having issues.

The full size Ford Transit seems to be the best of the bunch of the Euro vans so far.  Especially if one gets the non-turbo gas engine.  However, I was considering buying one, and spoke with a very successful lemon law lawyer and asked which auto company was the worst in meeting their warranty obligations to their customers.  He said that hands down Ford was the worst.

After a ton of research I bought a used low miles 2012 GMC Savana G3500 one ton extended cargo with the 4.8L L20 V8 and the six speed 6L90E transmission from Penske.  Serious truck with a real frame.  If I need to stand up in it at some point I can always have Fiberene install a high top on it or possibly a Sportsmobile Penthouse pop top.

That's a good option - a strong, durable, easy to maintain van which can tow and be a small camper for extended 'deep' explorations.

Does the Savana 3500 have any major drawbacks - other than the fact that I won't be earning any Uber money on the side? [emoji1]

Jessie True

16mpg while towing a trailer? Cummins Dodge and maybe some of the newer common-rail Ford and GM trucks might do that, but it's a tall order and they're not cheap. Towing a ~3000# car is a bit easier, but in this country your options are still rather limited.

Look into Isuzu NPR trucks; they might be what you're after.

A heavy trailer in any meaningful "backcountry" setting is going to be a problem even with a capable 4x4 tow rig.

Towing a larger trailer over rougher terrain is very slow going and requires a 4x4 with 4x4 low. I use it to keep from shaking the trailer and its contents all to hell when going down trails that some wouldn't take their SUVs on. Painfully slow is a understatement as you have to watch each of the trailers tires going over the rocks/ ruts tilting back and forth as it does. Our last trip in took 45 minutes to go 4 miles from the pavement. 15 minutes for the first 3, 30 minutes on the last mile to the site.

I can feel your pain trying to figure out your ultimate "living quarters" I'm going through it now. I've never had a harder time making a decision in all my life! And i've done lots of road trips, camping, and adventuring over the years. I've lived out of a van, jeep, rv trailers, tents, etc. Had a good time in all of them, think that's what's making it such a difficult decision.

But i'm leaning towards the cargo trailer conversion and towing it with a pick up. And setting the truck up to spend time deeper in the backcountry if I don't want to or can't get the trailer there.

The one thing I do know is no matter what I do, it's having 4 wheel drive.

Hi Jessie... don't know if you are still looking, but we have done both!... I will explain...

We bought a Nissan NV2500 Cargo Van High top.  But, the NV3500 would be better as that size
engine would easily afford the second alternator (and there are kits available)
we would like to use to assist in battery backup / replenishing when too much rain or
too many clouds and our use outdoes the batteries.

First...I love, did I say, I love this van.  So much fun to drive, park, use!!  I drive it
everywhere.

My husband did all the work on it, me helping of course. And we both came up with
ideas we want in the van...so a lot of fun creating this thing.

[We highly insulated this, but... I would do differently on the initial base coat...spray
in the foam insulation, first, before other insulation on top of this.]

We have a pair of twin beds mounted on the passenger side wall that fold up against
the wall when not in use.  We have 9" foam latex mattresses. Pete even fixed my bed so 
I could raise my head when sleeping. We have a shower, portable toilet we keep in the
shower, sink, countertop, microwave, two Whynter refrig/freezers, cabinets above,
with large mirror on outside of cabinet above the sink, and storage in an area designed
for what we also wanted to carry... two large sliding shelves with lots of height, and above
these, two solid shelves for lots of storage we don't access all that much.  On the back of the
shower wall at the back door we have a utility wall for hanging various necessities, cords, etc.

We have our house batteries underneath our sliding shelves, using the area over the top of
the wheel-well on the drivers side. We have 3 / 218ah Odyssey AGM batteries.  We have a
fantastic fan, and 4 / 105 watt solar panels on the roof. 

This is a cargo van initially. So, the roof has places where you can bolt on a roof rack. No cutting
into the van!!!  Anyway... please consider the Nissan NV 2500  (can tow 7000#'s) or NV3500
(can tow 9500#'s)...

We also built into a 6 x 12 tandem wheel trailer with side door and rear barn doors. Has a Precision Temp
RV-550 – Tankless Water Heater for RVs and Trailers http://www.precisiontemp.com/rv-and-trailer/ .
Two 30 gal LP Tanks. We have a unique water tank system inside the trailer that will hold 40 gal.  Carpeted, woodwork finished nicely, spray foam insulated, LED lighting and lots of storage shelves.
We have 6 Deka Marine Batteries, group 31, and 4 / 105 watt solar panels on the roof.

Whatever direction you go, you will certainly have fun.

Nissi said:
We also built into a 6 x 12 tandem wheel trailer with side door and rear barn doors. Has a Precision Temp
RV-550 – Tankless Water Heater for RVs and Trailers http://www.precisiontemp.com/rv-and-trailer/ .
Two 30 gal LP Tanks. We have a unique water tank system inside the trailer that will hold 40 gal.  Carpeted, woodwork finished nicely, spray foam insulated, LED lighting and lots of storage shelves.
We have 6 Deka Marine Batteries, group 31, and 4 / 105 watt solar panels on the roof.

Whatever direction you go, you will certainly have fun.

Would love to see pictures of your trailer!

Hi Jesse, and welcome to the forum! I am also planning a cargo trailer build. I dont know if you have bought anything yet since this thread is a couple months old, but if your gonna be traveling alone, i would go with as small a trailer as you could. A 6x12 would be plenty for 1 person. I am planning a 7x18 or 7x20 aluminum, but i will be travelling fulltime with my wife and 13 year old home schooled son, so we need that extra room. Keep us updated on what you come up with.