RV park life, is it affordable for low income?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever post something and afterward decided it didn't really need to be said? Sorry for derailing the thread.
I don't think it derailed the thread at all. As you pointed out, reducing calories (and other food problems) = saving money. And in the long run, more healthy translates to more affordable in other ways. So, it's part of the puzzle. Plus, inspiring, dude!

Land is becoming more expensive it seems to me every day. Older parks are being bought out and residents forced out then developed into more profitable enterprises. Workamping is still available to those that feel they can but totally free full hookup sites are rare except for many hours of volunteer work it seems to me. Rural communities are more tolerant of tiny homes and many communities are allowing additional housing to be developed on single family properties. Places like Caballo Loco are filling up and older less mobile folks like us have a difficult time staying on remote BLM land for extended time so following the seasons becomes more difficult. We like many have made plans to rent a full hookup site in town with full hookups on private individual’s (friends and family) property, not cheap but without the fuel expenses of moving often affordable for us. Just so you know remote living does have hidden costs as well. Just payed a tow trucking company to haul off our disabled motor home after years of living in it on concessioned federal land at a cost of $2,000 ( to move it 66 miles ) avoiding an additional abandonment fine of $600. Yes we checked out all other options before doing so. Over the last 20 years a full hookup site with all utilities had gone from free to recently $450 a month which made living in a town not only more convenient but cheaper.

I been thinking about two avenues in the next few years.

One being the more realistic option. Buying a 10-20K RV trailer that weighs under 3,500lbs and towing it with my minivan 2-4 times a year to long term RV parks within cities. Maybe even staying at the LTVA and then driving to work at the big box retail store that I work at. Right now I'm a supervisor and make 22 an hour but if I transfer likely I'd go back down to an entry level worker which is around 15 bucks an hour.

I'm just NOT a boondock person. I did stay a year in the LTVA during the pandemic and enjoyed it but now I don't think it be for me. Quartzite is beautiful but I'd rather be living in town where I can walk to a few places, even if I have to drive locally 2 milles that's fine too.

I was thinking staying around Yuma during the winter and then maybe driving up to Flagstaff during the summer, or better yet New Mexico. I loved Santa Rosa and Las Vegas New Mexico state parks. ( I could have sworn Story lake had a first come first serve long term visitor area, unless it was stay limits..) I would defiantly would stay in Santa Rosa for a 3 day weekend and then back to work in the big town for the 4 day work week!

I'm in my prime, my late 30's some may call me lazy but I just want to have a work life balance where I work 30-36 hours a week and don't have to work 40+ hours a week.

Option 2 which is somthing I would perfer MORE is to buy a school bus likely one of the shorter ones a mix between a skoolie and a full size bus. They are more rare to see them but they do exist. I would slowly build that bus out and would tow my minivan then I could park the bus and drive my van to work daily. However I'm not a fan of big driving commutes. Right now I commute all of 6min one way.

I don't think that option is realistic because not easy to find long term parking for a bus. With option one I know im buying somthing poorly made and that will only last 10 years, 15 years at best before it's banned from the RV parks for being to "old"

Feels like I'm hitting a roadblock. Is this a more affordable option or is it as upside down as mobile home living?
Here's my limited experience last week in August 2023.
I was in Henderson, Nev. In my 2023 Promaster 1500 so nice, clean non-discript no one could complain it was old or junky so l know that wasn't the problem. No place to park, Walmart will allow 1 night. They have parking lot security that drives a security truck through the parking lot all night. If you've been there 1 night already they ask you to leave. I never make noise, never put anything out and absolutely no trash....doesn't make any difference. I leave early and spend the rest of the day looking for dispersed camping outside the city. Henderson is a very nice well planned community, parking in a neighborhood you would stick out like a sore thumb. I also went to Sam's Town btw LV and Henderson to their RV park. I could park there starting at $56/night w/o paying for any amenities. YIKES. There are places , so far just not like its presented on you tube for parking in a city l've been to. Quartzsite and outside of Havasu City yes you can find boondocking. So hot still. The suspention on my van is quite close to the ground... makes rocky, washed out roads a no-no. Good luck to us all...we'll figure it out.

Just a passing thought...

Everyone seems to mention highly-populated areas, which always cost more for most things. What about trying smaller towns or less populated areas? Sure, the bigger places have more available stuff, but how much do you really need?

So were you only parking a few hours to sleep or trying to park there for 24 hours or more? Were there any 24 hour gyms with free trail memberships? Any 24 hour restaurants? Any day use areas to park at during the day? Hospital or truck parking areas? Point is it is difficult to stay in one place for extended periods in populated areas. Ideally you move several times a day and sleep when you can while in those areas. I understand there may be more job opportunities at higher pay in those areas but unless your employer has 24 hour parking it can be difficult.