RV park life, is it affordable for low income?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A place you can be, when you need one, for whatever reason. Also, your very own storage depot. Granted, not strictly necessary, but maybe emotionally necessary.
If it's very hot or very cold for part of the year, this makes it less useful I think. Not reliable.

What are the reasons why you'd need "a place you can be"... and why would it be better to have something already set up, and likely far from where you are, and not even a place where you prefer to be... rather than find a place that is convenient if/when the need arises?

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst? Right now I have relatives I can park at should I want or need to.

But... Maybe the price of fuel skyrockets or is actually rationed (like in WW2?) Maybe we have some national schism and I can't travel to half the states? Maybe aliens invade and shoot everything that moves?

Or on a slightly more realistic plane, maybe I just need to park the rig to heal up (me or the rig) from some illness or injury. Just because some of us are considering a home base doesn't mean we have to stop wandering. And if it is never needed, we can (hopefully) sell it for a profit or let our kids have it when we are gone.

I've been mulling over this, which is why I ask. I like the idea of it... in my imagination. When I actually think about it though, the utility of a homebase doesn't make a lot of sense.

If gas goes up, I can drive less. The distance from summer to winter locales doesn't need to be a lot, and trips to town can be minimized by parking close to town. I'm sure I can consume a lot less fuel than the average person who doesn't live in their vehicle.

If you can't travel to half the states, it would suck to own property in the wrong one. If aliens attack, being mobile seems the best. Mobile is best for all sorts of things. Regarding "what if" and emergency scenarios, I can't think of anything on the + side in the "stuck in one spot" column. If your homebase is in either an ideal summer or winter climate, it will not be viable in the "off" season. IMO the only year round "nice" climates are 4-7k ft in southern TX, NM, and AZ. Of those, TX is the best for me from an expense/tax standpoint. The major downside of TX is the need for yearly vehicle inspections... and it's farther from where I'd be camping.

If I'm so badly injured or sick that I can't drive, I'm not going to be able to travel to my homebase... and if it's in the boonies, I wouldn't want to be there anyway. The same goes for the rig breaking down; that needs to be dealt with where you are at the time. If I need a "spot" for some reason (convalescing or waiting for repairs), then asking friends for help or renting in the local area seems like the way to go.

Ruff, if aliens attack, Jackson might be safe...
Oh and the Tx annual inspections go away in 2025.
Guy at the inspection station we go to in D/FW said yes, safety inspections go away. But emissions inspections do not.

Oh and the Tx annual inspections go away in 2025.
There goes one negative aspect! (y)

Guy at the inspection station we go to in D/FW said yes, safety inspections go away. But emissions inspections do not.
Emissions testing will only be in certain counties... populated ones I guess... like most states.

You must mean 4-7 k ft in *west Texas*. Southern Texas is a flat, low plain, even San Antonio is only 643 ft above sea level. Laredo is at 438 ft. Also, due to Texas having been an independent republic before statehood, there is very little public land in Texas.

Last edited:
You must mean 4-7 k ft in *west Texas*. Southern Texas is a flat, low plain, even San Antonio is only 643 ft above sea level. Laredo is at 438 ft. Also, due to Texas being an independent republic before statehood, there is very little public land in Texas.
yes but they have Taco Palenque down there.❤️

You must mean 4-7 k ft in *west Texas*. Southern Texas is a flat, low plain, even San Antonio is only 643 ft above sea level. Laredo is at 438 ft. Also, due to Texas having been an independent republic before statehood, there is very little public land in Texas.
SW Texas... or the only part that has >4k ft elevation.

The lack of BLM is odd, but this is for a homebase not boondocking, so I'm not sure it matters too much. There are big NP and SP lands just south, but there is less freedom with those.

It is odd, because Texas has large military areas, so they aren't totally opposed to Federal lands inside the Republic. DoD Dollars matter.

SW Texas... or the only part that has >4k ft elevation.

The lack of BLM is odd, but this is for a homebase not boondocking, so I'm not sure it matters too much. There are big NP and SP lands just south, but there is less freedom with those.
The land in the mountains of west Texas is all taken by very large ranches and private holdings for hunting, reserved for the very rich and the politically connected. I very much doubt there are any small, affordable parcels to be had. Even if there were, they would be without water.

The land in the mountains of west Texas is all taken by very large ranches and private holdings for hunting, reserved for the very rich and the politically connected. I very much doubt there are any small, affordable parcels to be had. Even if there were, they would be without water.
Plenty near Fort Davis, in the $50k range for 5 acres. Wells need to be drilled pretty much anywhere. If you are hoping for $10k parcels, I haven't seen any that cheap. Like every place that would be decent, prices went up a lot during covid.

A lot of the smaller parcels I have seen are lots in new subdivisions, that have restrictions about type of dwelling or you must commit to building. Sometimes these attempted ritzy subdivisions fail, and then the lots may be cheaper and less restricted.

I looked a little further south and there are $7k 5 acre parcels between Alpine and Big Bend NP.

I looked a little further south and there are $7k 5 acre parcels between Alpine and Big Bend NP.
Big Bend is rather, uhh, desolate in most spots. Sure wouldn't be a 3 season spot, maybe 2 season. It‘s also a crossing point for
”southern migrations”, which aren’t necessarily just Monarch butterflies.

A good reference is from “thepointsguy.com”:

“Big Bend National Park is a land of contrasts.
Nestled deep in southwest Texas, this expansive, desolate park extends along the Mexican border for over 100 miles. Within the park boundaries, you can go from 7,825-foot Emory Peak in the Chisos Mountains down to cacti-dotted Chihuahuan Desert floor and all the way to the Rio Grande carving into ancient canyons...

…Outside the park, the closest town is Terlingua. A former mining community around the turn-of-the-last-century, it was the site of the first famous championship chili cook-off in 1967. Cute, right? Now, the historic "ghost town" has a few lodging and bed-and-breakfast style options, many of which are found on Airb

At the northwest corner of Big Bend, approximately 20 miles from the Maverick Junction park entrance, is the four-star Lajitas Golf Resort and Spa. The hotel is even equipped with its own small airstrip so you can charter a flight to Big Bend's entrance if you so choose.

If you'd rather stay in a slightly larger town, a day trip from the likes of Alpine, Marathon or Marfa is also possible. However, recognize that this will involve a considerable amount of driving.

But on the plus side, these areas are much more developed with a wider array of accommodation options, from small boutique properties to even points hotels such as the Hampton Inn in Alpine…”

For Sale
$15,000
  • 5.3acre lot

G367 S Martinez Rd, Terlingua, TX 79852​

• Property type
    Land
  • Time on Realtor.com
    9 days

Property overview​

This surveyed 5.302 acre tract is less than 2 miles off Highway 118 and only a 25 minute drive to Big Bend National Park. The Little Burro Country Store is also right down the road. Easily accessible!! No high clearance or 4WD required. Level building site and amazing views of the surrounding mountains make this the perfect spot to build your off-grid cabin. For more information or to schedule a showing call Lynn .

I think the only reason to live in Terlingua would be if you really want to live in Terlingua.
It's not going to solve any of your other problems or make anything else you want to do any easier.
In fact, it would probably give you new problems and make most things harder.

Not saying it would't be worth it!

I like that line of "...In fact, it would probably give you new problems...".
So true.

Often what we think is "the answer" is just another issue to work on.

This whole land thing is fraught with issues, unless it was given to me or I could rent someone's "corner" off their land, it isn't sounding very doable. Sigh.