RV park life, is it affordable for low income?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe that stoppage is state wide since I have heard the same about Tucson not authorizing any more new construction. But already authorized and ones in process are excluded from that ruling. Also it probably won’t last very long.

The Colorado City issue was surely water. Dry as a popcorn fart out there, that's one reason the 1960's Mcullough Properties development never made it. There is a village/town there now of appx 2300 people. Lots are still plentiful, here's an example: (Just don't forget the tap fees, ha ha ha.

$3,900
6,969.6 Square Feet

LOT 951 Boulder Dr #9, Colorado City, CO 81019​

1688335106940.png
I thought I had found "the place" back in 1980, but...

Water, or lack thereof, is what I would be most concerned about in the SW desert areas. I understand Phoenix is already stopping any new construction.
They are restricting construction on developments that rely on ground water. Most areas in Phoenix do not. I expect the effect on Phoenix's growth will be ~0.

The "crisis" regarding CO River water was caused by over-allocation... due to estimating the available supply by measuring during an exceptionally wet period. To promote development, rights to this water were sold very cheaply for irrigation, and as such, farmers have no incentive to conserve it. Crops that require a lot of water (like rice) are grown. Even now after a big population boom, 80% of the water is used for crops.

Since the supply is less than allocated, and the actual use has grown to be exactly what was allocated, the reservoirs have gone dry, and an agreement was reached by all the parties involved to cut use for the next 3 years. After that it will be renegotiated.

The Colorado City issue was surely water. Dry as a popcorn fart out there
They average 15"/year. Not exactly desert. Would they let you collect off your roof, or is that illegal?

Instead of focusing on all the places where we can't live cheaply, maybe it would be better to find places where we can?

There are cheap places but usually they are too distant from medical treatment, grocery stores and water/propane/trash and sanitary dumps for most people to live there. Most people are not willing to educate themselves and accept the compromises required to be able to live simply. How well you can live simply and not have to make trips to those resources will usually be what determines how cheap it is. We have had members here live well simply by mainly only sleeping in their vans, following good weather, staying mainly in urban areas with health clubs, cheap fresh food, visiting parks, libraries, museums and public areas during the day. Many others work seasonally where lots or housing are provided. Most of those make enough to pay all their expenses plus build up an emergency fund. Many are well over 70 years old and have disabilities but because they receive Social Security and Medicare or are veterans don’t have many other expenses besides food and housing and therefore can take or do jobs without benefits younger more qualified people cannot afford to work. Several of us have been able to adjust our lives to make living simply and cheaply work for us in our own unique situations. A cheap place to live depends more on how you live than where you live in my opinion. Owning property requires a long term commitment in most cases and with improvements quickly becomes very expensive and work intensive. If you are young it can possibly be a good investment of extra income but if you are old on limited income it will be difficult in my opinion. Renting a cheap place to live on a friend’s or relative’s property even if you have to help them buy it may be a better alternative in my opinion.

Last edited:
Bullfrog, that was well said. For some, where they live is more important than how expensive it is, ie. the PNW, Id, Co, Cali are places people want to live for the natural beauty despite the ridiculous cost.
Sure its cheaper to live around Jackson Ms than San Diego but not too many would choose it.

When I was younger I wanted to own land, or just a home of some kind. Yes it was more work to maintain and improve it but overall I made money on real estate, well except for the 2006-2010 timeframe.

Now at almost 70 I don't have the energy to invest in another place, don’t even know how long I will be around. So an rv, van or some inexpensive way to live while on my SS and pension are all I should need.

I still look for that cheap acreage so as to have some kind of a home base but I don’t think it is going to happen. Adjusting my expectations (downwards) is key to not being unhappy.

Maybe the trick is finding the place(s) you love that haven't made it onto the Top 10 lists. (And then pray nobody "discovers" them.) Keep your "must have" list short and your "nice to have" list long.

Maybe the trick is finding the place(s) you love that haven't made it onto the Top 10 lists. (And then pray nobody "discovers" them.) Keep your "must have" list short and your "nice to have" list long.
Now that would be tough, as most people like scenery, comfortable temps and such. Of course a few may think the more desolate parts of the west are nice but most probably like it more temperate.

Theres a reason the US government relocated the native tribes to parts of NM, AZ and OK, and it wasn't because they were nice places.

Ok, I get it. Humidity, bugs and crime arent what you are wanting. How about desolation, wind and little flood risk?

https://ap.rdcpix.com/f45dffd56385eac4a9143c71853c48dal-m2016970862od-w480_h360_x2.webp
For Sale

$15,000​

Est.
  • 40acre lot

Mcdonald Red Desert, Wamsutter, WY 82336​

Property details​

Own this piece of beautiful Wyoming Red Desert. This is the perfect property for those that want their own camping spot, Or for those that want to go riding and expoloring on their own 40 acres in the middle of nowhere. Call Brian for more info or for directions.

Property Features​

Land Info​

• Lot Size Acres: 40.0
  • Topography: Rolling
  • Lot Size Square Feet: 1742400
  • Property history​

Property price
    DateEventPricePrice/Sq FtSource
    07/16/2022Listed$15,000-CasperWY

Nearby home values​

We are sorry. No nearby home values are currently available for this home. We recommend you work with a real estate professional to help you make informed financial decisions.
You could probably camp out there without anyone bothering you.
Not sure about access though.

Hmm, I’m 0/2 here so far, how about Missouri for the win! This one actually looks nice, says no restrictions or building codes. Maybe a tornado or two but you could dig a bunker. Lots of photos!

https://ap.rdcpix.com/0b4a667cb37abc221338d4b9992e3242l-m2657175780od-w480_h360_x2.webp
For Sale

$16,000​

$9K
Est.
  • 3acre lot

11-0 001 County Road 329, Dora, MO 65637​

• Property type
    Land
  • Time on Realtor.com
    28 days
  • Property details​

This property in Ozark County, Missouri has plenty to offer! With its tranquil 3-acre tract m/l, significant frontage, and easy access along two county roads, this location seems quiet, secluded, and traffic-free. What's even better is that there are no building or livestock restrictions, and electricity is nearby, making it an ideal location for those looking to pull up a camper, homestead or build their dream home. Furthermore, the region's natural beauty offers a wide variety of activities for outdoor enthusiasts, including world-class fishing and recreational opportunities at Norfork and Bull Shoals Lakes. Nature lovers will be thrilled with the North Fork of the White River, Mark Twain National Forest-North Fork Recreation Region, and Devil's Backbone Wilderness, which offer hiking, birding, and hunting adventures.

Now that would be tough, as most people like scenery, comfortable temps and such. Of course a few may think the more desolate parts of the west are nice but most probably like it more temperate.

Theres a reason the US government relocated the native tribes to parts of NM, AZ and OK, and it wasn't because they were nice places.

And relocated the tribes without regard for lands they had lived on prior, causing battles between the tribes.

"We're here from the US government to help you."

I wouldn’t buy any property any place I hadn’t lived locally and recently for at least a few years. Local knowledge gained by living there and getting to know the people, rules and regulations you will be dealing with will be most likely what makes it possible on a limited budget to keep from going broke or becoming so unhappy with the situation you abandon or sell the property. Buying property is a big deal especially if it is money you cannot afford to lose. Go to the area and rent, work or boondock and learn before blindly buying. Volunteer at Escapee’s Care Center in Livingston Texas. There is a wealth of experienced people there to help you plus you get an free space for your RV. There isn’t anything simple or easy about this process. There are lots of people out there waiting to take your money!

Last edited:
Sure! Everyone who believes that all the attractive places are already taken should definitely stop looking elsewhere. I would encourage that. ;)

Eastern Oregon:

Available
$9,500
Mountain Ln , Christmas Valley, OR 97638(Lake County)
Size: 2.34 acres
Type: Recreational Property, Undeveloped Land, Homesites

Incredible 2.34 Acres With Water & Great Road Access, Close To Town !!​

Here's a very rare opportunity to buy a piece of land with city water, and great road access, ideally located 5 minutes from Christmas Valley Town. With only a few nearby neighbors, you are free to develop this lot in almost any way you can imagine. It is just the right size for a small family homestead or horse property.

This sunny corner of Southern Oregon is an outdoor lovers paradise. With four distinct seasons, you will never run out of new adventures. The areas hiking trails lead through some of the most stunning landscapes in the Great Basin. The Rogue Trail takes you through a canyon, following the river where you might discover new waterfalls and rapids.

ZONING: R-1 Rural Residential

POWER: Would be by solar

SEWER: Would be by septic

WATER: Yes. City water

PHONE: Cellular or Satellite

RV LIVING: Allowed. 21 days every 6 months

ELEVATION: 4356 ft

ACCESS: Dirt and Gravel Roads

Oh well, not meant for your boondocking…

I wouldn't even drive thru Jackson MS again. Thought I bought a plane & set of floats. Drove there from MI w/my oldest son who was going to haul the floats & I was going to fly the plane. Found one wing crooked, a 2"x x 4" hole in the windscreen & bullet holes thru the wings where gang bangers shoot up in the air & they come thru the hanger roof. The local head IA for the hospital helo was handling the sale & took pics not showing any damage. The whole town had a terrible stench to it.