RV park life, is it affordable for low income?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By options I mean things are always changing and there can be many solutions. The number of solutions is often determined by how ready and able you are prepared to change. If you stop considering changes and get comfortable with the status quo you won’t be ready when change happens. You have a big one ton truck. You decide to get a big toyhauler RV because you have for years had the same seasonal job at the same place. Your contact for seasonal work suddenly isn’t there any more because of cutbacks and neither is your seasonal job. The past few years have you considered other jobs? Places you could park cheaply? Getting a cheaper smaller RV or van? Built up the emergency fund enough to spend a year or two without working? What could you have done or do now that would have given or will give you more options? Even when I return to the same area seasonally I usually find a different or what might be a better job. I’ve worked for concessionaires in several different jobs, National Park Service in several different seasonal jobs, Fish and Wildlife, State Department of Natural Resources and maybe after getting job offers from private startup companies I have dealt with work there next season. I’m becoming adjusted to the changing world around me by changing and not expecting things to be the same. I always check out free camping spots and cheap alternative places to rent or stay. I continue to try to get down to living out of a backpack and make sure I have a way to deal with “stuff” should something happen to me, after all I ain’t getting any younger!

Last edited:
Hmmm... Gets me thinking.

1. I only eat plants and fish. They could certainly be found is many rural areas.
2. Use it up and wear it out works for most of my stuff. So, less need to truck in more stuff.
3. I'm set up with solar and batteries and electronic entertainment.

Yup! If there's clean air and water, I think I could do with a nice cheap little spot somewhere.
Thats the issue… somewhere.

I have been looking for an acre or so, bordered by trees from the road and neighbors, just for some privacy. You'd think I could find something like that without being in a flood zone, beside a RR track, an airport, a busy highway, cement plant, run down trailer park meth lab etc.

Then there’s the issue of how it is zoned or other county restrictions.
I’ve seen some useable and cheap land yet upon researching further it is landlocked property with no legal access.

While a person could purchase a property and take the chance of not being turned in for violating county ordinances or zoning laws, it isn’t worth it to me to possibly end up with an unusable piece of land, much less having spent money on any improvements on it.

If you have lots of $ then you can find bigger parcels however I’m not in that category of wealth. Seems like the least expensive land is in places you wouldn’t necessarily want or be able to live in, who’d have thought?

Seems like the least expensive land is in places you wouldn’t necessarily want or be able to live in, who’d have thought?
I discovered 35 years ago that it's hard to beat camping on remote BLM and NF land, and moving with the seasons. Get a smallish rig that can handle rough roads and even technical trails well... ground clearance and good tires/suspension being most important. Makes the washboard a non-issue, and allows you to go places where RVs fear to tread. Park within 2 hrs of a viable town, and visit it once a week. These days you can even have a refrigerator and internet!

If you need even more distraction by being in/near a viable town daily... especially the same town all year... then that's completely different.

In Pima County Arizona land zoned GR-1 allows you a lot of options. Because of that it can be very expensive. Most of it that hasn’t been built on already most likely has issues like flooding or lack of water. I imagine most areas in the west are like this. If you can afford the down payment to buy it you may be able to rent out a few spaces to friends to help pay for it but it will be a long term mortgage most likely and require expensive improvement of utilities as well. BLM or cheap RV parks/lots most likely will be cheaper especially if you work camp in the short term in my opinion.

I see the original poster hasn’t been posting since March. The original post has him working less then 40 hrs a week as a standard. With the debt he has I think the otr advice was solid. But to justify a dedicated to him type rig, he’d need to put in a minimum 40-50 hrs a week...
Your not going to be free until the debt is paid.
Bullfrog... I was thinking of checking that loco place out. You seem happy there?

Most of the cheap AZ land deals I have seen are under 5 years to payoff and are self financed by the seller. Not bank financed unless bank owned.

Hmmm... Gets me thinking.

1. I only eat plants and fish. They could certainly be found is many rural areas.
2. Use it up and wear it out works for most of my stuff. So, less need to truck in more stuff.
3. I'm set up with solar and batteries and electronic entertainment.

Yup! If there's clean air and water, I think I could do with a nice cheap little spot somewhere.
Pretty much my list, except I'd throw in a library. Could be a small branch that is only open a couple days a week though. I don't NEED a library, but I am just really happy hanging out in them! Also, a town pool would be nice. Not that I actually swim...

Thats the issue… somewhere.

I have been looking for an acre or so, bordered by trees from the road and neighbors, just for some privacy. You'd think I could find something like that without being in a flood zone, beside a RR track, an airport, a busy highway, cement plant, run down trailer park meth lab etc.

Then there’s the issue of how it is zoned or other county restrictions.
I’ve seen some useable and cheap land yet upon researching further it is landlocked property with no legal access.

While a person could purchase a property and take the chance of not being turned in for violating county ordinances or zoning laws, it isn’t worth it to me to possibly end up with an unusable piece of land, much less having spent money on any improvements on it.

If you have lots of $ then you can find bigger parcels however I’m not in that category of wealth. Seems like the least expensive land is in places you wouldn’t necessarily want or be able to live in, who’d have thought?
The cheapest land is land you don't own.

I have found two private owners who let me stay on their land for free for extended periods of time. Yes, they could go away at any moment. That's the deal. Be grateful and move on.

Caballo Loco is really a unique place. Most people wouldn’t like being 8 miles down a rough dirt road with limited utilities. You do have an option to have a storage shed. Summers require you are able to live in high heat with limited power for running AC. Winters are comparable to staying on BLM with easy access to showers, water and trash unless you opt for full hookups with electric available from 9AM til 9PM. You are about 45 minutes to an hour from anything and Tucson is another few minutes to an hour depending on where you are going in town as it is really spread out. Really nice people work together to keep it up and you can have horses.

Typical land listing… And this is out of town. The county has no restrictions but private owners can restrict whatever they want to restrict.
For Sale $18,500

Regency Dr Lot 22, Hartsville, SC 29550​

• 0.8acre lot
Restrictions for Minimum of 1800 SF. Only detached single family dwelling is allowed. Somewhat rolling hills with trees located on the lot for privacy.

Then I saw this one, sounded good until I saw the shoebox style lot. Its about 20 times as long as it is wide. Why do people split their land like that?

For Sale

$25,000​

• 1 acre lot

2378 Black Creek Rd, Walterboro, SC 29488​

• Property type

Its about 20 times as long as it is wide. Why do people split their land like that?
Is there an actual Black Creek? could it be to give lots of land parcels waterfront access?
IIRC from reading, that (long and narrow) is how they used to lay out plantations in Louisiana in the 18th? 19th? centuries.

Is there an actual Black Creek? could it be to give lots of land parcels waterfront access?
IIRC from reading, that (long and narrow) is how they used to lay out plantations in Louisiana in the 18th? 19th? centuries.
1687987917624.png

Says it has septic, probably an old well too. Not much privacy from neighbors though.
The search continues…

I would guess this was the only way to subdivide the original lot without any segments being landlocked.
What would bother me most is: "Minimum of 1800 SF. Only detached single-family dwelling is allowed" I think I don't want a 1800SF stick and bricks anymore. Maybe a lot of other people don't either, but zoning still calls for them. Exactly who is this serving?

It is serving nearby property owners who do not want trailers, RV’s, tiny houses, shacks, etc., setting up permanent residence in their neighborhood.

If zoning laws don’t fit current conditions, towns and counties will change them.

Back to the question about rv parks.

I checked the websites of 2 area ones (in S Carolina), I don't know about space availability but both had quoted rates of $550-575 monthly for a 30 amp hookup site that included sewer. Internet (no idea how good) was an additional $20 and of course electricity is metered. With poor rv insulation that could add up if you were running a/c.

That's about $600 before power, so it's about on par with a studio apartment around here without first/last months deposits and background/credit checks.

Now that's assuming there is space and they would accept a non-rv vehicle. Some parks won't.

I thought permitting and price issues with stationary RV living was the bigger question. As such, RV living on private land and difficulties are as much part of the question as RV Parks. Especially in the area I usually travel. (the Pac NW)

One web site (https://keyw.com/is-it-legal-for-fa...state/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral) says:

The question is: Is it legal to live in a trailer year-round in Washington State?
In short. The answer is NO. The rule in WA is that you cannot stay in an RV park for more than 180 days in a licensed vehicle in the same spot.

Can you live in a trailer or RV on your own land? Yes. You can live in your trailer on your land. However, You'll need to follow some guidelines.
  1. Contact your county building office to determine permit requirements (if any)
  2. Check with public health to determine if a septic and/or well is needed
  3. Consider getting an address assigned to your lot
An RV can be a permanent residence for tax purposes or to claim residency in many states. The IRS considers any structure as a possible primary (or secondary) residence if it has sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities. For other purposes, you can get an address assigned to your RV property like any other home.

So, at least in this area, answering the question must include private land/RV.

As said before, in many areas you are limited to a few weeks or months even on your own land.

When I stayed in Colorado City CO on my own tax sale lots, the limit was 4 weeks every 6 months. That was Pueblo County.

I was hoping to live in my TT but thus could not. Course that was in the early 80's.

One of the reasons I moved on from my "bought at tax sale" lots was that the next year the water/sewer district was going to require a $3,500 tap/access fee for each parcel. I had 8...:oops:
I just read the Nov 22, 2022 Colorado City Metro District minutes and saw that they were about to raise the tap fee from the current $16,000 up to $20,000 per parcel. o_Oo_O
Have fun homesteaders...

As said before, in many areas you are limited to a few weeks or months even on your own land.

When I stayed in Colorado City CO on my own tax sale lots, the limit was 4 weeks every 6 months. That was Pueblo County.

I was hoping to live in my TT but thus could not. Course that was in the early 80's.

One of the reasons I moved on from my "bought at tax sale" lots was that the next year the water/sewer district was going to require a $3,500 tap/access fee for each parcel. I had 8...:oops:
I just read the Nov 22, 2022 Colorado City Metro District minutes and saw that they were about to raise the tap fee from the current $16,000 up to $20,000 per parcel. o_Oo_O
Have fun homesteaders...
WOW! I wonder how much of that is because of Colorado River drying up - and maybe associated watershed? Or is it just NIMBY residents wanting to discourage just what we might be wanting to do? Water, or lack thereof, is what I would be most concerned about in the SW desert areas. I understand Phoenix is already stopping any new construction.