Planning Stages: Lots of design ideas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyonu

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Last night my ladyfriend and I decided that at the end of next year, we are going to finally hit the road full time. I am a certified computer tech (A+ and MCSA), so finding temp work shouldn't be *too* hard, but I have other skills relating to nutrition, pet care, yard work, etc.

She is going to Masseuse school later this year, and should be done mid next year. That gives us half a year to save and buy an Extended high Top (prefer Mega top) Sprinter, and build it out. Below I have some Design ideas I would like to go over with the pros and see what you think. These are all done in Excel, and I have standardized the coloring across all designs.

Note the BROWN line going around the entire side of the van--that is an extra inch NOT INCLUDING the panels already on the van. There is 71" cargo space inside a Sprinter, and I am utilizing 69" as livable due to an extra inch on the edges (probably for sound deadening and extra insulation.)

The images are pretty big, so I have linked them at the bottom of the page. You can open them up and then zoom in for a much larger diagram. Lets go over the images in order:

1.) This is my latest and possibly favorite design. It encompasses all the amenities I may need, and it partitions the "bridge" from the rest of the unit. I particularly like this design because I'm 6'4, and the shower in the middle gives me the maximum standing space.

The toilet pushes under the upper wardrobe for more shower room, and the shower head detaches and is a sprayer (like a garden hose) that you can turn on and off to save water.

Underneath the shower head, there's a pull-out bench with legs that can be used to sit on during a shower or otherwise. Once that bench is pulled up, you have a kitty-box (yes, we plan on bringing a cat) that will be pulled out when the bathroom is not in use. Keeping it here is ideal, as when the cat leaves the box, the littler particles land on the shower floor (which will have a custom draining system) which will be washed away with the shower water, and won't (hopefully) enter the main living area.

It contains front and back sliding doors to help insulate and sound deaden. The garage is just big enough to house a scooter or mountain bikes width wise for travel outside of the van.

The bed has a pull-up bottom side which extends it to 3'5", *just* big enough for two people our size (pretty thin). The backing to the bed has pull-down ends to which you can use as a side table, yet has plenty of cushion for anyone sitting there.

The orange counter tops provide ample space for work-top, counter-top and storage space. It has a TV mounted to the wall just above the desk-space, which is separated (by a low-wall) from the kitchenette. There is a raising partition (like a banker counter) just before the garage to make use of more space.

The electric system will be stored underneath the bed, which will lift up from the front. There is a lot of space under there, and I intend to use it all. To balance all the weight that will be on that side, the water tanks will be on the other side of the van (underneath, obviously).

The other design has this same general information, so less description below.

2.) This is the second-to-last design I created. It allows for two passengers in the back seat, which I recently decided I wouldn't need. If I do, they can sit in the living area of another design. It has a smaller garage to allow more space, much less wardrobe space (which I may need more!) and smaller counter space. It also doesn't allow the use for a cat, so I may decide against this design. It is a bit smaller at 144" length wise. THE PIC SAYS 185 BUT IT IS 144. Each square in Excel is 1 inch.

I will be using a lot of cheaper materials for the woodworking, like newer pallets I find behind stores (that are being trashed, of course) and discounted wood at Lowes or Home Depot. I plan on using a "white-board paint" on the walls (the office I work in uses this, and it makes it water-resistant and it gleams!)

Using a lot of low-watt LED lights with (possibly) a timer/sensor for power savings. I will be using strip lighting to line the underside of cabinets and overside as well, so it gets an even glow all the way around.

I got a lot of inspiration from Mercedes' new camper van concept they showed last year, shown in image 3. I love the lighting system they used, and will try to mimic it as best as possible, and I love the white entirely.

I am unsure as to whether or not I want a 3500 or 2500, but I think Mega Top roofs come in 3500 flavor only, so I think I will get that one... If I can ever find a mega roof for sale. :dodgy: Also I need a 2007 year or later so I can add in the secondary Alternator, and make sure the alternator's are pushing out 400 amps combined. I plan to have at least 400ah 12v in battery power (probably four 400ah 3v batteries, or four 100ah 12v batteries, whichever is cheaper), and complementing with solar and wind generators.

So there it is. My current plans for living in a van at the end of 2015. I am hoping by then they will have better Solar capable panels to help trickle charge my batteries, but if not, oh well. I'd rather use the engine to charge the batteries with the secondary alternator, as I will be travelling a LOT, and don't plan on using more than 45% battery power at any given time.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Questions?

And yes, I think Excel is a GREAT tool for creating floor plans! (I also plan on lining the ceiling edges with shelving!)

Attachments

• VanPaint2.png
    VanPaint2.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 56
  • VanPaint.png
    VanPaint.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 45
  • MB Sprinter Concept 2.jpg
    MB Sprinter Concept 2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 72
Seats on the side like that tend to not be very comfortable. Look at the back rest on the mercedes example. It's almost vertical, which is very uncomfortable. This was one of the problems I had with my class b, the couch was not very easy to sit on for long periods.

It compounds the issue with the natural body line curve inwards of the side of the van, which means your head is against the wall.

David said:
Seats on the side like that tend to not be very comfortable. Look at the back rest on the mercedes example. It's almost vertical, which is very uncomfortable. This was one of the problems I had with my class b, the couch was not very easy to sit on for long periods.

It compounds the issue with the natural body line curve inwards of the side of the van, which means your head is against the wall.

I did take that in account when adding the back-cushion. I did the math, and 6 inches appears to be enough space (actually it's more like 6.5" the way I want to make it) to allow your back to be straight. Worst comes to worst, I add even more room to accomodate--I have about 3 or 4 more inches to work with before hitting the counter top in case I need to move it forward.

EDIT: The reason why it's on the side, though, is because it's also the bed, and being 6'4, I cannot lie width-wise like I want to. I'd have to buy a widened Sprinter for that, but those are ridiculously expensive.

Wouldn't it be easier from a plumbing standpoint to have all things that need water: washer, kitchen sink, bathroom/shower in one area and just run one line split to the different areas, then in 3 different spots and drain in 3 spots?

I think you may be right--Technically, I can just move the shower portion of the van to the back, so the partition is between the garage and the living space instead of the driving area and the living space. That should put all the pipes close to each other. Good idea!

Those are very, very ambitious plans! I'm looking forward to seeing how they work out for you in real life.
Bob

Greetings!

There are a couple of things that concern me...

I think your width dimension may be off, yes I read the specs, but I have also measured them myself. While there might be a spot as wide as their claims, as memory serves, the interior usable width was much narrower. 64" seems to ring a bell, but don't count on that, just go measure one yourself to be absolutely sure. I have heard that some of the very new models might be a little wider than earlier ones.

Putting your bed up and down every day is going to be a huge headache.

I saw a garage model sprinter that looked comfortable for 2, pic below.

The bathroom opened up to include the aisle way for showering.

The main difference I would make, would be to replace the rear 2 captains chairs with removable, plush Euro style swivel rocker recliners. (they use ottomans instead of built in footrests, just toss the ottomans)

You would then have plush comfy seating for two, but equally as important, one could be in bed while another is up and about, and you wouldn't have to remake the bed every night.

I had a young lady that traveled with me for a while, and she preferred to lounge in bed while reading or on her laptop. This floorplan could accommodate that.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

PS: It also had a giant windshield size TV that flipped down from above...

PPS: Your washer/dryer might fit under the bed, facing the aisle..

Attachments

• sprinter2.jpg
    sprinter2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 31
akrvbob said:
Those are very, very ambitious plans! I'm looking forward to seeing how they work out for you in real life.
Bob

Thanks! They are very ambitious. But there are two things I love in life: Nature and Electronics. A combination is an abomination, but I will make it work. I think the electricity will be the most ambitious out of all of it, as I am an amateur, but you have very, very knowledgeable people on the forum who know about it, and I'm learning a lot.

I have a friend journeyman electrician who can assist if need be.

I plan on having a specific budget in the end game, AFTER I buy the van, but it will be a high budget. Since I have a partner in crime on this, we plan on saving a lot by the middle of next year. We both have decent salaries, well above "barely living", but our funds will drain horribly when we buy the van! I will be looking forward to all the future cheap living this forum provides!

@CamperVan Man:

I was actually looking at this specification list which is pretty accurate:

G015%20and%20G115%20and%20G615%20Layout%20Guide.jpg

I understand that it shrinks going upward, but that's the reason why I put 6" between the wall and the actual rest, so that it is accommodated. Near the top, it's 62.5 inches, but my head won't even be going that high, so it will be around 65-68 inches at the top of my head, which is around the 6-7 inches leeway I have given. Shouldn't be TOO shabby.

As for the bed, I understand that we would need a lounge. I am actually working on another design atm that will work with the bed and adding a lounge area. I decided that I would like to be able to use the front with part of the design for just the instance you stated--someone wants to sleep while the other is up and about.

Okay, so I made a few changes to the design based on the feedback. Here's what I changed:

1. Location of all water-using facilities. They are all now centralized, and having the water tanks on that side of the van makes the plumbing very simple.

2. The Bathroom and Wardrobe have swapped sides. Bathroom is also bigger.

3. Garage is now smaller, but longer, to still encompass two bikes or a single small scooter (I'm thinking Electric bike--that "Rubbee" device looks pretty cool!)

4. The couch is now about 8 inches from the wall instead of 6. Instead of being a fold-out type couch-bed, you now remove the back cushion of the couch and place it between the cabinets and the bed to make it a total of 4 feet.

---a. I don't think I want to make it an "always down" bed with two people living there. It takes up a lot of space that can otherwise be used, and I *really* want a garage, for my type of work specifically, and also for stealth factor when we need it.

5. Widened the middle hallway to 22" instead of 20".

6. Toilet pushes underneath the area next to the sink (similarly to my last design), and above that will be a washing unit. Not sure if I want to tempt a RV washing unit (since I'm looking at a 2000w Generator) or a Spin unit. Maybe a spin unit and I push the generator down to 1000w to save cash? Dunno yet. Still has fold down bench seat in bathroom to make showers easy if needed.

7. Catbox is now going to be underneath the generator quiet box (or above it), and the garage floor will be hard-floor, so it can still easily be cleaned. Notice the "kitty doors" at the generator wall and the garage door, so there's plenty of maneuver room to make sure her paws are clean before it re enters the living area. Will be able to pull kitty box out like a drawer for cleaning.

8. Added a "lounge" area as it did seem very enticing. I measured standard sprinter seats, and with swivel seats they don't take much more room. Was able to add 17" table in the middle, and will fold-out on both sides to make the table bigger in case it's needed. Added small counter space by the driver seat to store misc items, and possible be used as a control panel. Otherwise, control panel will be above the bed. (Note the front of the van is added with appropriate length. 185" is still only measuring the cargo area.)

9. Bed has two fold-down tables, one on either side, to accommodate more table space when seated.

10. Sink and stove top are now bigger and placed strategically to the fold-out counter for corner-cooking kitchenette. I found this to be the most usable space available, and far enough to keep it from the TV.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• VanPaint3.png
    VanPaint3.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 18