Looking for ideas on a table

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony's Dream

Reaction score
I recently remolded my van, removing the storage cabinet for something more functional. My old design was deeper and protruded out too far and didn't maximize the the total van space. My new cabinet has 3 shelves versus 1 and is thinner which allows for a small "hallway" space which I love. My problem is that the new design gives me less counter space for cooking. On the right side of the cabinet you will see a white pop up table that was installed under the old cabinet and served as my table. I reinstalled it on the end and it fits my cook stove perfectly and I can open the door to allow cooking fumes to escape. The problem is I have no work space for my plate and cooking utinsels to set. Does anyone have any idea on how I can install another pop up table to some type of removable table to create a work sapce?

Attachments

• Inked20230221_202256.jpg
    Inked20230221_202256.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
What about a swivel table instead of a pop-up? It looks like you have clearance for one to rotate under the left drawer when you don’t need it, and then out into the work area when you do. I have one in my van, which I made pretty inexpensively based on a “DIY Lagun table” video on YouTube. I especially like that it doesn’t block anything else when it’s not in use.

I love your sink setup!

Here’s the video I followed, though I didn’t use such hefty pipe.

Last edited:
I would need a second photo or better yet two taken from different angles showing more of the white table location as well. I am good at designing but there is simply not enough visual clarity here.

yea the photo is a bit tough to see 'where ya might need this little pop up table'.......but one idea comes to mind. Make a narrow table top hinged to one of your blue drawers to fit. Pull down and ya got a flat surface to use. Hinge up against the blue drawers when not in use. Each of your blue drawers could incorporate a hinged flat top to come down to use if required? Now just guessing on checking that photo and maybe that can help to give you extra flat counter space?? :)

A simple solution came to mind this morning. They make seatback organizers that have fold down trays on them and often spaces to hold items in pockets. There are some for laptop/ office use, others for kids to use as snack and activities.
Keywords for your search: backseat or seatback tray organizer

The storage pockets would be handy for holding utensils, forks, spoons, scissors, pencils, phone and small power cords. No need to build anything although if you really wanted to you could custom make one.

My first thought was the DIY Lagun table idea. I also saw YouTube videos about them but there wasn't enough room since the bed sits higher then the shelves. The blue doors are quarter inch plywood and slide left and right, so not really able to raise and lower them. I thought about lowering the brown drawers and adding some space in between them and the blue shelves..... but not a lot of room since my water tank sits immeadiately below it. I used the pop-up idea since I had used it before and it worked. The pop up table is 12x13. The morning after I posted this, I thought about the idea of replacing the pop up table with a longer version.......like 13x22.??

Attachments

• 20230222_190820.jpg
    20230222_190820.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230222_190855.jpg
    20230222_190855.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • Inked20230221_202256.jpg
    Inked20230221_202256.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
Assuming you sit in that seat when cooking, you could double the shelf space with another shelf of the same size and a hinge. It would be on top of the main shelf if you didn't open it. You can have a couple supports slide out when it's opened to help support it

You'd need to make sure your shelf was secured strongly though. Maybe a detachable leg for the secondary shelf as well.

I hope that wasn't too hard to follow.

You can add a folding extension to the top you already have. There is a special hinge that can be used for that called a table flip hinge or sometimes called a butler tray hinge. They got used pretty often on old sewing machine cabinets that had lift up sewing machines hidden in them. When the machine was lowered that extension was folded back to create a desk top. When open it increased work space. The longer versions of the hinge are self supporting for the extension.

You can add one without changing your current flip up support. But the hinges need a chiseled out recess, done by hand or with a router. You would have to check on the minimum thickness of wood for use with those hinges.

There is another choice too from the RV hardware options. Called RV table mount photo of parts shown below. It is a pair of aluminum extrusion which fit together as a support rail to suspend a table edge on a wall. Instead of attaching to a wall you could screw the supporting side to the edge of your dividing shelf for the upper and lower cabinet. Then hang a shelf there when needed and store it away when not needed,

Our world has a lot of special hardware parts out there for these situations.

Attachments

• 3CF5A800-B49E-4854-A261-46483707DD7B.jpeg
    3CF5A800-B49E-4854-A261-46483707DD7B.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Tony wrote:

I used the pop-up idea since I had used it before and it worked. The pop up table is 12x13. The morning after I posted this, I thought about the idea of replacing the pop up table with a longer version.......like 13x22.??

I think you are on the right track. If I were approaching it, I'd find some piano hinge to hinge an extension as in the attached sketch. The extension could be as long as you feel necessary. When folded down the extension would fold back over the top of the table and be held in place with a bungee cord. In the sketch I used an additional horizontal support that would extend out under the extended part of the table for better support.

But you could modify this to your liking.

Attachments

• Table Tony.jpg
    Table Tony.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1
Those hinge/brackets are pretty cheap on amazon and work great.
I'm mocking up a table mount that swivels from 1/2 pipe but trying to find a way to lock it in one place when using or storing.

^^^Drill an appropriate size hole in the mount the vertical pipe slides into and thread it for a star knob screw.

Thanks for your ideas. I will have to check out the hinges too........would allow for a longer table idea.

...I have no work space for my plate and cooking utinsels...how I can install another pop up table to some type of removable table to create a work sapce?
As I understand you, your request is for a work-zone for your plate and utinsels.
I think a 'removable' work-zone is just the ticket.
2003, prior to engineering our ExpeditionVehicle, we realized we rarely use a horizontal surface for anything other than a stuff collector.
Accordingly, we reduced our horizontal surfaces to two wire-rack shelves.
We have zero countertops or tables.
"But but but LM, how do you eat!"
Seating:
We have a pair of rectangular steel storage crates.
On a side, a couple-three folded towels provide a comfortable temporary seat.
Work-zone:
A folded towel on a lap provides a temporary work-zone for food prep and consumption.
[to illustrate the versatility of our PaddedCrateSystem®, I am writing this response while relaxing on a crate with a couple folded towels for padding]
Cooking:
While seated on one crate, a third crate -- bottom up -- is the perfect height for either an induction hot-plate or our ancient Coleman two-burner propane range.

The steel rectangular crate is engineered to hold six (6) one-gallon 'milk-style' jugs, so each easily supports a mere humble mortal such as me.
Each of our two crates we temporarily use for seating and fussing has a full-time primary purpose:
* one holds my collection of sandals
* one holds our collection of paper-towels and chocolate.
PS:
I like my sandals, our paper-towels are used hourly...
... but our chocolate needs to be instantly available in case of emergency.

If I ever get as round to building it I will custom make a Lagun type of table using the stainless steel marine hand rail fittings and tubes. All of those fittings come with threaded set screws built into them and as needed can be swapped out for star knobs for quick adjustments. Plus they also look very nice compared to using plumbing pipes. The Lagun table mounting components do not fit onto my cabinet’s face frames. But I still want a nicely finished look. Of course it will cost considerably more than plumbing parts to achieve that look.

I decieded to go with a larger pop up table. It gives me room to prepare my food, and later holds my stove and plate. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Attachments

• 20230226_191727.jpg
    20230226_191727.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
Adding a fold down leg is worth considering. That would be easy and inexpensive and not bulky. A piece of 1/2” x 2-1/2 will be just right. The wider hinge area and width of the wood piece makes it more stable than a 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 square post.