Philosophical vs Psychological

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim solo

Reaction score
I got into this thinking that this romantic idea that Nomadic life would be less complicated than societies norms. It has it's Philosophical outlook to a better life. The Psychological part is the tough area.
     I am a Damn Yankee that grew up in a city that had a population of 750,000 people at that time. At age 14, I moved to a small town in the south with a population of 2100 folks. That was a tremendous change for a kid. But I loved it. This area became my home up to the present day. This town has grown to near 5000 people.
     Now it feels like it is time to move on to new adventures. Life is an adventure isn't it ? I have thought that this was a truth. As I have gotten older, life has become a battle to survive in what we call society in today's world. Nomadic life appeals to me for this reason, ' if I could have been born 150 years ago '. I would have lived the life of this adventure, sooner.
    My RV is my covered wagon, in a sense. Right now my horses are Mel nourished from lack of feed, I'll need time to get my horses back to good heath. The financial burden as in (Mel nourished horses) is greater than I thought it would be. I will take care of my horses in do time. It will delay my adventure a bit, but I'll get there.
     I am not begging for help, I'll feed my own horses. This is a well formed community forum, with many knowledgeable people participating. Advice is why I am here and to help when I can. How many of you have gone through this faze of, Philosophical  vs  Psychological. Just a little thanks ahead of time for all the advice.

My late husband always said he was born a hundred years too late, was “an old guy, who liked the old ways”.

He and you would have lived in similar harness.

Good luck as you find a new path.

Life is the greatest adventure of all.

I too was born and raised near a large city with a population of almost two million (Detroit) before finally finding myself in rural communities.

I don't quite agree that it is a philosophically better way of life. That would really depend on how you define better. But it is an incredible opportunity.

The psychological impact is huge. You are not just changing shoes, you are (for the most part) changing your entire way of life. Your thinking will change. At first it can be incredibly exciting. When reality sets in you might feel lost. There are just as many challenges as living in a settlement. That is when you realize you are lacking two important things, knowledge and experience.

CRVL is a very large community. If you look at all the people registered you will find it is more than the little city where you live. I don't know for certain but I am guessing that there are decades if not centuries worth of knowledge and experience available when you need it. You are never alone unless you want to be alone.

When you get your "horses" tended come join us.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Meh, no philosophizing from me.

I simply want to travel. It's a big country, I want to see all of it, and van-dwelling is the most flexible and most interesting way to do that.

:)

Posted by lenny flank : I simply want to travel. It's a big country, I want to see all of it, and van-dwelling is the most flexible and most interesting way to do that.
I have seen most of the USA and parts of South Eastern Canada
from a truck seat. Now, I want to get out there and touch it.
Posted by geogentry : The psychological impact is huge. You are not just changing shoes, you are (for the most part) changing your entire way of life. Your thinking will change. At first it can be incredibly exciting. When reality sets in you might feel lost. There are just as many challenges as living in a settlement. That is when you realize you are lacking two important things, knowledge and experience
Very well put, everything you say in your paragraph I have felt from time to time.
The knowledge is what I seek, the experience has to be prepared for.

Posted by WanderingRose : He and you would have lived in similar harness.
Thank you, I'll take that as a complement.

My son had the same observation about truck driving. You can be in a lot of places in the country without ever being able to experience them.

I was born and raised in a large population center (San Francisco Bay Area) and as a young adult lived in the city. But after many years in that area, I moved to a small remote mountain community of about 1200 people, and lived there 13 years. Guess which place I consider my "hometown"...

"Driving THROUGH is not driving TO."
100% true.

A great man once said, "No matter where you go, there you are."
There are a lot of people who think abandoning running water and the grid will "fix them."
It may help set the stage for significant healing/change...but some expect this magic wand effect...few get it.
(Many mistakenly confuse YT videos for reality. When they begin comparing their journey to those supposedly "shared" on YT, they start with the comparison crap and the end result is more clicks and keeping up with the Joneses than anything else.)

I wonder if you took 50 people and paid them $500 to restrict Internet use to one stop @ wifi for 30 minutes a week...
Then you took another 50 people and gave them a free jetpack with unlimited data...which would be more at peace after 90 days on the road??
(My guess is...the former. Strongly.)
Anyone else??

One more thing...Jim, have you ever heard of this?
https://www.dhamma.org/en/index
^^^Link about Vipassana meditation.

my personality never 'fit in' but I made it do just that :)
to work and sock into savings so I could do for me down the road when older. I knew younger I wanted a diff. lifestyle so I knew then to prepare for it. I would tell other's my goals and I get the roll eyes, the 'you crazy' and all.

but in the end thru my whole life other than 'fitting in to make money and deal with a-holes in the system of 'norm' I am so ready to bust out and do my thing. I also did my own thing thru my working years but on my free time I 'did me' and gotta say I am happy how my life has gone down.

younger I could bob and weave and duck thru it all.....older I do want only my time as I see fit and I am gonna just that with no reservations attached. All my goals I did work for were all about me and hubby wanting what we want and we bobbed and weaved thru it all, now it will be our time to shine.

JD GUMBEE, meditation is a good use of time. I understand about the YT video's, they are opinionated
for the most part. I see the things They show on them, I look into the items and to see what would
work for me at a price I could handle. Usefulness is my key factor in buying anything for me. Good price
and quality are next. After having this RV for a year and down sizing the unnecessary items I own. I learned
being poor was not a bad thing. It was an education in life. I don't care about how much I have, I care
about it's value's into my life.

For years I used to run around with a thousand dollars in my wallet, if I seen some thing I bought it. I didn't
like that part of my life. I grew up poor and intend to die poor, I am satisfied with that. What those people
have on YT is their headache. Simplicity is what I'm after, and that incurs hard work, my middle name, I'm
good at that. I have had all the fun in life that's possible, just want to enjoy the rest of it.

The thing I will miss most about getting out there, is the very close friends I'll leave behind. That is the hardest
part of this whole thing.

jim solo said;
"The thing I will miss most about getting out there, is the very close friends I'll leave behind. That is the hardest 
part of this whole thing."

i would be in a position to return or maybe reconsider. as they say, and i have
experienced, you don't know what you have until it is gone...
jim

After a certain point it is too late to make old friends. But we may need them less, too. Older people tend to both withdraw into themselves, and be relatively content with it, and, on the other hand, do a sort of opposite thing -- reach out and volunteer to help strangers. Which could be something much more than they'd ever done for anybody else in their lives up to that point.

It's hard to judge what will work for anyone, including ourselves, until we walk a mile in their shoes or get to that point in our lives ourselves. Learning to live with people and without them are both very healthy things. And we may adjust our sense of what it really means to be part of something, to contribute, and to have good relationships over time. For some, relationships become less personal and in some way all about themselves, and more universal, as they begin to care more about the world. It's not always a downgrade, by far, for either the individual or their society.

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]   [font=Verdana, sans-serif]     I bought this Motor Home to fix up and use as a home I could go places in. As, I have found out, that it's not so easy. I did a lot of researching the subject over a years time or more. I watched all kinds of YouTube video's on the subject. Looked at as many websites and blogs that I could find to get an assessment of what it is like to be a Nomad. There are very few "Real Nomads" out there that I have seen in my research. [/font]
[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif]      Most of the the video's, websites and blogs. I looked at where people with money to have everything to make their life on the road as cushy as being in a S+B's home. They just traded one luxury for another [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]luxury[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] that they can drive or pull with them on a part time basis. They are not true Nomads. I would say they are just part time vacationers. They call it a "Nomadic Life Style", that's not being a true "Nomad" in reality. This style of living is to me, just another Rat Race to keep up with the Jones's. I don't need luxury, been there done that.[/font][/font]

Above is a quote from my blog. That about sums it up, as I have seen so far.
I was hoping to get out to the RTR this winter, but it looks like it is growing
into another "burning man" type gathering. A society with in a society. To big
for my tastes. I am sure that a lot of people go to the RTR to teach how to
be a Nomad, and are very helpful to everyone.

But, the carnival side of it turns me off. YouTuber's out to make money for
their Sponcers, Venders out to make a ton of money to take back to their
S+B's houses. Most of my life I have helped people, not to make a profit for
myself. Just the satisfaction that I did something to help someone.

True, there are many folks on this forum that are very,very helpful. I hope to
meet up with them some day before I have no days left. I am sorry if I offended
anyone on this forum. But, I have always had a problem with being dishonest, I
just don't have the genetics to be dishonest. That is why I get into a lot of
trouble. This post will get me into a lot of trouble, I'm sure of it.

^^^ To be fair, one does not have to take a vow of poverty to live as a nomad. We are not a monastic order.

This post will get me into a lot of trouble, I'm sure of it.
^^^ To be fair, one does not have to take a vow of poverty to live as a nomad. We are not a monastic order.
And it did. A society with in a society. I thought it would be different, guess I don't fit.

There are plenty on both spectrums here. I haven't figured out why a nomad has to be poor. My rig sure doesn't even come close to keeping up with the Joneses.

Very interesting thread. I can take something away from all of your posts. It definitely is about individuality. Both seeking it and expressing it while agreeing to disagree at times. A politician once said, "If you agree with me 7 out of 10 times...Great! If you agree with me 10 out of ten times, you need psychological help."

I'm confused. Jim, have started your nomadic journey or still preparing for it (with the horses and all)?

jim solo, heck no your post won't get ya into trouble :)

thing is for me, why do we have to LABEL every darn thing in life? Why are you not nomadic IF YOU DO one thing that doesn't hit the list of another's definition.....yea yea I know many things have a real definition behind them, but what does it truly matter if one travel's their own way and say they are nomadic cause when ya see the definition of a nomad, many travelers no matter how they are doing it, fit the bill...….

Nomad
a member of a people having no permanent abode, and who travel from place to place to find fresh pasture for their livestock.

synonyms:
itinerant · traveler · migrant · wanderer · wayfarer · roamer · rover · gypsy · Bedouin · transient · drifter · vagabond · vagrant · tramp · refugee · displaced person · DP · [more]

a person who does not stay long in the same place; a wanderer

I guess most of us can't be on the van dweller website cause we live in things other than vans. Class B, tents, Class C, motorhomes, rvs and some in their cars. :) :)

Nothing wrong with bunching a few of us different travelers together cause we have the same mindset in a way....freedom from the something we don't want in life and travel to find our own fit thru it all. Why put everything in this world into a box and have to label it? Labeling is annoying to me anymore LOL

There aren’t any vendors at rtr. I wish there were at least some food vendors

What do you mean “real nomad”. Sounds like your idea of a nomad is a hobo. Not the same thing.

There are nomads in million dollar rigs

Nitrox : Said . I'm confused. Jim, have started your nomadic journey or still preparing for it (with the horses and all)?
I'm in the process, getting ready. Horses = piggy bank.
Cammalu : said.    What do you mean “real nomad”. Sounds like your idea of a nomad is a hobo. Not the same thing.
I am not implying a nomad is a Hobo, I've been called a Hobo many times, I'm not offended.
RoamerRV428 : Nothing wrong with bunching a few of us different travelers together cause we have the same mindset in a way....freedom from the something we don't want in life and travel to find our own fit thru it all. Why put everything in this world into a box and have to label it? Labeling is annoying to me anymore LOL 
I guess most of us can't be on the van dweller website cause we live in things other than vans. Class B, tents, Class C, motorhomes, rvs and some in their cars.
I never suggested that, RoamerRV428
I guess I'm wondering what label I fit under, if any. I fit every definition of a nomad since I was 8 years old, been on my own that long. Looks like I have been a nomad longer that I thought. I'm just trying to figure out my way here.

Nomad
a member of a people having no permanent abode, and who travel from place to place to find fresh pasture for their livestock.

synonyms:
itinerant · traveler · migrant · wanderer · wayfarer · roamer · rover · gypsy · Bedouin · transient · drifter · vagabond · vagrant · tramp · refugee · displaced person · DP · [more]

a person who does not stay long in the same place; a wanderer
I'm not sure what (itinerant or Bedouin) is, will have to look them up. But, I do fit those other 'labels'