Pet First Aid

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
So I just got a publication listing local adult ed night classes.

Found the following class.

PET FIRST AID, CPR & DISASTER PREPAREDNESS

This course is ideal for all pet owners and pet caregivers.  This unique course covers common health and safety related issues for dogs, cats, first aid basics, CPR, choking maneuvers for pets, when to seek professional care and disaster planning steps for your pet.  you practice your skills on furry life-like manikins.  course completion results in a certification card valid for 3 years from the Emergency Care and Safety Institute.  this very popular course fills up quickly call and register early.

It's a 3 1/2 hour course and it costs $55

The website http://www.ecsinstitute.org/ has a course finder function that allows you to search for any of their courses by zip code, so some of you might find this same course where you are.

I see they also offer teacher training courses for all the courses they offer.  I've no idea what they charge for that, but if you got certified to teach this, you might be able to make a few bucks as an instructor if you stayed in one area for any length of time, say camp hosting or such. 

Regards
John

Looks interesting. The way I read it, that course is on online, maybe I'm wrong.
Now, for my distrust of the system, what if you intervene with someone else's dog and they say you did something wrong and caused harm?
Where is the fellow who is a lawyer here, he goes by numbers and I don't remember numbers? If someone remembers, will you send this thread to him for me?
This does look like it could be worth getting certified to teach it.
Diane

Not sure if the Good Samaratin Law applys to our furry family members.In the case of humans in general you are covered.The alternative to doing nothing is death.

The Good Samaritan law applies here. As long as you aren't doing something stupendously negligent like using the full weight of your body with your foot to apply CPR to a Pomeranian, you will be fine. Of course, you can be sued for anything, and that will cost you some money, but you will be legally safe.

I once knew someone who claimed that in America the 2 best positions to be in is filthy rich and the other position of being poor. I'd say a third is being highly mobile and therefore very difficult to pin down with a lawsuit. All 3 are basically "judgment proof" and I'd be willing to bet there are no lawyers that would bother trying to squeeze blood from a stone or chasing highly mobile targets for years on end. They tend to go after low hanging fruit.

In any case if you ever find one chasing you just keep moving every 6 months or so and tell them if they ever can pin you down you'll keep filing for change of venue. They hate that because it makes it impossible to actually make a profit that is if they can even make a profit off such a small matter in their eyes of course.

I bought the book Where There is No Vet. I hope to have some time soon to sit and read it. My kids are usually right on top of me most of the time so they usually don't have a chance to get into too much trouble. They are quick little buggers though so you just never know. :)

Dog CPR with video

I think everyone should know how to do this for a person, and for a dog.    BTW if you can think at the time, turning the dog on his right side will put his heart up closer to you (it's on his left, like "ours") and will better the compressions.

And when dealing with a drowning, the major cause is fluid/water filling the lungs and no room for air... help quickly drain that water...and also expect the dog to vomit with cpr .... just like a person does.

Latest posts