Last Day ---> First day

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RvNaut

Reaction score
Today is the last day of the first of my life,  and tomorrow will be the first day of the new path in life.

61 years I have made my way, but all that comes to end today
Tomorrow starts a whole new dream, a new start, a new scheme
Sell it all and hit road, buy and RV forget the toad
I motor around and see what I see, I'll hook up a moped and ride like I'm free

I can't help the poetry thing,.. it just happens.. Hi.. My name is Jason, and I am a nomad.... There are things about ourselves that if we are ... what is the right word(s)  .. not lucky... so much as fortunate to discover about ourselves as we make our way down the paths of life.  I have learned that my gregarious nature is to  some degree a cover for my introverted self, that my developed way to survive as a child carried well into my adult life of pleasing people to be accepted. So a thing I have learned about myself is that I really like my solitude,  I also prefer to live simply. This house I live in is too much.. why do I have a house? Why do I have a yard? Why do people mow lawns? What do people see in keeping up with the Jone's?

Over the past month I have been researching... reading.. lurking here.. lurking over there ( you know, those other RV folk) ... asking a few questions where I can't find answers, watching hours of Yt videos including those  from Bob and Carolyn.... the more I research, the more I have come to conclude that my new path is to sell everything that won't fit in an RV, including the house (which partially funds the RV=juggling) and go full time on the road. Tomorrow starts the new life... although there is much to do betwixt now and when I hop to hit the road in Late Nov/Early Dec.

..and yes.. I have... thought this out very well. I have considered all the points of warning about this decision, but I am not unprepared or inexperienced. I qualify myself as having the skills to do this by way of having taken multiple multi-week motorcycle camping trips, living out of a tent and a single pot.... life in an RV will be magnificently luxurious in comparison.. you try packing a bike for 3+ weeks on the road with everything you need!!... of course much will have to go away in the culling, because it either has to go with or it has to just go.. so the selling process has already started...

I am aiming for a 25' Class with a small CC MC or moped on the back. Specifically a Fleetwood Flair 25 from 1995 up to as new as I can wrangle, which will depend on the end result of the conversation next week with my Realtor as to what my home can demand on what is a hot market here in Maine. As a minimum I expect to spend up to $14k on a used rig, with the expectation of having to pour another few thousand in almost immediately for tires. suspension/fridge/ac/Alternator/generator, etc etc etc etc then there is the list of "must haves" for hitting the road, from the GPS to water hoses...

Planning.. I love to plan.. it is not that I am all that anal and controlling, I just like to know the variables up front. I don't need to plan every minute or day or week even, but I do like to do my research of what to expect... that way I can be relaxed... :D So the last few weeks have been filled with constant learning about everything related to RV lore. I had my Motorcycle completely stripped down and mod' before my trips, so mechanical issues do not scare me, and that is likely a dang good thing!

I have applications out to a few choice NPs in hopes of landing a temp Vol position in the system .. it is my hope to spend 3 to 6 months a year in that capacity in order to stretch the budget and be able to stow SS fund away for that rainy day, or more likely transmission, and spend the other 6-9 exploring...

One of my skills is being a computer geek, so  I also plan to barter my services to others.....

I have put together a plan and budget. I won't impose it upon you here, but if anyone would care to give me feed back I would send it off in a PM.

I have learned much from the community already and the plan is to do pay back as I can.

Always have a home base, even if you don't.
Always have an exact destination in mind, even if you don't.
Weigh the damn thing and shed if you can.
Never have fruits and veggies when crossing borders.
Bring a dog.
Have a plan for... every eventuality.. crimes, threats, popo, security, contacts, mail, medicines, repairs, mods...

So.. yesterday I started listing my stuff local for sale.. I have a massive record collection that will be digitized and then sold off. parts and pieces of SAAB stuff.. home stereo and appliances.. just endless amounts of stuff.. I have put aside a tote for items that are destined to be in the RV.. like my Hatchet and flashlights.. etc etc  so as I cull through my crap, I will have the place to send saves...

so yeah... flip the switch and turn it on!

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you for the welcome

.... this is.. the last spot to land before it all kicks off.. I find myself already far ahead of others in my position for having spent th last months researching and figuring things out.. one of which is that this will be my kind of community.. and while there is nothing wrong with other communities, as such, we all live on different levels of .. existence... .. you will see me posting more... and I look forward to someday meeting many of you.

I hope to be able to toss my Computer experience into the ring Bob has created as one way of giving back and will reach out once I get on the road...

cheers..

Welcome to the CRVL Forum :)

It sounds like you have given respectable thought to this. Congratulations on pursuing your dream with such vigor and commitment.

Just an idea to suggest that may help in your planning, keep a log or Blog starting now. Below, in the "Share Your Story" section, there is an area called "Captains' Log" where you could do that here if you like. Others who would come here after you may benefit from reading your log.

I would also mention the two links below that may be of some help and insights. The bottom one is a portal of planning info with a links section that can be used for pre planning or revising one's plans once out on the road. The information can help to avoid just reacting when unforseen issues arise and use it to be proactive in dealing with those matters.

Good luck, and all the best !

Thank you for the links and the welcome!

Yes.. much reading... and watching of video.. I think I could pass the quiz!!   :idea:

Now then, as to the Blog... I am ahead of you there as well... nyuk nyuk... I have intended to document my travels.. and to do so with video and YouTube... I already have two channels for personal stuff, but this will be more of a intended production, intended for public consumption. To this end I recorded the First Video the other day... but.. well.. one must have a name for ones channel.. and so I recorded it not knowing when it would be ready for you and the rest of the world, but as I imported the video that night, and I had been pondering the name thing for days, it hit me.. as I knew it would... as I say in the vid, one cannot push these things, if you let them be , the right idea will come of it's own accord..... so you, be virtue of a good heart and a chatty sole, get to be the first person ( if you get to this message before anyone else I guess.. :p ) to see my debut video.. .. yea me!... lol  

Welcome to the premiere video.. Step One of...  ( drum roll, please!) RvNaut - Exploring North America

RvNaut - Exploring North America - Premeire Video - You decided to do WHAT?!?!?!

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/IAReAHH71Lg[/video]

Do you have money set aside for vet care? Do you have someone who will take the dog should anything happen to you? Everyone seems to travel with a dog then you hear terrible things happen and the dog is at the mercy of whatever. My last dog cost me $9,000. Had to cash out a small retirement account and take a loss. This current one so far $13,000 but she is my elderly mother’s dog so I take care of her and she pays for the vet care required which seems endless. I strongly feel once you become an animal guardian you are responsible for that animal just like a person. It’s not a toy.