Nomad maintenance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluedogz

Reaction score
So, for all those folks that more or less LIVE on the road...

Do you do your own vehicle maintenance? Oil changes and such?
Where do you draw the line on what you do on the road versus hire it done?

I do oil n filter change & simple routine stuff, etc.

Older vehicles one can still be a backyard mechanic but the newer ones now ya gotta practically be an electrical engineer with a 2000$ diagnostic setup just to figure out what’s what.

Way it is…….

It is absolutely 100% prohibited by written regulations on Federal lands such as the National Forest, the Bureau of Land Management, all National Parks and I am fairly sure all the State Public lands as well to do Oil changes or any other vehicle work which involves chemicals or other fluids including brake work, antifreeze, etc. So get that idea right out of your head. You know how to read and look at websites. Go to the BLM and NFS websites and start reading through the rules and regulations. It is YOUR personal responsibility to do that. No one here in this forum should need to have to educate you on the rules of behavior for camping or visiting federal, state, county or city properties. Those regulations are already written out for you by the agencies. If you are in doubt what they mean pick up the phone and call them!
Now you have your “homework assignment”. Get busy and go to those websites and start reading.

Last edited:
It is absolutely 100% prohibited by written regulations on Federal lands such as the National Forest, the Bureau of Land Management, all National Parks and I am fairly sure all the State Public lands as well to do Oil changes or any other vehicle work which involves chemicals or other fluids including brake work, antifreeze, etc. So get that idea right out of your head. You know how to read and look at websites. Go to the BLM and NFS websites and start reading through the rules and regulations. It is YOUR personal responsibility to do that. No one here in this forum should need to have to educate you on the rules of behavior for camping or visiting federal, state, county or city properties. Those regulations are already written out for you by the agencies. If you are in doubt what they mean pick up the phone and call them!
Now you have your “homework assignment”. Get busy and go to those websites and start reading.
OP doesnt reference BLM or NFS or any geographical position what so ever; but simply asks a harmless question as to a persons preference for vehicle maintenance.

Where does this fyi tongue lashing on geographic based property ownership “rules” come from?😂

OP: while post #3 is “technically correct” it doesn’t respond at all to your inquiry……

While living on the road or wherever there are all kinds of places for do it yourself oil changes and simple routine vehicle maintence; etc. if one chooses too. I do it all the time. There are recycle used motor oil, etc places EVERYWHERE as well as places for other helpful vehicle conditions.

I will agree with no 3 on 1 thing: do your homework - it’s easy to find places where free style vehicle living is ok. 🤙

INTJohn

Last edited:
Go to the BLM and NFS websites and start reading through the rules and regulations. It is YOUR personal responsibility to do that. No one here in this forum should need to have to educate you

If people followed that advice, then discussion forums would be lonely places ...

Smart people get their advice from multiple sources. Everybody has the right to make their own choices about when to include forums in that mix.

I seem to remember someone on this forum instructing others quite emphatically that nobody could know the whole story behind someone else's post and therefore everybody should limit themselves to answering what was asked and not volunteer any other type of information ... Between these two extremes (staying silent on anything that wasn't asked, and dumping on someone about something that wasn't asked) there's usually a more rational and helpful middle option. The keyword being "helpful". Which I think is actually in the "rules and regulations" (or at least general guidelines, since we're not a government agency ;)) for how to post on this forum.

OP I have no practical input on your question but there are some real mechanical whizzes on this forum so I hope you get your answers. Good luck!

I have seen way too many people doing oil changes on BLM and NFS land. Actually one was too many and after that one person did it others at that group campsite went to town, bought supplies and also started doing it. I can and will continue to speak up even if it offends people to see it firmly stated that rules need to be read from the sources that make the rules for the public properties they will be staying on.

What I do not want to see is people getting in trouble because someone in a forum implied to a “newbie” it was OK to do that because they had done it. Or even have them see it being done and then think it must be OK.

Last edited: