First Aid for Pets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gardenias

Reaction score
It was spa day for my cat. :heart:
Although I consider myself very careful, I must have clipped a nail too close to the quick (one of my fears!) since I noticed blood spotting on her spa towel as I was brushing her. :(
Then I realized that despite having a first aid book for pets (cats & dogs) for years, I hadn't really looked at it!
According to this book, I mixed a tablespoon of epsom salts (magnesium sulfate, MgSO4) in a cup of distilled water, then placed her paw in it a few times.
When I did a search for "first aid pets" on this site, nothing came up... :huh:
So, another thing has been added to my to do list in preparation for nomadic living.
This may be a useful topic at the RTR if it isn't already on the agenda. :idea:

Unfortunately, that happened to my cat already. At that time, our veterinarian said that one should press the paw in soap - that is a well-tried home remedy. That actually stops the bleeding! Then I washed and disinfected the paw (Betaisodona).

Gardenias said:
It was spa day for my cat. :heart:
Although I consider myself very careful, I must have clipped a nail too close to the quick (one of my fears!) since I noticed blood spotting on her spa towel as I was brushing her. :(
Then I realized that despite having a first aid book for pets (cats & dogs) for years, I hadn't really looked at it!
According to this book, I mixed a tablespoon of epsom salts (magnesium sulfate, MgSO4) in a cup of distilled water, then placed her paw in it a few times.
When I did a search for "first aid pets" on this site, nothing came up... :huh:
So, another thing has been added to my to do list in preparation for nomadic living.
This may be a useful topic at the RTR if it isn't already on the agenda. :idea:

I heard in a pinch you can dip the claw in flour.

I'm no Vet . I learned when you clip the nails , you do a little at a time for about a week. When you clip, look close to see any pink in the nail and if you see pink , you wait a few days , look again, and if there is no pink , then you might try clipping again. I've been doing this with my little dog now for a long time , and it seems to work.
This was a good topic to bring up : I am first starting out on the road and have been learning first aide and have training in some first aide . Now , I will read more about animal first aide , so thanks for the topic. Hope your kitty is doing well . I just lost my cat from old age. He was 17, and a wonderful buddie .

You're welcome 1st Chippewa!
I feel glad that the topic prompted you to read more about it.
Now I'm reminded to get back on track with taking the first aid courses.
Thanks to the previous members that responded with links and tips!
The two cats that I'm close to are getting up in years, and not quite sure how I'm going to manage if I were to lose them.

I've been a cook for the last 20 years and I don't know how I haven't heard of a styptic pencil before, but definitely going into my first aid kit and love that the Red Cross has an app for pet first aid. Soon to be traveling with two kitty cat kittos in tow and working on building their/our emergency first aid kit, appreciate the recommendations. Any other pet first aid kit must haves?