These are a few of my favorite dog items for the road!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdventurousAdriana

Reaction score
Hi there!  I’ve created a list of my favorite dog products (though they might be useful for other non-human companions) that I always have with me on the road: 

Emergency leash:  This is an AMAZING gadget.  It’s the size of a quarter and attaches to the collar of the dog.  It’s a retractable leash made of Kevlar that is strong enough to pull a car (aka no dog can break this with pulling alone).  The first reason I like it is that my dog is always wearing a leash that I can use in an emergency.  The second reason I like it is because it seemingly gets you around the pesky leash laws.  According to their website: bottom line...No leash = a ticket: grabbing your dog's collar that has no leash attached won't prevent you from receiving a ticket.  If you see an officer and grab your dog's collar to maintain control, you are still in violation of the leash law, but if your dog's collar has an emergency leash on it, and you grab the collar, even if you don't deploy the emergency leash's cord, you are in compliance with the law because you are maintaining control of your dog with a properly attached leash.  The last reason I like it is that it is a built in lost pet reuniting service.  You register your unique tag with a profile of your pet that people can easily look up if they find your lost pet.

Dermachlor Flush Plus (Antiseptic/1st Aid):  My dog is super rambunctious when it comes to play times.  He often gets little nicks, cuts, and minor abrasions from playing rough and tumble and with no abandon.  I’ll treat these minor injuries with this dog-safe disinfectant and numbing liquid that contains bitrex, which is a bitter substance that discourages licking (which is great because my dog is also an obsessive licker).  I just apply some every every morning and inspect the injury to make sure it’s healing properly.  It’s always worked for me!

Bear bell:  I often like to hike with my dog off-leash.  With a bear bell attached to his collar, I can always hear where my dog is (even if he dashes into a bush or just rounds the bend right ahead of me).  It also lets other critters know that he’s approaching and gives them time to run away before he sees them. ?
Collapsible silicone water dish & bottle of water:  I use an Xbowl by Sea to Summit but you can probably find an off brand that is much cheaper.  It’s easily packable for hikes, trips to the dog park, etc

Mushers Secret (paw protection wax):  I love this product because it protects the paws of my best friend.  It works in both cold and hot environments (though I’ve only used it for cold, icy + snowy weather).  I slather it on before going on a hike and wipe what is left off before coming back inside.  It leaves his paws and my hands nicely moisturized and protected.  I will also apply some of this stuff to his paws if I notice they are very dry and it has helped wonderfully.

Evolution Undercoat Rake (Brush):  I have a double coated breed so he often picks up sticks, burrs, foxtails, and stickers in his coat when he goes out.  He also needs regular brushing to keep his undercoat from matting.  I’ve found this awesome brush with rotating pins that worse SO very well at removing pesky foreign  objects and dense undercoat fur.  I use the brush to remove stickers as soon as we come in from a hike or 1x a week and it keeps his coat in great condition.

Carabiners:  I use these to clip the end of his leash to various things like a fence, tie out, my backpack hip belt when hiking, etc…

Rug, foam, or folding ground pad:  I like to spend time outdoors in very cold weather (often with snow) so if I’m sitting around a campfire or backpacking, my pup needs something he can lay on to insulate him from the cold ground.  I have a couple of items I’ve used for this- a rug, or piece of insulating , roll up foam that I toss on the ground.

Small blanket:  I like to bring a small square fleece blanket with me that I can use in conjunction with the ground pad to keep him warm.  I just toss it over him when he’s curled up next to me on the ground pad.

Favorite toy:  because playtime is important.  I know fetch is an important part of our daily exercise routine. ?

Extra long rope or paracord: I use this to make a long tie out where he can wander pretty freely on a long line.  I’ll attach it to a tree, bearbox, picnic table, or post of some sort.

DIY coat spray: I mix water, a bit of coconut oil, and lavender essential oil together in a spray bottle to create an awesome smelling, non-toxic dog deodorizer and coat conditioner.  I love how it keeps his long coat nourished and he smells GREAT.  

I hope this is helpful to yall... I know I ALWAYS keep these items nearby and they have helped me out quite a bit!
Much love,
Adriana

I just ordered two of the "emergency leashes"...these look really great -- ideal for dogs that are traveling a lot! Thanks for the tip.

Had not heard about the emergency leash -- thanks for sharing!

you have an Aussie, right? Have you weathered any encounters with the cholla cactus? I am so worried about that. my puppers have to smell/taste EVERYTHING, even on leash.

tav-2020 said:
Had not heard about the emergency leash -- thanks for sharing!

you have an Aussie, right? Have you weathered any encounters with the cholla cactus? I am so worried about that. my puppers have to smell/taste EVERYTHING, even on leash.

You are welcome!  I do have an Aussie. ^_^  We haven't camped out in cholla country yet and I am also worried about that (they call them "jumping" cholla for a reason)!  My pup has an extra fluffy coat and HATES to have stuff stuck in his coat (this is the reason why I keep that brush I recommended in his hiking backpack or near me at all times) it so desert environments with all their prickles and stickers are a challenge for us.  We've stuck to mountain hiking for now.