Hair washing method, minimal water useage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
Woke up on this cold Seattle morning and I wanted to wash my hair. I am at home base and there is a shower here but I have been meaning to experiment with a concept I had been thinking of for how to wash my hair without a lot of water usage or making a splashy mess indoors. The method proved to work as I had hoped and it is easy to do.

I keep my hair at what I would call a medium length, just below chin length but not down to my shoulders. 

For this shampoo method I use micro fiber washcloths. Some people hate the feel of micro fiber towels saying they feel like a cats tongue licking them with all those little coarse points. That is accurate and that is why they work so nicely for this method. Just like that tongue works so great for the cat that is cleaning its fur to remove dirt. Plus they hold onto the liquid you put on them making them really wet without being drippy. They also hold onto the dirt that was on your hair so that is what helps it get nice and clean with this low water useage method. 

In a half liter bottle  I fill it with water and added a small amount of shampoo and about a tablespoon of distilled vinegar. That will make enough solution for several shampoo sessions. The shampoo cuts the oils that are on dirty hair so that it comes clean and the vinegar does several things, it softens water so you need less soap and it is good for killing off fungus spores which are what cause dandruff, plus it has some antibacterial action.

I used 4 washcloths for this method. Washcloth #1 went into a small bowl so I could saturate it with the shampoo solution, good and wet but not dripping wet. Likely around a half cup or so of water but I did not measure how much. No water left in the bowl, it is all soaked into the cloth. Then I scrubbed my hair with that cloth for several minutes time being sure to scrub my scalp as well as the hair strands.

Washcloths # 2 and # 3 were saturated with plain water, once again quite wet but not slopping wet and drippy. Those are for "rinsing". So you scrub your head again for a couple of minutes with one then do it again with the second cloth. This was enough to get all the dirt and the shampoo substance removed from my hair.

The last washcloth #4 is used to dry my hair.

If you like you can follow up by applying a leave in conditioning product to your hair.

Next you can reuse those wet wash cloths in the same order, soapy one first, then rinse ones to take your sponge bath. They will still be wet enough for that second use but you will likely need one more to dry with as the hair drying cloth will be pretty damp having soaked up a lot of water off your hair.

They will dry out quickly if you hang them up. They can then go into my dirty laundry bag. But if it is too rainy outside to dry them I put them into a zip lock bag until I can hang them out to dry or launder them. 

It is easy to buy microfiber washcloths by the dozen from places such as Costco or from online sources such as Amazon or even from auto parts stores. They are not really expensive. They don't weigh much and don't require a lot of space to store them.

What I really want is a Sci-fi fantasy device I can use to instantly clean my body, clothes, living space, vehicle and any dirty place I might walk into. I don't like chores be it dishes, vacuuming, car washing, dog washing or washing my hair.

Maybe I should do that too...bonus points, I would never have to look in a mirror again!

Washing my hair has been the most challenging part of van life for me. I can't wait to try this today!

Getting old does have some benefits. As my scalp dries out and my hair thins, my bald spot grows I don't have to wash my hair as often. When I was young it took a long time with a blow dryer to get it dry now one small towel and I'm done. I guess the awful truth is that since my wife left I don't have some saying you need to wash your hair.

happyVanderer said:
Washing my hair has been the most challenging part of van life for me. I can't wait to try this today!
the tricky part is getting the right amount of shampoo in the solution mix. Too little and your hair stays dull looking, too much and it won't rinse clean. So don't give up on the first try if it does not come out as you wish. Just work on your formula of water +shampoo + vinegar. Too many shampoo and soap brands out there for me to give  an exact ratio. But if you come up with a brand specific ratio do post what worked for you. For instance a lot of people love Dr. Bonners and other eco brands.

I always overdo it when washing the hair, a total waste of water, but it's a must, what can we do. Until the Jetsons become reality, we're stuck trying various tricks.

I shave my head but have a goatee. I'm not into it looking all matted so regardless how I shower or bathe, I use shampoo on my facial hair. I have a cheap hand pump spray bottle from Dollar Tree. I fill it with clean water. Spray the hair down, rub in the shampoo, rinse it out with the spray bottle over my collapsible sink. Easy. Uses very little water. It wouldn't work very well for someone with really long hair but short hair? No problem

Tell amazon to show yall natural sponges. There called sea or wool sponges too . They carry a lot of water. I bought a.battery sprayer and I love it but used too much water for dry camping. I have a natural sponge so I started just using it . I took a good bath standing up with a half gallon. About. But I've been wondering about you girls washing your hair. I wish one of you would try it. Maki2 how much water did you use? I ordered some more sponges I'll pack them.

I did not measure but likely 1/4 to 1/2 cup for each wash cloth. Good and wet, saturated but not to the point where they dripped water.  The washcloths from different companies vary in size and also in the thickness of the fabric itself. So giving an exact measurement is not that useful. The state of saturation matters more than the exact measured quantity of liquid. It is not going to be as perfect of a wash/rinse job as standing in a running shower but it is certainly adequate to freshen up, pull out a lot of the oil and dirt between running water shampoos. A great alternative to dry shampoos.

Dry shampoos are useless for me with fine, long hair.  I will definitely experiment with sponge or microfiber methods though.

I would suspect that at least the first step of wetting and applying the shampoo with a cloth or sponge will work just fine but you might need to do a final rinse using a small pitcher of water because your hair is long.

I would be remiss if I didnt say more. I use an out door side the chair table from dollar general. 2 ft high
I bought a super insulated water cooler from WM. Keeps Ice it says for three days. That on top. Of table is right height. I'm too old go be bending over . All that is ok to get wet. Water lasts for a long time heated. It's a 5 gal so there's enough for two baths at least. Well for a man um waiting to hear from women.

I will definitely try this as soon as I buy some micro fiber washcloths. Thanks for the tip!