Who Have First Aid Kits?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compassrose

Reaction score
How are we all set up for first aid supplies?
Have you gone thru your medicines to check the expiration dates?
It is so much easier to have the stuff on hand than to desperately need medication and have to go find someplace (usually late at night or on a holiday or in a strange town, late at night on a holiday... been there, done that) to buy it from. It's also easier on my pockets to stock my first aid supplies a little at a time than to buy from the only open place in town.

I generally do a main restock and date check in late summer before the fall & winter cold & flu season starts up (the Wal-mart brand of Dayquil allows me to go to work while I am sick). Lists of what to include in a first aid kit, medicine cabinet or first aid drawer (you can put it in anything) can be found on the internet. We personalize these lists to include things that we personlly use and omit things that we would never use. Most of our basic first aid stuff comes from Dollar Tree. The "specialty" stuff I often get from Wal-Mart. I like to keep a box of the butterfly strips (from Walmart) along with a couple tiny tubes of crazy glue (dollar tree). I don't "do" doctors. I have cut myself badly and still fixed myself up with butterfly strips and crazy glue (the same thing a doctor would have done). I try to keep a bottle of saline for rinsing wounds (sold along side of the contact lense solution in many places) as well as the usual rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. I buy our bandaids (waterproof) from Dollar Tree. I also buy the ace type stretchy bandages from them as well (I use safety pins not the little clips that comes with the ace bandages). They are normally good only for a few uses and then the elastic gets stretched out of shape. But I use them to keep bandaids stuck to me when I sleep (bandaids really don't care to stick to me). They also make good coverings for gauze pads (or better yet "panty liners" cut to size) for larger scrapes and cuts. I no longer buy gauze pads as the panty liners/ultra thin sanitary pads work so much better. You can also buy a small box of cheap panty liners or pads at Dollar Tree. I also try to get the needed cold meds before I need them. Because I have discovered that I will take the needed meds if I have them on hand rather than making a special trip to get the stuff. ANTI-DIARRHEAL medications are very handy to have. While diarrhea is your body's way of getting rid of bad stuff, sometimes it's not very convenient. Especially while you are on the road with no bathroom in sight. I like the Loperamide medication as Pepto Bismol makes me nauseous. It works well enough to allow me to get home to my bathroom. A decent first aid book as well as a "home remedies" book is also a must have. Not normally considered "medicine" but I keep a 2 liter bottle of Gingerale tucked inthe back of the pantry. I love Gingerale but this one is my "sick" bottle. I figure if I've got an upset tummy or feel queesy, I will probably end up drinking the whole 2 liters (based on past experiences). Emetrol is also a very good medicine to keep on hand. It really works. I used this on my kids when they were little. I also keep olive oil on hand (I cook with it too). It is great for ear aches (warm until a drop on the inside of your wrist feels comfortably warm, drip into your ear and dip a bit of cotton ball in the oil and tuck into your ear to keep the oil in). Soothes all kinds of ear aches including ones from coughing or sneezing alot. After sun cream made for sunburns are also in my "kit". Early summer is the best time to buy that. For other skin problems including MILD sunburns I like to use coconut oil (which I also cook with).

If you don't have a well stocked first aid kit, I hope this helps you set one up Van or RV, we all need to be well stocked. Make a list of what you need and buy it a little at a time. Most of the stuff you can buy at Dollar Tree. Buy it now whilke you can shop for the best prices and it will save you time and hassle later.

Agree.
We don't use a bunch of BS toiletry stuff and junk, so our medicine cabinet is just that, and well stocked. Our prescriptions are issued for 6 months. My oxygen is for 12 months and I trade bottles at locations along the way using VA Travel. (had them delivered to truckstops, Walmarts, and a city park where we played for the day).

I think the bases are covered and hope most situations can be handled.
Just hope we never need any of it, but good to know we have it.

Thanks for the advice here, I hadn't thought of a first aid kit. And checking the dates very good idea! I recently got staff infection from old anti-bacterial ointment, very difficult to get rid of and medical bills were about $700!

I don't know if all Walmarts have them but the one near me has a huge bin of medical supplies near the registers for 88 cents. Ibuprofen and a generic Tylenol, band aids, antibiotic cream, anti-diarrheal and constipation products, fungal cream, cold medicines, and allergy remedies. I stocked my medicine cabinet and have tried several of these items with good results.

During the hot summers, we keep our anti-bacterial (Neomycin) in the refrigerator. Watch for that as some meds should not get hot.

$700! Eeek!

Our Wal-Mart tends to hide that stuff with the "travel" size junk. Which I have to search for as they move it every few months. I often forget they have the cheapies. Remember to shop around as Dollar Tree is not always the cheapest source. But I do like their waterproof bandages.

Don't forget to add a oral thermometer. If you get a digital one (easier to read when you feel bad), replace the batteries every so often just like you do with smoke detectors. I have had batteries die from freezing several times over night (it was before we got the insulation and heat in the bus). I wipe mine down after use with Jack Daniels or rum to sterilize it. Tastes better than bleach.

Anyone else got more tips to add?

I've got a couple kicking around (found in campers 'n such I've bought over the years) that are fairly comprehensive. To this I've added some QuikClot and various opiates/muscle relaxants (morphine,percs, t3's, cyclobenzeprene). might seem 'over the top', but I've been in situations where a heavy duty painkiller was needed. ..Willy.

I do. Picked mine up from the online REI Outlet part of their website. Got a real nice one at a greatly reduced price. It's backpackers first aid kit, so it squeezes a lot into a small space. Makes for easy storage in travel trailer/van/rv where space can be limited.

Forget the thermometer. If exposed to really high temps or really cold temps in a vehicle it is not accurate anymore. You'll never see a traveling crew, like ambulance workers use a thermometer. Sorry cooks, this also goes for the meat and candy thermometers.

QuickClot is a very good idea.
I used to carry Class 1 pain stuff when I was mountaineering, because I was so far away from help. But it expires so fast it gets expensive.
Also good idea to keep stuff in refrig, especially if your rig gets hot in the sun.
Also, good to have stuff for the pups too. - Spiff

SuperGlue. Don't leave home without it! (or go anywhere without it!)

Developed by the Army for use in emergency field dressings, this stuff works absolutely great for gooping up lacerations that would otherwise need stitches out in the bush.

I was working in my shop late one night, and ran a full-speed cutting disk straight up my left thumb. Clean through the nail, and up past the top knuckle joint...this bad-boy was OPEN for business!!! :p

After leaving a healthy trail of blood from my workbench over to the shelf, where I always keep acouple tubes of single use SuperGlue, I snipped one open and dribbled the stuff right down onto my laceration. It burned for a few seconds, but dried very quickly into a hard shell-like coating. There was acouple tiny spots that needed a second gooping of the stuff...but within 10 minutes, I was back to work! :D

It healed (this happened about 3-4 years ago) and left a groovy scar as a personal momento, but I never went to the hospital, and never had to deal with stitches!

SuperGlue single use tubes can be bought in 3 or 5 packs, and I now always have at least one in the glove compartments in my rigs, and in my toolbag on my m/c.

oh btw...SuperGlue also has many universal utilitarian uses throughout the home and workplace!

Good point Spaceman, we can't forget the pets. Dogs can take regular aspirin. Never ever Tylenol! Give one whole aspirin for a big dog, 1/2 or one baby aspirin for a small dog two times a day for pain. Benadryl (use the baby stuff for little guys) is a lifesaver for an allergic reaction, bug bite, etc. I have vet wrap which is like bandage on a roll that sticks to itself in both mine and the dogs kit. Perfect for a splint or to keep a dog from chewing on a sore. The stuff that cures yeast infections for women will also work on some doggy ear infections. Make sure to clean out the ear each time before putting in the cream as it will build up. If the ear is moist and smelly, it's likely yeast. Dry with black crumbly matter is probably ear mites. Hot spots are caused by moisture trapped under the coat and the best home cure is cornstarch. If the dog has really thick hair, you may need to clip the area so it can dry. Make sure anything used on a dog is safe if licked off.

Patrick46 said:
SuperGlue. Don't leave home without it! (or go anywhere without it!)

No side effects? Go outside and see if your can climb up the side of a building by just flat palming your hands against the wall.

Belinda2 said:
Sorry cooks, this also goes for the meat and candy thermometers.

We use food service thermometers for cooking and we recalibrate them before using or if they get dropped. It's something that ALL food service workers SHOULD know but don't. I also use the same method to check the digital thermometer twice a year after calibrating my food thermometer.

If you can get to mexico you can buy a 100 count bottle of 500 mg Amoxycillan (broad-spectrum anti-bacterial) for $5. I ALWAYS have a fresh bottle on hand with me.

They also sell a small vial of skin creme that has penicillin in it. The stuff is a miracle worker! If a cut starts to get red at all I put some on it on and the redness is gone within an hour. Great stuff and only costs $1
Bob

When wintering in Q or Yuma its a great time to scoot across to Algodones, Mexico to pick up lots of meds we can't get here. Some need prescriptions to bring back, but there's lots of good things that don't.
Good place for dental too.
Be sure to bring your passport or Can-Mex Card (N. America only, which is cheaper than full passport).

The other part of the equation is knowing what to do with all those things in your kit...how and when and why. First aid classes are easy to find just about everywhere and very beneficial.

Decodancer, perhaps you could start a thread on pet ailments and their solutions. If I remember correctly, you have a bit of a background here.
(my mind is like an old steel trap...rusty).

I'm never sure whose doing the typing but pretty sure it's not Bindi LOL. Whoever it is, your mind may be rusty but your memory is pretty darned good. I started grooming dogs way back in 1979. I've worked at kennels, breeding, showing, and spent five years in a veterinary hospital. I've also hand raised almost every kind of baby animals as well as numerous orphaned birds. I don't know if a pet care thread would be too popular but if anyone has questions, I can usually answer or refer to my vet tech best friend for a knowledgeable response.

Wow :exclamation: on the Superglue treatment.

There is a solution called "Dakin's Formula" or "Dakin's Solution" that was developed during WWI -- by doctors who needed a way to treat field injuries, in the age before antibiotics (antibiotics which have side effects you should be familiar with-- one of which is childhood depression -- and creates an imbalance in your digestive tract).

http://www.virginia.edu/uvaprint/HSC/pdf/09024.pdf
Dakin's Formula is just basically a mild bleach/water solution. However it has to be mild enough not to damage the new tissue growing in a wound. You pack a wound with this, change it once or twice a day, and it keeps a wound sterile while it heals. I did quite a bit of research a while back on this, and people who had diabetic ulcers which doctors had been unable to heal... had excellent healing with Dakin's. You can make your own, but it must be mild and there are different strengths for different degrees of healing.

I keep a bottle of Phazyme handy for whenever I eat a bad burrito. Phazyme really works for me to settle my stomache whenever I might have a tummy ache. That other stuff like Rolaids is nothing but candy. You can buy this at your local Walgreens pharmacy or here at Amazon link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Phazyme-Stren...e=UTF8&qid=1397662075&sr=8-1&keywords=phazyme

I bought most of my first aid supplies from the REI store. Since those items were all purchased recently within the past year, I don't have to worry about expiration. I like the individual packets which are convenient to store and use. Walgreens and CVS pharmacy are my main supplier of "drugs" and various first aid items. I also keep a healthy stash of allergy meds like Claritin.