Your ideal kit list for living in a small space on the move

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to sound rude, but it will sound rude.
Thermoelectric coolers aren't energy efficient and will use way more energy than a 12v compressor fridge/freezer.

They lower temps 30-40 degrees from ambient temperature at best. And the big thing is that by their nature, they constantly draw power.
Key diff without having to worry about sensitivity is that you stated TRUE FACT on the product. It ain't rude sounding at all IF THE facts are just that, real facts :) :) You got this good fact info, yea post it for sure, will help another in determining best purchase power for what they might require! You never have to worry on being rude against another post if your facts are all in and real truth on this one :) You set the record straight on a brand product, simple as that. Good post!

Assuming this is correct, why is it ‘rude’? I have limited power storage. This isn’t rude,nit’s helpful.
TE coolers use ~4x the energy for the same cooling as a decent compressor fridge, and can only cool ~32 F below the ambient temperature. Generally not suitable for offgrid use.

I like this topic as, I am faced with the same dauting task of getting rid of about 80% or more of the things I own. Just my tools I am keeping and taking with me for repairs on the road will take up a lot of room. (5 tool boxes and a full 18 gal. container of various tools) Then I have all of my gear like winter rated sleeping bags, hatchet, shovel, collapsing ladder to be able to clean the solar panels. My clothes including some good cold weather stuff. My shower (flat black spray painted garden sprayer) toilet (7 gal. bucket with seat) and things for my cat like his litter box, which is huge as he won't go in a smaller one. Anyway, the list goes on and on. Every time I find myself wishing I had more room, I quickly recall any number of Bob's videos where he is interviewing people living in a Prius, or a Honda, or some other really small vehicle and I am just thankful that I have what I have. It is just not easy for me as I have always been one of those people that save something because..."I might need this one day," and it adds up over the years.

^^^ there is always the option of towing a small travel trailer so you can your bed in it 🤣

^^^ there is always the option of towing a small travel trailer so you can your bed in it 🤣
Ha ha. No thanks. I will just keep getting rid of "stuff" I just hate to do it. I have 5 really nice guitars (2 electrics, a bass, and 2 acoustics and 2 amps.) I might take one of the acoustics with me...maybe. I have a nice set of electronic drums too, and a bunch of electronics gear like oscilloscopes, circuit boards, you name it. A really nice stereo system with 1980's vintage CV speakers that sound wonderful. The list just keeps going on and on. My apt. complex does not allow us to sell anything from here so I am not sure how I can sell this stuff except to some stores that resell things but, they will have to make some money so I will not get much. PS I forgot to mention I have 5 huge book shelves loaded with over 300 hard cover books. I donated about 200 books to my local library about 18 years ago but, they do not take books right now they said. I have already tossed about 100 of them into the dumpster and I hate to do that.

For books, you might check with organizations that help underprivileged, homeless, etc.

A lot of times reading material is needed and helps.

Heck, if you were closer my daughter and I would be interested in some for sure. We love reading.

Maybe a nomad book share. As people pass through your area they pick up a few to offer to other nomads.

There are decent ways to sell your other items. I'll have to get into that when I'm not running behind getting ready for the day lol.

Little things... so many little things can make vehicle life better.

Thick foam pad for kneeling.

Fly Strips

Mouse Traps

Ear plugs

Eye Mask for blocking light

I might take one of the acoustics with me...maybe.
Take the one you enjoy playing the most. There are plenty of small, low-cost amps out there, and with a decent pure-sine power supply with good hardware you shouldn't have much feedback. Hobotech's youtube channel does the "amp test" on the solar power stations they test (not an endorsement, but you can get an idea of what to look for).
I donated about 200 books to my local library about 18 years ago but, they do not take books right now they said.
Goodwill still takes books, at least they did 2 years ago. Worst case scenario you can gift them to a used bookshop for re-sale. I don't think they would turn down zero-cost inventory.

For books, you might check with organizations that help underprivileged, homeless, etc.

A lot of times reading material is needed and helps.

Heck, if you were closer my daughter and I would be interested in some for sure. We love reading.

Maybe a nomad book share. As people pass through your area they pick up a few to offer to other nomads.
Thanks for the suggestions. My main issue is I have to be rid of all of them before I leave at the end of July so not much time left considering all the other stuff I need to do before then. If I had time, I could sell them on amazon one book at a time as many of mine are first editions and I see them going for about $20-$30 each on amazon for the few I looked up. Just do not have the time. Donating them someplace is a great idea, have to look into that Tomorrow, I have to pull both axles from my van to replace the wheel bearings and seals. I have to open the differential to do that so I will be replacing the gear oil at the same time. I am getting close to completing the mechanicals on the van (hopefully) and then I can start on the inside build and solar install etc. I googled for places to list my items to sell locally but nothing decent showed up except FB marketplace which I can not use as I am not on FB and never will be. Plus, that is not free anyway. I also have a 1999 Toyota Camry CE with 120,000 miles I need to sell and a 50cc scooter too. Like I said, lots of stuff, ha ha. I appreciate your reply.

Take the one you enjoy playing the most. There are plenty of small, low-cost amps out there, and with a decent pure-sine power supply with good hardware you shouldn't have much feedback. Hobotech's youtube channel does the "amp test" on the solar power stations they test (not an endorsement, but you can get an idea of what to look for).

Goodwill still takes books, at least they did 2 years ago. Worst case scenario you can gift them to a used bookshop for re-sale. I don't think they would turn down zero-cost inventory.
Thanks. I like my Epiphone acoustic a lot but, I also really like my Chinese strat that I hotrodded with lots of good stuff and it plays great. (I even put a strat decal on the headstock and put 3 coats of polyurethane over it, just as a joke, not to try to pass it off as a real one) I had forgotten that I also have a 3rd amp that runs on batteries or ac. So my little Fender amp is ac, and I have 2 other smaller amps that both run on batteries, dc or ac. I am just going to have to make some tough choices like everyone else had to do. I will check into goodwill, thanks for the tip and your reply.

I donated about 200 books to my local library about 18 years ago but, they do not take books right now they said.
Many libraries still do -- I don't know if it varies by geographical area or just by individual library. Depending on how much effort you want to put into it -- I realize you don't have a ton of time -- it could be worth checking a couple of other nearby libraries (or googling "friends of the library," which is often the name of the org that actually sells them, + a few nearby locations).
... gift them to a used bookshop for re-sale. I don't think they would turn down zero-cost inventory.
Yeah, they could. They're businesses too -- they're not necessarily going to spend money on storage or disposal for product they can't move. I'm sure it varies case by case. I had to shrink my library ~10 years ago and I remember the buyer being very picky about what they'd take. (Also, if you go that route, do try to sell them first, don't feel you have to start by offering to gift them. You might get enough $ for, oh, a pizza:)

IIRC my process was (1) library book sale table, (2) used book store, (3) homeless shelter. Goodwill/Salvation Army seem like good bets too -- better bets, these days, than the ever-more-rare used bookstore.

Many libraries still do -- I don't know if it varies by geographical area or just by individual library. Depending on how much effort you want to put into it -- I realize you don't have a ton of time -- it could be worth checking a couple of other nearby libraries (or googling "friends of the library," which is often the name of the org that actually sells them, + a few nearby locations).

Yeah, they could. They're businesses too -- they're not necessarily going to spend money on storage or disposal for product they can't move. I'm sure it varies case by case. I had to shrink my library ~10 years ago and I remember the buyer being very picky about what they'd take. (Also, if you go that route, do try to sell them first, don't feel you have to start by offering to gift them. You might get enough $ for, oh, a pizza:)

IIRC my process was (1) library book sale table, (2) used book store, (3) homeless shelter. Goodwill/Salvation Army seem like good bets too -- better bets, these days, than the ever-more-rare used bookstore.
Thank you for your reply. I will check with the friends of the library as I know I have seen that group mentioned in my area. I am not really trying to make any money from these books I just want to see someone else enjoy them like I have over the years. I have books from back when I was learning to fly, books on many different subjects including history and science, and most of Tom Clancy's and Clive Cussler's novels in 1st editions hardcover. I did sell some once to a local bookseller that deals in used books but, they do pick through what you bring and only buy what they know will sell right away just like you said. They don't sell them for very much so they pay very little but yes, some pizza money would be great. I will call them to see what they might do. I have been listening to audiobooks for many years now which I like because I can be doing something else while listening, and have not bought any "analog" books in a long time so , I won't miss them, I just do not want to see them go to waste. Thanks again for your reply.

I tend to be an overshare person so I guess I phrased the initial post differently than I needed to to get the response I was hoping for. I was just hoping people would talk about what the ideal kit is for them - what are the brands/models you most like, what have you pared down to? Not because it would necessarily work for me, but because it's an interesting way to learn what things people value, what brands they find reliable, etc.
I value the things I use frequently, keep me comfortable, and that remind me of good times. Before starting out my process is to empty a room and pretend it's my van. Live in the room and bring things in as I need them for daily life or because I feel lost without them. After a few days that set of stuff is largely done. Then start envisioning emergency scenarios and what stuff or skills are needed to manage them. Hikers and bushcrafters say the more skills you develop the less stuff you need. As for brands, I generally go for durability, multi-use, and efficiency first. I can afford to put money last as a criteria, but by staying decluttered cost is also minimized. I'm a glutton for Youtubers filming their daily activities to see what they are actually using (and not what they are pushing :) Thrift stores for clothing and occasional other items that tend to wear out. I keep my home town library account open to use their great e-library services, and get lots of free materials from Bookbub, Gutenberg, and Internet Archive that I read on my old iPhone 6 and second hand Thinkpad laptop. Lots of clear plastic bags to organize contents of boxes and bags. Soft stuff like clothes in soft bags that can be squished into odd spaces. Oh, and I also use the Genius Scan app on my phone to digitize everything and store it in the cloud to avoid carrying paper. In the summer my most prized possession is my OPolar clamp-on fan. Runs for several days at low speed. My next experiment is a folding wood burning backpacking stove that burns twigs. Maybe no more little propane bottles!