Official Summer RTR Dates: June 16-26, 2016

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happydog said:
Thanks so much for the support! Yes I have picked up Max also when other dogs come around or I tell him to behave.  Cute dogs! I love it, they take over don't they? Boo Boo is black/white, Max is tan one.

Max

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Looks like I won't make it after all. Very disappointed. Got hit with a huge bill. I have to wait until January or next summer maybe. I have to get a van! Had one but not the kind suggested. Long story. Lol.
Thanks for the helpful information though.

Does anyone know the latest on fire restrictions in the area the RTR will be held?

I found a page on the Forest Service's Website about fire restrictions, but the notices are listed by district and I do not know in which of Coconino National Forest districts the RTR will be held: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/c...d=stelprdb5331631&width=full#FireRestrictions

I was going to buy some firewood to bring to the RTR once I am in Coconino County, but I'll skip it unless someone knows for sure that campfires are allowed.

Looking forward to see everyone!

Damian

Are there people out there right now? How many? I came out to Flagstaff today. I work in town Monday-Wednesday and the leave Wednesday evening (the 15th)

for those of us that can't make it out there w are going to need pics. lots of pics. highdesertranger

Regarding the camp Bob and others were at, the one across from the Kiabab Lake. Families from hell came and parked right next to me. Brought out dirt bikes, guns, loud music but the final straw was a cheap Genny they were apparently very proud of because they must have wanted the whole camp to notice its ability to run nonstop.

Jon pulled out his campsites.net app and told me to go one mile down the road and check out fr 71. It was a good thing, to be run out of the other camp. This camp is a score. I went back and collected a small tribe, Jon and his dog Bart, Julie and her cats , we packed up and moved on down the trail to another piece og paradise. Yes, im very happy. Poor Julie made an error and tore out her plumbing here. It is much smoother with less rock but I guess she snagged something. I haven't seen it yet. To do this camping, higher carriages are really necessary.

Bob, you will want to ck it out, it will be perfect for large groups, good internet, less road noise.

Dragonfly

PS, Ivy scored on a fine elk leg with a complete hoof. She has been in dog heaven. She took it out and buried it somewhere so Bart can't find it.

FALCON said:
Are there people out there right now? How many? I came out to Flagstaff today. I work in town Monday-Wednesday and the leave Wednesday evening (the 15th)

People aRe scattered here and there. Those who arrive to soon at the official rtr camp, may have to move before the summer rtr is over. 

Legally we may only camp 14 days at any spot. II don't wish to speak for Bob but I will say, he welcomes all to where he is camped. He isn't offering much other than comradery, the actual rtr is where there will be activities. I'm mentioning this because there has been confusion in the past when people have come before an rtr.

Ask here if you want to camp with bobs group or another until the rtr, someone will be sure to welcome you regardless of which group it is.

Diane cricket and ivy

I pulled in the same campsite to work on my van for awhile. Yes guns kids, bikes. I left and am camping just north of there. Just started thunderstorms. I am going to the RTR site tomorrow.
I am on my $5 month 3G wifi box now.

Damian Rolling said:
Does anyone know the latest on fire restrictions in the area the RTR will be held?

As I'm typing this I'm listening to a good rain and thunderstorm and I'm about 6 miles from where the RTR will be. That increases the chance the fire ban will be lifted but certainly does not gauarantte it.
Bob

On Tuesday the 14th I'll go over and pick the official site and we can all start gathering. It's only 10 days, so we can get there 2 early and stay 2 late without having to worry about the 14 day limit.

With the rains coming a little early, everyone must be aware that during an extended drenching rain, the side roads can easily become impassable. The clay turns to gumbo and not even 4x4 is sure to get you in and out. Always have food, water and supplies to be able to sit it out and go into town after it dries. For the most part, the main Forest Roads are packed down enough to be passable, but nearly all the side roads into and out of camp, and the campsite itself are very iffy.
Bob

Oh My Goshk....Heads Up RTR Flagstaff !
I just read an article about a hiker noticing a decline in groundhog numbers on a trail behind the Little America Hotel off I 40 in Flag.
The local health authorities investigated and found the cause was fleas infected with Bubonic Plague!!!!!
They are recommending everyone use plenty of bug spray , avoid rodent den areas and keep your pooch on a leash .
Please check this out with local authorities and be safe CRVLers. :angel:

akrvbob said:
 Always have food, water and supplies to be able to sit it out and go into town after it dries. For the most part, the main Forest Roads are packed down enough to be passable, but nearly all the side roads into and out of camp, and the campsite itself are very iffy.
Bob

Thanks for all the updates.  I have water but have a much larger container that I brought but didn't fill to improve gas mileage.  Is there a place to fill w/basic H20 tap in Flagstaff? 

On day #2 of 4 to Flagstaff.  

Hwy 22 in N. Alabama to N. Mississippi is a 3 lane rolling hill wonderfully gorgeous-scenery trip for several hours!  Nice :)

I40 between Memphis and Little Rock sucks!  (just venting thanks....only had 2 hrs sleep @ Atlanta Rest Stop.) 

About an hour to go before Little Rock.  Hope to crash at WWorld there or at Medical Ctr nearby.

The RTR will be at A-1 Mt road off exit 190 of I-40. To get free water go to Exit 185 instead and pull into the Pilot truck stop there. You'll see the McDonalds and it's drive through, across from it is an air compressor vending machine. Beside it is a city faucet with free water. Get water there, you can screw on your own hose.
Bob

Bob -
Are you going to do a YouTube vid ... or a Blog post here, with more detailed directions?  And update of road conditions?  Please. 
My van is BIG but only a V6 and no 4x4... lol... so I think I better see what the weather forecast is up there. 
I'd plan to be there for the first few days... but might delay if looks like latter half might be more dry. 
Take care! - Marty aka Day Drifter.

I don't know where it will be yet, I'll decide on Tuesday, June 14th--and yes, I'll do a blog post on the 15th. I was up there today and the road is fine, no one in a van would have any problem with it. They got more rain than I did where I'm camped but it was sunny today and it's all dried out--no issues with the road right now.
Bob

rvpopeye said:
Oh My Goshk....Heads Up RTR Flagstaff !
I just read an article about a hiker noticing a decline in groundhog numbers on a trail behind the Little America Hotel off I 40 in Flag.
The local health authorities investigated and found the cause was fleas infected with Bubonic Plague!!!!!
They are recommending everyone use plenty of bug spray , avoid rodent den areas and keep your pooch on a leash .
Please check this out with local authorities and be safe CRVLers. :angel:

Anybody who lives here Summer after Summer know this articles about the FLEAS IS PUBLISHED AND TALKED ABOUT EVERY YEAR.....For the last four years it has been in the paper for the last three....
It was already discussed on this forum last year and the year before....STOP THE FEAR MONGERING! It is getting old and tiresome.

The media just LOVES to create panic