Nomadic life and dealing with disabilities

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know many people on SSI, but those I do know - including my brother - used an attorney. Usually after several failed DIY tries.

Shouldn't be that way, I know - but that seems to be how it is. That, and a bit of luck.

Yes, the attorney will take part of the award. The usual tactic is to backdate the beginning of the disability onset so that most, if not all, of the attorney fee is paid for from the funds awarded from the backdate, so the recipient get the full check going forward..

There are attornies who specialize in this. Find your state agency that deals with disabilities, and keep asking until you find the right guy. I'd avoid the ones that advertise on public benches or billboards.

And Cajun, look into this for your daughter as well, if you haven't already. She needs her own income, although she probably needs a guardian to manage it for her.

You might want to follow debra dickinson's channel on youtube. She has traumatic brain injury, and is pretty open about what it means to have a disability and live on a disability income while being a nomad.

Cajunwolf said:
I don't mean to get all emotional and all. Still, I've watched this forum for some time now and decided to join because I want to travel with or near others who have disabilities and challenges like ours. Everybody works together for the benefit of all, sounds corny, doesn't it, but is it? Here's one of my concerns, and I'm throwing it out there because it's a real issue. I'm an old man, and my daughter, because her mother is blowing bubbles, and can't be there for her, needs the influence of women. My goodness, I have no idea how to shop for her underclothes? I have a few older ladies around here, getting fewer, that help out with such things, but I have to pay them. Being that I'm a mechanic, I'd be willing to fix whatever needed fixing on any woman, or couples, vehicle if they'ed help me with shopping for clothes for a 16-year old special needs and autistic daughter. Is there anybody out there who understands what I'm up against here? There is no such thing as a magic wand, believe me, I've looked!
I would be happy to help you but I live in Arkansas. I have an 18 year old daughter with special needs and autistic. Sensory issues are huge for these girls. No itchy labels or tags, nothing tight, soft and cool material and the list goes on. I am a part time nomad.

just to be clear SSDI is Social Security Disability. SSI is just your regular old Social Security for us old farts, no shyster needed I mean lawyer. highdesertranger

Divorce settlements are very complex things. There is no one correct solution for everyone. It takes an local attorney to understand the local court situation. Even in the same state two counties that are adjacent to each other can have very different economic situations regarding support and division of assets. One county could be far more favorable towards the woman others more so towards the man so local knowledge of where it would be best to file for a divorce can have quite a financial impact. When dependent children are involved it can be even more complicated.

It takes a competent local attorney who knows what is typical for settlements in that specific location to understand what tactics will give their client the best results. Don't just settle for the first attorney you interview if that individual sends up some red flag signals that don't sit at all well with your own personal ethics.

highdesertranger said:
just to be clear SSDI is Social Security Disability. SSI is just your regular old Social Security for us old farts, no shyster needed I mean lawyer. highdesertranger

Not quite HDR. You know I don’t know the acronym for regular old age social security but I do know that SSDI is when you’ve worked for many years and have enough credits that if you become disabled you can apply for disability. You paid in to that program like insurance. They would also receive Medicare the same as the old folks. You would still have to pay a monthly cost for Medicare and also all your medical isn’t paid for.

SSI is welfare. It given to those who are disabled but didn’t work or work long enough for benefits. They would qualify for Medicaid which would give them free medical and a host of other benefits.

Something seems wrong with this to me.

PS. By the way.. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Because you got the two mixed up that means you aren’t crippled, old, or on welfare!!!!

Cammalu said:
PS. By the way..  CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  Because you got the two mixed up that means you aren’t crippled, old, or on welfare!!!!

Or you used to know but dementia has kicked in.

smart asses. LOL

ok I always thought regular old Social Security was SSI for Social Security Insurance. what does SSI stand for then? never mind I looked it up it means Supplemental Security Income.

highdesertranger

the word supplemental means....hey folks don't expect it to be enough money to support a "normal" lifestyle on.

Cammalu said:
SSI is welfare. It given to those who are disabled but didn’t work or work long enough for benefits. They would qualify for Medicaid which would give them free medical and a host of other benefits.

Something seems wrong with this to me.

As I understand it, SSI is often given to those with permanent disabilities from birth or early in life, like cerebral palsy, physical deformity, pervasive developmental disorders, etc.

They do get a medical card, and that eligibility entitles them to other services the general public would have to pay for, but it is a bare bones existence and many require lifetime custodial care.

Yes Rose. Those people do get SSI in addition to the ones who didn’t work long enough to get SSDI.

I’m sure it’s a very meager existence.

Jacq. I’ve run into quite a few getting about half that. Not much of an existence but thanks to this lifestyle it’s possible to still have a fulfilling life. Bob did a good job showing them how it could be done.