New to vehicle dwelling. Uncertain about living out of a car but want to learn!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm GetterdoneGary, and I'm a 20-something-year-old tradesman!

I'm currently living with family, but it's pretty tough, and I want to move out West. I have enough money to start paying for rent on a place, but the idea of signing a 1-year lease on a place I'm not even sure I want to live in, can never own, in a place I'm not sure I want to live in, paying $1,000 a month or having to have roommates, doesn't really appeal to me! Me and roommates don't mix.

So I've considered moving out West to either Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or Colorado, and living out of my Hyundai Accent until I...I don't really know, honestly.

If I do this cardwelling thing, I don't really care to do it long-term unless I get a job working on the pipeline. Besides that, I'd rather either:

• Live out of a tent on BLM land
  • Join an intentional community or co-living situation
  • Eventually invest in buying or building some mobile home (like a camper, or something to go on the back of a truck)
  • Living in a bordertown or abroad in between work seasons or after establishing an online job
But I don't know! Maybe I will. It's just my car is extremely tiny, and the idea of not having a lot of privacy, having to live and sleep in parking lots, getting hassled by cops sounds really stressful to me, but so many people do it, and I've been in much worse situations before, so I'm sure I'll just...Get used to it, after awhile.

But that's my story. I'll look over the website and the YouTube videos for advice and information, but any input or suggestions would be welcomed!

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hey guys, I'm GetterdoneGary, and I'm a 20-something-year-old tradesman!

I'm currently living with family, but it's pretty tough, and I want to move out West. I have enough money to start paying for rent on a place, but the idea of signing a 1-year lease on a place I'm not even sure I want to live in, can never own, in a place I'm not sure I want to live in, paying $1,000 a month or having to have roommates, doesn't really appeal to me! Me and roommates don't mix.

So I've considered moving out West to either Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or Colorado, and living out of my Hyundai Accent until I...I don't really know, honestly.

If I do this cardwelling thing, I don't really care to do it long-term unless I get a job working on the pipeline. Besides that, I'd rather either:

• Live out of a tent on BLM land
  • Join an intentional community or co-living situation
  • Eventually invest in buying or building some mobile home (like a camper, or something to go on the back of a truck)
  • Living in a bordertown or abroad in between work seasons or after establishing an online job
But I don't know! Maybe I will. It's just my car is extremely tiny, and the idea of not having a lot of privacy, having to live and sleep in parking lots, getting hassled by cops sounds really stressful to me, but so many people do it, and I've been in much worse situations before, so I'm sure I'll just...Get used to it, after awhile.

But that's my story. I'll look over the website and the YouTube videos for advice and information, but any input or suggestions would be welcomed!T

You may want to study these:
https://www.thelastamericanvagabond.com/https://aowanders.com/my-travel-life-beginnings-homeless-to-travel-blogger/I've been in AZ since 1965; the rent's gone sky high way above your $1K threshold; same in NM CO TX. However, there is a huge need for workers in TX. San Antonio is a good start. A good strategy: Buy an old 400 sq. ft. mobile, refurbish it yourself; or buy an old pull along trailer for space when you move. That is an excellent 'old school' time tested strategy. [1] Pay off all debts, including plastic card debt. [2} Save, save, save. Do not buy that cup of coffee at Starbucks. [3] Add a side job, any job, to add to your savings. It could be doing lawn work, assisting elderly, etc. [4] Find seasonal work with potential for year round employment. This is possible with resorts and national parks: CoolWorks.com/ If you have a trailer/van of your own, that would save money instead of living in a dorm with roommate, and being charged. A great job is driving vans, tour buses for resorts and cruise lines. [You can often get training and license at the company hiring you!] There are many, many jobs not filled because people have given up. So what's wrong with making $10, $11, $12.....etc? Where I live grocery stores are crying for help, post office, UPS, etc. etc. Maybe you are in a city not offering too many options? In San Antonio there is a grocery chain called HEB for H.E. Butt, legendary for getting high schoolers jobs, and paying for their college. Legendary.

Depending on the trade(s) you follow and the vehicle you have, you could put together something that would serve you on both fronts of living and work. If you had a pickup truck and found a trailer made from the bed of a wrecked pickup truck you may find a slide in camper and set something up like this below. Thus you would have a pickup & trailer to use in your work so you could be more of an asset to your employer. These slide in's have legs that crank down and lift the camper up just a bit so you could pull out from under it when you find a camping place that you would like to stay in. Then you can go to work with a trailer to use if you would need. If you were a pipeline welder you could carry a welding machine in the back of your truck.

Just a thought here.

Pickup_trailer_Camper.jpg

I suggest packing up some stuff and living out of your car for a week. You may find it ok, and then know what tweaks you need to make to your setup. You may find it totally unpalatable, and then you can look at other options.

There is trauma associated with moving into a vehicle. Don't be misled by YouTube videos glamorizing the life. Living in a vehicle, especially a car, is a drastic change in lifestyle and requires major adjustment. Everything takes longer, everything is more of a hassle. From doing laundry to preparing a meal to bathing.

In terms of full timing, travel trailers are going to be the most bang for your buck and require the least lifestyle adjustment. But, depending on your location, finding a place to park it can be difficult/expensive. Still, even if you have to pay lot rent, you always have the option of relocating. Specific to you, your current car may not be a suitable tow vehicle.

If you're willing/able to buy a pickup truck as your everyday vehicle, a truck camper is a step down in space compared to a towable, in exchange for more agility and flexibility. Except for taking into account height, it can be driven around town. Its also easier to find a place to set down the camper than towables.

A true Class B van will have the amenities you're used to a home, but in a much smaller package. But they are the most expensive type of RV, even used. If you can afford it, this might be worth considering, A DIY van build can be a lot cheaper, but keep in mind, the amount of inconvenience is a function of the vehicle. Can you stand up in it? Does it have a comfortable bed? Does it have hot running water? Does it have suitable heat and AC? Does it have a microwave? Does it have a shower? Specific to you, as a tradesman, you may have the skills to build a very comfortable camper van.

Class Cs are often overlooked. But they can be bought fairly cheaply. Especially if you're not intimidated by one that needs work. They have all the amenities, obviously less flexible than a van, but more agile than towables. If you ride a motorcycle, it eliminates the hassle of having (or not having) a tow vehicle.

Take into account that I may be twice your age, so we're at different stages in life. Here's my approach. The vehicle I was driving was getting long in tooth and needed to be replaced. Instead of getting another luxury SUV, I decided to get a van and do a basic buildout. It is my daily driver. I am not a full timer, but I travel a lot for extended periods of time. What I like about my van is the flexibility it gives me: every time I leave the house, I can be gone for a few hours or a few months. Everything I need is with me all the time.

After thinking about this for the time it took me to write this post, here's my advice to you. Keep your options open. Get a vehicle that you can travel and live out of it you want, but also one that you can use if you decide to stay put somewhere. If you get a job on the pipeline, you could live in it or get an apartment. Ditto if you want to live in a border town. A utilitarian vehicle would make you popular in an intentional community. I think the best vehicle for you is a van. Even if you have to make payments. Make sure the loan is affordable so you're not forced to work 40 hours/week just to pay for it. Worse case scenario, if you live in it for a bit, you can take the money you would have spent on rent and probably pay it off in less than 2 years.

Good Luck!

It's just my car is extremely tiny, and the idea of not having a lot of privacy, having to live and sleep in parking lots, getting hassled by cops sounds really stressful to me, but so many people do it, and I've been in much worse situations before, so I'm sure I'll just...Get used to it, after awhile.
Thinking about selling everything and living in my pickup in the wilderness, was stressful. Actually doing it... I was in ecstasy... freedom! I did not need to work most of that time, because I'd saved up money and spent little. Camped on public land mostly, far from humans.

I'd highly recommend getting a decent reliable rig and saving up money first. Not working at all you should be able to live on ~$6k/yr in your vehicle, and be comfortable... but you have to pay attention to stuff you blow $$$ on and quit doing it. Gratuitous driving is one thing that sucks up a lot of money.

It's a horrible time to buy a vehicle, but you gotta do it if you need one. I've recently been looking for a friend, and the most reasonable deals seemed to be on older Toyota Sequoias (I'm partial to Toyotas), if you care about going offroad. Other SUVs could work also. Minivans have no ground clearance... some can be lifted though, but still they aren't very rugged. You don't need something you can stand in, but being able to sit up comfortably is a must! You can cut the roof off those and make a high-top as well. You don't need a refrigerator, heater, shower, toilet, etc. You want a good place to sleep, and a place to sit comfortably. Solar and batteries are a must for me... mostly to power a laptop.

I don't know what trades you have. When I started working again I got a job at Bryce Canyon for the season, as a dining room host. That didn't pay very well! But I got a job as waiter after a few months and did that again the next season. I highly recommend seasonal work. I made enough there in 7 months to last me about 4 years not working... and that includes having to pay to rent a room while I worked there. You do not want a MW job in those places, though! You need to be getting tips or doing something else that pays well.

The nice thing about summer seasonal work is that you can always camp where the climate is good. Go to the southern AZ or CA desert or Baja for the winter. That makes this sort of life so nice, I think. BTW, I don't consider most of Texas "the west" at all. Only the SW corner IMO.

There were some cop hassles. When you descend to the bottom of the socio-economic ladder you are profiled, harassed, and searched. This was new to me and kinda shocking. The first time was the worst... the cop was in a really bad mood I guess and manhandled me for absolutely zero reason, and I was a hairs breadth from taking him down. It was so close! Scared the crap out of me. That ended up ok... I was so mellow and cooperative, that he eventually felt bad about being a dick, and said I could park there as long as I wanted (I was in an abandoned RE development at the time).

I'm not saying that to scare you, but prepare you. Some cops are absolutely fantastic people, and others aren't. Be kind and mellow with both. Do not have drugs or anything else illegal, keep your record clean, and you should not have any real trouble with them.

I'll quit rambling now.... Good Luck! Anything you wish to know, just ask.

I don't have as much experience as most others responding to your question. I went full-time just over four months ago. But I have set up a website to document my approach, my attempts and my failures in crafting a life on the road. I live out of a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee hauling a tiny utility trailer. So far, it's working well for my needs, but I'm constantly learning, rethinking, experimenting. I recently posted a piece on the blog outlining my process for vehicle selection. It may help you, I don't know.
www.jeepliving.xyz

Good luck!

I suggest packing up some stuff and living out of your car for a week. You may find it ok, and then know what tweaks you need to make to your setup.
As afblangley said, test runs are the key to success. I spent about two years planning, dreaming, planning. On my first trip out, a 3 week test run, I realized within days that it all sucked. I brought along stuff I didn't need and found out what I really needed.

@JeepLiving Well I was considering trading my car in for a Jeep Wrangler or Jeep Cherokee or something so I know for a fact I can go off-road if need be, which would most likely save me a lot of trouble out West. Plus I don't know if I want to live out of my tiny car but if I can put a mattress in the back of a wrangler or cherokee, that would be great.

Mostly I just want something that I can at least put a mattress in the back of so I don't have to change out of my dirty work clothes WHILE in the same seat I'm planning on sleeping in.

@rruff mentioned Baja. God I miss Baja. Best place on earth I've ever been to besides Colorado. Great weather, breathtaking vistas, and wonderful food, some very kind people (as well as a lot of bad ones), and the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my entire mofo life.

What do you mean it's possible to live there in the winter? You mean out of your vehicle? Won't you get hassled by the cops or possibly bandits? Or is that another myth?

As far as vehicles go, I'm going to try and either get a van, or a Jeep of some kind, even if I have to get a new one. A Jeep Cherokee looks so spacious on the inside, it almost doesn't seem too different from a cargo van to me, and might be better for off-road, but I've always wanted a Jeep Wrangler, and I know I can take the top off it and use it kinda like a truck if need be.

I'm not driving an RV though. Just no. It's too big and ugly to me, and it also seems like more maintenance and things I have to worry about. I'd rather just get used to living out of a truck or SUV or van, and maybe bring a camper or tent along.

What do you mean it's possible to live there in the winter? You mean out of your vehicle? Won't you get hassled by the cops or possibly bandits? Or is that another myth?
Gobs of gringos go down there in the winter and camp on the beach. It's become pretty popular. In general the cops are ok and the crime isn't bad.

You mentioned TJ... I never went there. Sea of Cortez side is best in winter, down to Loreto. It's a bit populated further south.

Ya, I like the "keep it simple" method. I never missed modern conveniences... was actually happy to be rid of them. Whatever vehicle you get, reliability is very important I think.

Then a good SUV should be just fine.

It's hard not to want to rush off back down there, but I understand that I'm not just moving out West, I'm partaking in a new way of life and must prepare for it.

Someone mentioned that parts of NM and AZ are okay during the summer, I'll happily leave for there in the summer and then head to Baja or Southern AZ in the fall or winter. Summer is just roughly 3-4 months afterall, right?

As a bonus, one thing I was considering if I decide that the vehicle-dwelling thing isn't for me, was finding work with NASSCO or even just Amazon and just living in Tecate or Ensenada close to some old friends, and working in SD. Maybe live out of my vehicle during work weeks and return to my apartment or house on the weekends or days off.

As someone who has lived in Baja from Summer to Winter, the weather seems great year-round, to me. I think that's a move worth putting off making the leap out West for 3-6 months for. Just gotta have patience.

As a bonus, one thing I was considering if I decide that the vehicle-dwelling thing isn't for me, was finding work with NASSCO...
My niece married a former sailor there in SD who worked at NASSCO. He was from Dyersburg.

Oh wow that's pretty much where most or half of my mother's family is. Small world, as they always say...That phrase annoys me for some reason but it felt necessary.

Well if he can do it so can I. I mean, I kind of have in the past, just not with a vehicle.

The way I see it, despite how impatient I'm getting, I need to lock down at least a good SUV before heading west, and I can move to AZ or NM any time of the year due to the difference in elevations, and I can return to Baja any time of the year because, Baja is just that nice and that worth it. Plus apartments cost less there.

Idk maybe instead of rushing out West I should get a good SUV, save up at least $6,000, and then just, take my time and explore the West on my way back to Baja and just, stop wherever feels like home if I find such a place before getting there.

If I can just get past the friggin weather here in TN, I could probably start living the nomadic life right here and do test runs like what someone said. It's only gonna get worse with tornado season, though. Maybe that would be the time to bolt. Or stay and make sure my family is safe.

Last edited:
"It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it" Steven Wright

TJ has nice weather all year. The other side on the Sea of Cortez gets very hot in summer.

TJ also has the highest murder rate in the world. o_O

One thing about weather patterns, most of AZ and NM get the majority of their rain in summer (cycles around from the Gulf). So even though the temperatures in the mountains are fine then, it will be somewhat wet. This is more pronounced in the south and lessens as you go north and west. CA, NV, UT, ID, OR, and WA are quite dry in summer. They have the opposite pattern with more winter rain.

TJ's not bad. It wasn't great, either. But it was fun. Not like that.

Thinking about selling everything and living in my pickup in the wilderness, was stressful. Actually doing it... I was in ecstasy... freedom! I did not need to work most of that time, because I'd saved up money and spent little. Camped on public land mostly, far from humans.

I'd highly recommend getting a decent reliable rig and saving up money first. Not working at all you should be able to live on ~$6k/yr in your vehicle, and be comfortable... but you have to pay attention to stuff you blow $$$ on and quit doing it. Gratuitous driving is one thing that sucks up a lot of money.

It's a horrible time to buy a vehicle, but you gotta do it if you need one. I've recently been looking for a friend, and the most reasonable deals seemed to be on older Toyota Sequoias (I'm partial to Toyotas), if you care about going offroad. Other SUVs could work also. Minivans have no ground clearance... some can be lifted though, but still they aren't very rugged. You don't need something you can stand in, but being able to sit up comfortably is a must! You can cut the roof off those and make a high-top as well. You don't need a refrigerator, heater, shower, toilet, etc. You want a good place to sleep, and a place to sit comfortably. Solar and batteries are a must for me... mostly to power a laptop.

I don't know what trades you have. When I started working again I got a job at Bryce Canyon for the season, as a dining room host. That didn't pay very well! But I got a job as waiter after a few months and did that again the next season. I highly recommend seasonal work. I made enough there in 7 months to last me about 4 years not working... and that includes having to pay to rent a room while I worked there. You do not want a MW job in those places, though! You need to be getting tips or doing something else that pays well.

The nice thing about summer seasonal work is that you can always camp where the climate is good. Go to the southern AZ or CA desert or Baja for the winter. That makes this sort of life so nice, I think. BTW, I don't consider most of Texas "the west" at all. Only the SW corner IMO.

There were some cop hassles. When you descend to the bottom of the socio-economic ladder you are profiled, harassed, and searched. This was new to me and kinda shocking. The first time was the worst... the cop was in a really bad mood I guess and manhandled me for absolutely zero reason, and I was a hairs breadth from taking him down. It was so close! Scared the crap out of me. That ended up ok... I was so mellow and cooperative, that he eventually felt bad about being a dick, and said I could park there as long as I wanted (I was in an abandoned RE development at the time).

I'm not saying that to scare you, but prepare you. Some cops are absolutely fantastic people, and others aren't. Be kind and mellow with both. Do not have drugs or anything else illegal, keep your record clean, and you should not have any real trouble with them.

I'll quit rambling now.... Good Luck! Anything you wish to know, just ask.
This is really informative. Good tips on handling interactions with cops; I was wondering about that. Also, good to know about not taking MW jobs at the resorts; you've got to earn more. And it was reasuring to know you don't absolutely have to set out with a fridge, shower, toilet, etc. Just focus on your bed so that you can get good sleep. I'm still in the planning phase and haven't been out overnite in my SUV again since I had so much trouble sleeping while breathing in cold air.