My van camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Campsite.jpgAstro Cot.jpg
GO SMALL, GO FAR!

Hi all you van loving guys and gals.

Tip: When entering state always stop at Visitor Ctr, get road map(more detail than Atlas) and state park guide, also ask
if they have discount coupons for Seniors, Veterans, AARP etc. Also check for Corps of Engineer parks in state.
They are normally cheap and have good facilities.

Attached is picture of Coleman cot in van, and storage boxes, I can put 10 such boxes for food clothes cooking gear
etc. Unless your taking the kitchen sink this is adequate for one person. Still have a lot of space for other items in van.

Second picture is a campsite I have selected for spring and summer use. Will include more when I get chance.

Good luck out there and be safe!

Attachments

• Campsite.jpg
    Campsite.jpg
    443.1 KB
  • Astro Cot.jpg
    Astro Cot.jpg
    231.2 KB
GO SMALL,GO FAR!

Thanks all you Van loving Guys and Gals for stopping by.

TIPS: Start saving those little packets of ketchup, mustard and mayo, etc, they save well and are free with that Fast Food, Salt, pepper,Sugar

If camping at State, Federal campsites plan to arrive early i.e. before 3pm as you will have much better sited selection

Attachments  Jimmy did about 150K miles on the camping trail, I slept, ate and what ever for many years in this little rig. It now has
315K and is retired to just local trips. Was and is a excellent little car.

The pics of the camp site and toilet are at a free camp USFS forest. There are many of these to enjoy.

See you again in a few days

Be Safe and Get out there and enjoy our beautiful country

Attachments

• 1998 Jimmy.jpg
    1998 Jimmy.jpg
    342.4 KB
  • USFS FREE CAMP 1.jpg
    USFS FREE CAMP 1.jpg
    429.8 KB
  • USFS FREE CAMP.jpg
    USFS FREE CAMP.jpg
    291.5 KB
GO SMALL GO FAR!!!!!!

Hi all you van loving guys and gals. Thanks for checking out this tread!

Why I choose the Astro/Safari van. 1. GM dependability. 2 4.3 engine has good power and ok fuel mileage, 15-19 mpg loaded. 3. AWD available.
     4. Comfortable driving and is quiet inside. 5. Adequate interior space for camping and hauling equipment.

Weekly Tip/s - Heat in harsh weather, I just use my propane camp stove or lantern. but normally just track the temperature band of 50's low and
      80's high. Of course one could use the Mr. buddy heaters. or similar units.

Make sure you have enough of your prescription drugs to last the entire trip, getting a renewal on the road can turn into a hassle. You can
       normally get a 90 day prescription rather easily, also select a nation wide pharmacy to make things go easily.       

Be safe out there and enjoy our beautiful country. Don't Miss Big Bend National Park if your in west Texas. a real gem.

Attachments

• Astro 2000.jpg
    Astro 2000.jpg
    315.2 KB
GO SMALL, GO FAR!

Hi all you van loving guys''s and girls! Thanks for checking in to this thread.

Tips for the the week,  Food storage, Ice Boxes can make a mess of food as you know due to the water.
                                   well cut the top off 1 gallon milk or water bottle and put food that can be damaged in
                                   container.

Clothes pins to seal opened food bags cheap and keeps those potato chips and cereals fresh.

I remove bags from boxes, saves space in food storage area, I use a Sharpie on frozen bags in my
                                     frig/freezer.

Park of the week.  Seminole TX State Park, Nice little museum and tour of canyon with Pictographs on bluffs. Located on HWY 90
                             west of Del Rio. Judge Roy Beans,  Langtry TX a little further west, also has nice museum.

Attachment is a Primitive USFS free campsite with great creek to boot

Attachments

• Free USFS Camp site.jpg
    Free USFS Camp site.jpg
    316.2 KB
Free usfs campsite.jpg
GO SMALL, GO FAR!!

THANKS FOR CHECKING THE THREAD ALL YOU VAN LOVING GUY'S AND GAL'S.

TIP OF WEEK
1. Check those fluids and look over the van real good once a month. More often if doing lots of miles. Dont forget the fan belt.

2. Vick's vapor rub or similar great for all types of issues bug bites, hang nails, bloody nose in dry climates.

3. Solar walk lights with shaft removed, make lighting interior of van easily and saves your battery. recharge on dash during day.

Besides my frig/freezer chest, My XM satellite radio is best investment, keeps you in touch in those remote parts of the west. Plus the tunes are
great, what ever your heart desires.

Park/ point of interest of week. Ft. Davis State Park TX. Birders come from all over world to see the Montezuma quail. Also the old
Army post that was established during Civil war era. Mc Donald Observatory is also near, and has a great star show. check the schedule.

Picks are of USFS free campsites.

All the Best

Attachments

• Free usfs campsite.jpg
    Free usfs campsite.jpg
    496.8 KB
GO SMALL, GO FAR!

Hi all you van loving guy's and gal's. Thanks for checking the tread.

Tips of the week.
1. Peanut Butter, great energy food and with honey or jelly will take care of sweet tooth. Doesn't need refrigeration, stores forever.
    When empty the container makes a great storage for left overs and doesn't leak in cooler.
2. Water I carry 8 gallons in one gallon jugs, especially in southwestern states and the more remote areas. Would provide 10 days
     2 week of supply in a jam. I would also think about getting a water filter. If travel alone and go to remote areas tell someone where your                     going and when they will hear from you.  Cheap insurance, as the old van might let you down.

Park of the week,

Hueco Tanks TX state park east of El Paso TX on Hwy 62, Great little park with tours of the super fine Pictographs and climbing Check out the
park on net.

Well the photo below is not a van but is interesting camper, word is this a full time DIY camper

Be Safe and enjoy our beautiful country.

Attachments

• Live In Power wagon.jpg
    Live In Power wagon.jpg
    203.2 KB
GO SMALL, GO FAR!!!!!

Hi all you van loving guy's and gal's, thanks for checking out this thread!

Tips of the week.
1. Mail, I get mine sent general delivery to post offices on my route of travel, I figure out where I will be in a week or 10 days and
    have it forwarded to that location. I use a mail forwarding service. But many have family or friends do same. I use Escapee's RV
    Club, which as many other benefits, Later on them. Or check out their web site.

2. State of residence, I use TX as it is income tax free state, as is FL, NV, TN and there are a few others. This also can be checked on Google.

3. Check your Tire Pressure frequently, and puff up those big boys to factory specs. as it will save you gas, i.e. BETTER MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PARK OF THE WEEK!  Actually not a park but a area, the Texas Hill County a person could roam this area for weeks and weeks and not
                                   not get bored if you like many different sites and towns etc. example  Camp Verde, where the US Army tried to
                                   use Camel's for the first time prior to Civil War. There are old US Army forts still  out there to be visited. Also there
                                   a couple of areas that the Texas Rangers had camps.

Picture of free campsite and someone enjoying

Attachments

• someone enjoying free campsite.jpg
    someone enjoying free campsite.jpg
    420.5 KB
GO SMALL, GO FAR

Hi all you van loving Guy's and Gal's, Thanks for checking my thread!!!!

TIP OF WEEK:

Fire Extinguisher, Location, Next to exit door, so you can just step outside and grab and hose down fire. Cooking should
be done to the rear of van door or opposite of van door, you DON'T WANT TO GET CAUGHT WITH FIRE BETWEEN YOU AND EXIT DOOR.
IF YOU ARE SLEEPING IN REAR OF VAN, YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER A SECOND EXTINGUISHER, OR MAKE SURE YOU CAN OPEN
REAR DOOR FROM INSIDE AND BAIL OUT. NOT A BAD IDEA IN ANY CASE.  REMEMBER A PAN FIRE CAN NORMALLY BE SNUFFED OUT WITH
LID OR EVEN A FOLDED TOWEL. AT LEAST THEY CAN GIVE YOU TIME TO GET TO EXTINGUISHER.

CAMPING RECOMMENDATION OF WEEK. 
MISSOURI IS A WONDERFUL STATE FOR LARGE SPRINGS AND CAMPING. CHECK OUT THE Mark Twain National  Forest area near the towns of
Van Buren and Eminence MO. You will find some of the following springs and I think they all have associated campgrounds. Big Springs, Round Springs
Alley Springs and Blue Springs. A big plus is this area has the OZARK NATIONAL SCENIC WATERWAY many camping areas through region. If traveling through Mo. on I-44 south of St. James on hwy 8 is lovely large spring at Meamec Spring Park.

Next week tip, Finances!

Enjoy our beautiful country, BE SAFE!

Check out camping on streams in USFS  areas, many lovely free sites.

Attachments

• Creek camping.jpg
    Creek camping.jpg
    408.3 KB
  • Campsite.jpg
    Campsite.jpg
    443.1 KB
  • Free USFS Camp site.jpg
    Free USFS Camp site.jpg
    316.2 KB
Campor99 said:
GO SMALL, GO FAR

Hi all you van loving Guy's and Gal's, Thanks for checking my thread!!!!

TIP OF WEEK:

Fire Extinguisher, Location, Next to exit door, so you can just step outside and grab and hose down fire. Cooking should
be done to the rear of van door or opposite of van door, you DON'T WANT TO GET CAUGHT WITH FIRE BETWEEN YOU AND EXIT DOOR.
IF YOU ARE SLEEPING IN REAR OF VAN, YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER A SECOND EXTINGUISHER, OR MAKE SURE YOU CAN OPEN
REAR DOOR FROM INSIDE AND BAIL OUT. NOT A BAD IDEA IN ANY CASE.  REMEMBER A PAN FIRE CAN NORMALLY BE SNUFFED OUT WITH
LID OR EVEN A FOLDED TOWEL. AT LEAST THEY CAN GIVE YOU TIME TO GET TO EXTINGUISHER.

CAMPING RECOMMENDATION OF WEEK. 
MISSOURI IS A WONDERFUL STATE FOR LARGE SPRINGS AND CAMPING. CHECK OUT THE Mark Twain National  Forest area near the towns of
Van Buren and Eminence MO. You will find some of the following springs and I think they all have associated campgrounds. Big Springs, Round Springs
Alley Springs and Blue Springs. A big plus is this area has the OZARK NATIONAL SCENIC WATERWAY many camping areas through region. If traveling through Mo. on I-44 south of St. James on hwy 8 is lovely large spring at Meamec Spring Park.

Next week tip, Finances!

Enjoy our beautiful country, BE SAFE!

Check out camping on streams in USFS  areas, many lovely free sites.

Missouri has a lot of great free camping, besides what you mentioned most conservation land you can camp for two weeks free. Camping is primitive but you could live in CA areas just by moving every two weeks. Areas can be found on CA online site, warning meth in many rural areas is getting bad, starting to see a lot of break-ins of vehicles. Back in the 80's it was weed and the stoners didn't bother anyone, meth is a different story.  In the Ozark CA areas it gets a little unnerving because vehicles will cruise through the area all times in the night, I sleep  lightly and have a gun near by.  I haven't had any problems but I've know people got spooked so bad they packed up in the middle of the night and left. One other word of caution stay far away during deer season and spring turkey season unless you like getting shot at.

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT AND THINK ABOUT AND SHOW RESPECT ALL THE YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE SERVICE TO

OUR GREAT COUNTRY!  THIS MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND

AS A VETERAN I FEEL IT WAS A PRIVILEGE TO SERVE THE BEST NATION ON THIS PLANET.  GOD BLESS AMERICA!

BE SAFE OUT THERE ALL YOU VAN LOVING GUY'S AND GAL'S.  ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY!

Attachments

• 100_2591.jpg
    100_2591.jpg
    271 KB
GO SMALL GO FAR!

Hi all you van loving Guy's and Gal's, thanks for checking this thread.

Tips of Week, Finance'''''''''''''''''''''''''s. while traveling. I guess this is primarily for long term travelers but many issues apply to our everyday
                      lives.
1. Get yourself a small journal book, it will be good for many things to build a large check list of areas from Finance to Medical, Tools etc and
    will also serve as a trip journal for your adventure.
2. Make a budget, This will include everything that you feel will need per month to get you where you want to go, i.e. Food, Gas Insurance,
    Van expenses, Entertainment etc. Only you know those issues as we all live by different values and financial capabilities. I found that I could
    live well on 1000 per month. Bob Wells has made good video''s on this issue.
3. Figure out how you will pay your monthly bills while on road, I have all my monthly bills setup to pay thru my bank via ACH. Then I only
    have to check to see what is going on via internet or on smart phone.
4. Debt Cars are great in that they can be used as a Credit Card without having to provide your Pin #, this allows immediate payment for goods
    and protects you from those boys out there from hitting you account from South Africa or where ever. I never use my pin except at a BANK
    ATM. I never use the ATM's sitting in the corner of a liquor store or convenience store.  TIP you can as you know get money at WalMart when
    checking out, well thats a good idea as it SAVES you a service charge from the bank.
5. Credit Cards, good for traveling just be careful that your sticking to the budget and make sure you take care of balance.

Hope this helps a bit.

Camping area of the Week: Carson National Forest
Located North and East of Taos NM, Very beautiful area 100's of campsites for the campers. Spent month in area was super.

Next week topic Tools: Be safe and enjoy our beautiful country.

Attachments

• Carson National Forest 1.jpg
    Carson National Forest 1.jpg
    11.8 KB
  • Camper Carson NF.jpg
    Camper Carson NF.jpg
    460.4 KB
  • Carson N F 2.jpg
    Carson N F 2.jpg
    420.8 KB
Campor99 said:
Camping area of the Week: Carson National Forest
Located North and East of Taos NM, Very beautiful area 100's of campsites for the campers. Spent month in area was super.

How did you mount the bikes to the back?

bseek said:
How did you mount the bikes to the back?

Just rotated a regular bike rack vertical versus horizontal, This was a couples rig that I met on my trip , He modified it a bit.

Best and thanks checking the tread.

GO SMALL, GO FAR!!!

Hello again all you Van loving guy's and gal's, thanks for checking this Tread. This is the way I camp, we all are different, If some
of these ideas help, it is the reason I post.

Tip of week, minimum tools, you tool guys will have a host of tools you must have, the following are a bare minimum to get by one and
the list will expand as time goes on. See first photo
1 Screw driver with extra bits, i.e large and small Philips head and flat blades
2. LED flash lite with magnetic cliip. (see photo)
3  Pliers and Vice Grips
4. Cresent Wrench
5. Wrench's from 3/16 to 9/16"

To save money look a flea markets and yard sales.

Park Of Week: Daviis Mountaiin State Park, Fort Davis TX.  Nice area, the Old Fort is a good tourist site, The park is a great BIRDER park, See the
attached Montezuma Quail, that can be seen at bird bilinds in park. Also a attraction in area is McDonald Observatory and their star show.

Next week will be more ideas on helpful tools.

Be Safe and enjoy our beautiful country

Attachments

• Tools.jpg
    Tools.jpg
    215.2 KB
  • Montezuma Quail.jpg
    Montezuma Quail.jpg
    59.6 KB
  • Davis Mountain TX state park.jpg
    Davis Mountain TX state park.jpg
    135.2 KB
  • Larry Light.jpg
    Larry Light.jpg
    189.4 KB
GO SMALL, GO FAR!

Thanks all you van loving Guy's and Gal's for supporting this Thread.

Tip of the week: Tire pressure, check often, have a 12 volt air pump for convenience, Keep tires at Manufacturers recommend PSI.
                          This will save tires and give you the best Miles per gallon. Save gas, drive 55 MPH!!!!! You will also see more along your
                          trip, allows a more pleasant experience of travel, not so hectic as driving max speed limit.

Park of week: Big Bend NP, Big Bend TX. Great Park, lots of hiking trails and sights to see. Has Primitive sites that are much more peaceful.
                      Have hot showers available in park. Hot Springs pool located on bank of Rio Grande, enjoyable. This park is good for at least
                      1 to 2 weeks

Some Pics of park

Drive Safe and enjoy our beautiful country

Attachments

• Big Bend NP TX 2.jpg
    Big Bend NP TX 2.jpg
    427.3 KB
  • Big Bend NP TX.jpg
    Big Bend NP TX.jpg
    379.8 KB
GO SMALL, GO FAR!!!

Thanks all you van loving Guys and Gals for checking this Thread

Tip of the Week: Eat healthy!!! You can't live out of a can, so try and use fresh veggies and fruit. I use a lot of frozen veggies
                           fresh salads and fruit. Food and gas are your big expenses on road, so fix as many meals as you can to save big
                           bucks.

Tool of week: Mine is called a Larry Light, its a Led light with clip (with magnet). Great to clip to shirt collar for reading at night and lights
                      large area for changing a tire or other handy uses. See photo

No Park this week so we can have some fireworks. Enjoy our nations Birth Day, have a safe holiday and enjoy our great country.

Attachments

• Larry Light 2.jpg
    Larry Light 2.jpg
    176.3 KB
  • Fireworks 1.jpg
    Fireworks 1.jpg
    136 KB
  • Fireworks 3.jpg
    Fireworks 3.jpg
    17.3 KB
GO SMALL GO FAR!!!!

Thanks all you van loving guys and gals for checking this thread.

Well I just spent 10 days in the high desert area of Nevada. This is located North of Tonopah NV and south of HwY 50 Desert in valleys
and small trees on mountains. Interesting area, dotted with abandoned mines and towns of the silver and gold strikes. Some file photos
of area below as forgot my camera. Humbolt - Toiyabe NF.which is reported the largest NF of the lower 48 states.

Tip of week: Unless you are a off road enthusiastic highway tire tread will take good care of you even on dirt/gravel roads. They will get
you better fuel mileage that the off road treads.

Tool of week, GI folding shovel/digging tool plus camp saw and great knife

Enjoy our great country and be safe.

Attachments

• Toiyabe NF 1.jpg
    Toiyabe NF 1.jpg
    112.2 KB
  • Toiyable NF2.jpg
    Toiyable NF2.jpg
    293.8 KB
  • Nice extra tools.jpg
    Nice extra tools.jpg
    305.4 KB
your in my country. you are basically correct about the tires, but I would like to add they better be load range E. the thing about off road tires is, good ones like BFG's are they have a stronger side wall then street tires. very important imo. highdesertranger

GO SMALL, GO FAR!

Hi all you van loving Guy's and Gal's, thanks for following this Thread!! We are all different in our ideas, this is the way I enjoy the van life. it
works for me. pick and choose what works for you or disregard.  Have fun out there!

Did you remember to check all your fluids and tires the first of the month?

Tip of Week, Fluids, I drive 2 high mileage vehicles and use Mystery Oil in both, it cleans the engine interior moving parts and injectors. The other
is Oil for high mileage engines. My SUV has 320K and the Van 180K, neither has had engine problems and run great. I change oil every 3000 mi, I put
have the bottle of Mystery Oil in crankcase and the balance in fuel tank.

Park of Week is Palo Duro Canyon Tx State Park. Reported to be the 2nd largest canyon in US, and rich in history. Last great Indian Wars battle in
Texas.

Enjoy our great country. and be safe.

Attachments

• Fluids.jpg
    Fluids.jpg
    352.4 KB
  • palo duro state park.jpg
    palo duro state park.jpg
    632 KB
  • Palo_Duro_Canyon_State_Park_2002.jpg
    Palo_Duro_Canyon_State_Park_2002.jpg
    270.3 KB
  • Palo-Duro-Canyon-State-Park 2.jpg
    Palo-Duro-Canyon-State-Park 2.jpg
    832 KB
Campor99 said:
Park of week: Big Bend NP, Big Bend TX. Great Park, lots of hiking trails and sights to see. Has Primitive sites that are much more peaceful.
                      Have hot showers available in park. Hot Springs pool located on bank of Rio Grande, enjoyable. This park is good for at least
                      1 to 2 weeks

Great suggestion. I spent a week in Beg Bend and was blown away. What a great, under-appreciated park. I gotta get back there!

Campor99 said:
Park of Week is Palo Duro Canyon Tx State Park. Reported to be the 2nd largest canyon in US, and rich in history. Last great Indian Wars battle in
Texas.

Looks like a beautiful place. What's the camping situation like there?